Linux Mint Debian for the State of Florida

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
starrfleat
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint Debian for the State of Florida

Post by starrfleat »

Since Linux Mint Debian seems relatively smooth and stable, I'm thinking that, like Linux for the New York Stock Exchange (I think it was Red Hat), Linux Mint Debian may be a good sell for the state of Florida.
I don't exactly know how to make it happen. I work for Hillsborough County, Florida, in the Clerk of The Court system in the city of Tampa. They are in the process of updating their computers; I've seen a warehouse where they have just received about 140 new ones. Their MIS is a bit ignorant. Their internal LAN is run on Windows XP at present. I think they are planning to upgrade their windows from XP to Vista. I don't think they even realize that Windows 7 exists.
Since Florida, like most states, is painfully short of money, going to an O/S that is continually updated without having to buy and install a new O/S every few years would be a boon and real money saver. They have continuous problems with email viruses and those brought in by unauthorized CDs and flash drives. I'd think that a Linux system would cut those down, if not prevent them. Even if you had an annual or triannual (ever three year) user fee, I think it would still beat windows.
Since the MIS in my own area is a bit short sighted, going above them to state level, vs county or city level, would be best in my opinion. If the state goes for Linux Mint Debian, then city and county agencies should have to fall in line.
I do have an ulterior motive, of course. Saving the state and county money may help retain my job. I'm too low in the hierarchy to get this suggestion even considered, much less implemented. I'd urge you to contact the state, possibly in Tallahassee, and see what requirements there for submitting such a proposal. With states in a bind for dollars, this seems like the time to try to let Linux Mint Debian become more than just an experiment. Maybe you could try this proposal to several states. Or, in some cases, it might pay to propose at city or county levels. I'm sure it's not easy to fight the Microsoft monopoly. But the money savings with Linux Mint Debian may be the ticket. Local applications may have to be designed, as well. For example, the county court system I work in has a localized application to check out and track court files. In this particular case, they bought an A"off-the-shelf" application, let it sit for 10 years, they had to hire a programmer to get it to do some semblance of what they wanted. I don't know if the whole state is this way. But. if the info helps you, it may help me.
thx1138

Re: Linux Mint Debian for the State of Florida

Post by thx1138 »

You can get individual support here.
But first you have to write a good report to your bosses.
Your chiefs will decide about your idea and feasibility.

Beware: Politics rule, not ideas without a lobby/money.
starrfleat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by starrfleat »

I wrote this in the Promotion Forum; I wasn't looking for support on how to run Linux Mint Debian, or any program running under that O/S.
I am far too low on the "totem pole" to write any sort of report. Or, for my bosses to do more than use it as toilet paper. The MIS at my
level is too benighted to even understand my proposal, much less take it under consideration.
This is why I wrote my suggestion in this forum. It is for the consideration of the team programming and administering Linux Mint Debian.
If they could create a presentation and draft a proposal, and make it to the state of Florida, then something may be accomplished. If someone
like myself were to attempt such a proposal, it would be looked upon as though made by the lowliest of beggars. A bit of delusion for the
government's psychiatrists to worry about, but nothing for anyone of substance to consider. :cry:
kvv

Post by kvv »

Bumping this, because I would like to know the issues involved when upgrading a medium to large institution from Windows XP to a Linux operating system. Somethings that occurred to me.
  • Since XP support is running out soon, switching to Linux will actually be a very viable option.
  • Is LMDE really the best option (given the extra bloat from mintTools), as compared to Debian stable or CentOS or RedHat (with a stable desktop environment)?
  • How about the effective cost benefit (both long term and short term) incurred when switching from XP to Linux?
Has anyone here actually been involved such a transition?

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”