root partition LUKS encryption possible?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Silberwoelfin

root partition LUKS encryption possible?

Post by Silberwoelfin »

Hi there,

I would like to encrypt my root partition during the installation progress of Linux Mint Debian Edition. Is that possible?
I already tried this but it doesn't seem to work. During installation there is always a warning 'low on disk space' for the root filesystem displayed, despite the root partition having 10G of disk space which should be enough.
Or maybe I did something wrong with the logical volumes, in GParted the option for logical volume was disabled, so I used primary and only marked the partition as 'lvm'.

Greetings,
Silberwoelfin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dfx

Re: root partition LUKS encryption possible?

Post by dfx »

At the moment the installer doesn't support installation on lvm or raid volumes. There's an anouncment for an new version of LMDE with an improved installer, which should be released this month. Maybe it also supports that kind of installation.

Nevertheless it's possible to get a running LUKS setup, although it requires some effort. Basically you install LMDE the normal way on a seperate drive/partition/computer and then copy all the files to the encrypted drive, you have created using the manual mentioned. Afterwards you have to install grub, cryptsetup, lvm and update your initramfs.
Silberwoelfin

Post by Silberwoelfin »

Thanks for your answer.
I think, I will wait a few weeks and see if it works then.

Otherwise, probably a normal Debian installation with an upgrade to LMDE should also work, don't you think?

Greetings,
Silberwoelfin
dfx

Post by dfx »

Yes, an upgrade from debian should also work fine. I think it would even more easy than my approach ;-)
CyL

Post by CyL »

Just in case you're still interested, I've made a guide on how to install LMDE with whole disk encryption. It is available at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p364620

Hope that helps!

Return to “LMDE Archive”