Could I get an assist?

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BostonPeng

Could I get an assist?

Post by BostonPeng »

One of the apps I use regularly is Webilder, which helps me find new images that can be desktop walls. Today I ran Webilder's downloader and saw a great image on Flickr. I'd like to make a Mint KDE wall out of it, and I already have a good idea what I want to do, but the image uses a lot of green, and while it can work for regular Mint it doesn't work so well for Mint KDE IMO. Does someone know of a way I could recolor the image to feature blue rather than green? I have Gimp installed but I have no clue how I might use it to accomplish what I want to do.

I'm planning on sharing what I eventually come up with, and possibly in versions for Mint and Mint KDE, once I get them done.

@Mods:
If this is in the wrong section, please move it to the right section.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
soapy138

Re: Could I get an assist?

Post by soapy138 »

if i remember correctly (havent used gimp in awhile) if theres only certain parts (eg green) that you want to change, create a path that has that in it, *the smart wand tool would be useful here* then go to the colors tab and there should be a few different options there that you can change the color, hue/saturation might work well. if you are more familiar with photoshop you could get gimpshop instead of gimp...
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thanks, soapy. I'll give that a shot. Unfortunately I'm not much of an artist so it's probably going to be a lot of trial and error. As far as Photoshop goes I looked at it briefly over a decade ago and decided it was way over my head.

I do have a version of what I'm thinking of with the green I can show to help show why I'm wanting a blue version of that image so badly. It's a work in progress and I'm not 100% thrilled with what I have so far.
soapy138

Post by soapy138 »

just remembered, i think when you adjust the color/hue/saturation gimp adjusts the whole layer, regardless of your selection. so you might have to make your selection that you want to adjust the color on, copy it, and paste it as a new layer, then adjust the color on the new layer.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Wait. What? You're in Boston, but you wear a Dodgers cap?
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

That's exactly what I planned to do. Once I can get caught up with my email and info sources for the morning. 8)
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I've lived in Boston for about 20 years but I've been a Dodger fan since junior high back in the 70's. And I have no interest in trading caps for one for the local 9. :D
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Well, as long as you can take the harassment... :lol:
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Not a prob. For the past two years I had no problem letting the locals know that they don't hate Manny any less than I do. Although I do need a new cap. My current one is definitely looking the worse for the wear.
colyn

Post by colyn »

BostonPeng wrote: Although I do need a new cap. My current one is definitely looking the worse for the wear.
Simple fix.....get a Texas Rangers ball cap... :lol: :lol: :lol:
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Why? I might as well get an Angels cap in that case, although the Angels don't know how to read a map. :wink:

Typos. Boy, I don't know.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

BostonPeng

There are a few ways to accomplish this with some being harder than others. Lets look at one that is perhaps the easiest.

Open the image in Gimp > Duplicate the layer in the layer dialog window (making sure that the new layer that you will be working on is above the original) > Use the Colorize Tool to pick a hue that you like (experiment with hue, saturation and lightness using the tool) > Set the Layer Mode to Screen in the layer dialog window (This step should preserve some of the small background colors while changing the overall foreground colors) > Review your work and repeat process if needed or use the undo steps button.

Please see the below example:
example-mod.png
I didn't know the exact hue that you were looking for, but this should serve as an example of what you can do. :)

I'm planning on sharing what I eventually come up with, and possibly in versions for Mint and Mint KDE, once I get them done.
Please take note that the original artist of this image has it listed as All Rights Reserved. Using this image for your own personal use should be just fine, but you should contact him/her before making any public release of any derivative work that you conceive. This is normal protocol. Most people will normally allow this as long as it is an not for profit project of their work.

Hope this helps! :)
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

That's what I was looking to do, although I may try to use something close to the Oxygen colors to make it more of a KDE wall. As far as the permissions goes, thanks for pointing it out. I had completely forgotten to check permissions. Thanks for the reminder. I'll see about contacting the author, although if it's only through Flickr I'll be stuck since I ditched my Yahoo! account over a year ago and I'm not interested in making a new one just for this one purpose.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

I'll see about contacting the author, although if it's only through Flickr I'll be stuck since I ditched my Yahoo! account over a year ago and I'm not interested in making a new one just for this one purpose.
I completely understand. The original artist photo site has a contact page HERE which has an email address where you can make contact directly. You may want to send him/her a link to this thread as well. I believe that this would be a cool project. It is a very beautiful photo. I hope that you will continue with it.

The most important aspect in changing the color is setting the working layer mode to screen. That should give you the desired results that you are looking for while preserving the nuances of the colors that you intend on keeping.

Please let me know if I can be of any help. :)
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain

Return to “Your Artwork”