Custom Made PC's with Linux Mint Pre-Installed

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
lilrebel68

Custom Made PC's with Linux Mint Pre-Installed

Post by lilrebel68 »

I am in the process of gathering info for a new business.. I build custom computers and Really would like to focus my business around Linux Mint.. I haven't decided what Version of Mint to install, but I would greatly like to talk to Clem, or somebody close to Clem, and talk about this idea.. I Really want to do this, and I would greatly appreciate not only the input of the community, but also any participation that I can have.. I would also like to get in touch with The TEZ who had the "Powered by Linux Mint" stickers.. because those would be applied to every computer that leaves the door..

Here's a brief overview of the product line.

The Claymore - An entry end computer.
The Gladiator - A mid end computer.
The Spartan - A high end computer.
??? - A server computer with no name Yet.. Clem, i need to talk to you about a recommendation for the OS for this.
??? - A media center computer with no name yet.. I would also like a recommendation for this OS also..
I also have a Security Center PC.. but i am going to wait until I can determine feasibility and demand for it..

I am gathering info and getting things organized.. I would appreciate any help I can get from the Community.. You guys are going to be a big part of this.. I appreciate the help.. God Bless..
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Custom Made PC's with Linux Mint Pre-Installed

Post by exploder »

Where you are located could determine what you would need to use. In the US it is illegal to redistribute libdvdcss2, something to think about. You can make a request to Adobe to redistribute Flash and they will most likely allow you to. IcedTea Java can be legally used because it is open source. You don't want to get things going well just to receive an order to cease or worse yet a lawsuit against you. I mention these things because I had similar ideas about selling computers with Linux pre-installed.The Universal Edition or a slightly modified remaster would probably be the smart thing to do.

Use good quality hardware, don't try and sell a cheap computer. Many have tried selling cheap computers and failed! Wallmart tried selling cheap computers with gOS installed, they were cheap junk and did not do very well. System 76 does pretty well, they use quality name brand components. Keep your pricing competitive, what I mean is don't try to beat the pricing of Windows machines, people tend to associate price with quality to some degree.

If you are selling on-line, provide as much information as you can so people know exactly what they are buying. List the advantages like System 76 does. I have lots of ideas on selling Linux machines. The biggest hurdle to overcome is getting components in volume for a reasonable price so you can turn a profit.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

Good Luck With your new business :)
I have been in the Repair, Sale and Building computers systems about ten(10)Yrs. have tried to sell Linux computers but the market is just not there people wants windows (I just do this local) One of the reasons i have not tried National is the cost.
I noted what you want to offer-Is this to start :?: That's too many systems for a start up the way things is now unless you have your own money it will be hard to get started.
Also to offer only desktops is not good you will need some kind of laptop if you are going to put mint on these computers you must do you R & D on the parts you use, As noted by exploder cheap don't cut it and most Linux Buyers will know more about computers than the ave. Joe So if you started out bad you will be Doomed :) Here's Good Luck To You.
TheTeZ

Post by TheTeZ »

This would be cool to actually stumble across. A Distributer/Custom builder distributing mint boxes.
Of Course i can make More Stickers, More Designs, what ever, although i like the simple ones i have.

Just a few things to think about, obviously the flash issue stated above. I build custom computers as well, and repair / screw around with computers in any way i can. I was on the quest to find a linux distro i REALLY liked, i tried about 2 dozen o.s's, i really liked Wolvix Linux [almost slackware though] and Linux Mint, and mint was a little more simple, and would appeal to the masses more, and well i liked it that little bit more. The Reason i found linux is because i was into building and messing around with computers, Thats the reason i found linux and wanted it. Im just curious if the normal user, the person going to purchase a computer will buy a linux box. Why would they? I've got 1 other friend who uses linux, and hes got a job at google. Otherwise any other of my friends have only even heard of it because of me. Windows is the standard. The point im trying to make here is people who want linux mint, are probably not going to have problems building their own computers, because what ever they can find can go into it. Tiger and newegg are both relatively cheap, even for decent parts, especially if your a "premium customer" or just signed up for their e-mail alerts. I just dont know how successful it would be,

Im not trying to discourage you, im saying you REALLY need to market yourself to those who dont know what mint is, in a way that will make them want it, make them feel it will at the very most suit their needs, what ever they may be, or even be better than what they currently have.

If you are going to be building boxes soon you'd like the powered by linux mint stickers on just hit me up in a PM.
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

I agree with the advice about fewer desktop configs to start, and adding a laptop and/or netbook, if that is feasible. One possible marketing ploy would be to quote the "Windows" config as your standard price, then offer a discount equal to the cost of Windows for a Linux machine.

Good luck.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

exploder wrote:Where you are located could determine what you would need to use. In the US it is illegal to redistribute libdvdcss2, something to think about. You can make a request to Adobe to redistribute Flash and they will most likely allow you to. IcedTea Java can be legally used because it is open source. You don't want to get things going well just to receive an order to cease or worse yet a lawsuit against you. I mention these things because I had similar ideas about selling computers with Linux pre-installed.The Universal Edition or a slightly modified remaster would probably be the smart thing to do.

Use good quality hardware, don't try and sell a cheap computer. Many have tried selling cheap computers and failed! Wallmart tried selling cheap computers with gOS installed, they were cheap junk and did not do very well. System 76 does pretty well, they use quality name brand components. Keep your pricing competitive, what I mean is don't try to beat the pricing of Windows machines, people tend to associate price with quality to some degree.

If you are selling on-line, provide as much information as you can so people know exactly what they are buying. List the advantages like System 76 does. I have lots of ideas on selling Linux machines. The biggest hurdle to overcome is getting components in volume for a reasonable price so you can turn a profit.
they have a USA/Japan distribution disk For magazines, companies and distributors in the USA, Japan and countries where the legislation allows patents to apply to software and distribution of restricted technologies may require the acquisition of 3rd party licenses. but it is gnome only the dev team would have to make one for each desktop for it to be usable for more than just gnome link to it is http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
kvv

Post by kvv »

exploder wrote: Keep your pricing competitive, what I mean is don't try to beat the pricing of Windows machines, people tend to associate price with quality to some degree.
I don't completely agree with this. If you can sell a midlevel computer for a cheaper price with Linux Mint pre-installed on it, I would scrap all Windows computers and buy this. A big reason why people go to linux is because it is free (as in beer).
paulo.delavega
Level 2
Level 2

Post by paulo.delavega »

kvv wrote:
exploder wrote: Keep your pricing competitive, what I mean is don't try to beat the pricing of Windows machines, people tend to associate price with quality to some degree.
I don't completely agree with this. If you can sell a midlevel computer for a cheaper price with Linux Mint pre-installed on it, I would scrap all Windows computers and buy this. A big reason why people go to linux is because it is free (as in beer).
Yes, people buy Linux PCs because it's cheaper. That doesn't mean they are willing to stick to it.

A suggestion: you could sell the Mint PCs and, if they don't like it, install Windows for just the Windows' price. I think it would be fair enough and encourage people to at least give it a try...
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Hey thanks, your project just gave me a great idea for a Christmas gift, a custom Live DVD of LTS Isadora with convenient applets of commonly used applications added to panel, firefox configured as i like it, and gnome-baker, xsane, and VLC preinstalled, and of course, with the latest updates and kernel.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

kvv wrote:I don't completely agree with this. If you can sell a midlevel computer for a cheaper price with Linux Mint pre-installed on it, I would scrap all Windows computers and buy this. A big reason why people go to linux is because it is free (as in beer).
The problem is that the price difference between a PC with Windows and with Linux is going to be around $40. In some cases, such as with System76, the price is actually EQUAL to a Windows PC and not as powerful (less RAM, smaller HDD, etc) compared to what Dell/HP/etc offers.

Linux will never compete with Windows on any level. It's unfortunate.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”