LMDE installer can't find dm-crypt / LUKS partitions ?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Epipsychidion

Re: LMDE installer can't find dm-crypt / LUKS partitions ?

Post by Epipsychidion »

Hi Nevchen,

Yeah, I had the same problem when installing LMDE too. I'd love to have a LVM based, fully encrypted system, but alas it wasn't to be. I tried for ages, using how-to's made for Mint Standard (Gnome), but alas I was stumped when it was time to install to my encrypted drive. Here's hoping the new installer will fix this, as then LMDE would be pure heaven for me

--EDIT--
Sorry, I forgot to say welcome to the forums!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dfx

Post by dfx »

You can try one of the two ways mentioned here
macias

Post by macias »

It looks like to many hoops for such a standard procedure as encrypted install.

Anyway, I was bitten by this too -- I encrypted partitions just to realize LMDE installer checks only physical partitions. Pity :-(
gorillaki

Post by gorillaki »

I have LMDE on my laptop with full dm-crypt (root/swap/home).
I had to use the squeeze beta2 netinstall CD, do the Debian Testing basic installation from there, and then add the lmde and debian-multimedia repositories.
Adding the mint packages was not smooth, because for some reason a needed package (gstreamer010-pitfdll) is not available in /testing, and I had to retrieve it from Sid. I also had some issues with nouveau (KMS freezing at gdm3 prompt), I solved it by disabling KMS and installing the nvidia blob drivers.
CyL

Post by CyL »

Just in case you're still interested, I've made a guide on how to install LMDE with whole disk encryption. It is available at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p364620

Hope that helps!
macias

Post by macias »

Very impressive. Thank you very much for the sharing! Thanks to you, I will read more about LVM, maybe it is time to move to that solution as well.
macias

Post by macias »

Just for the record -- I tried the second way, which should be simpler, i.e. installing Debian and then converting it to LMDE.

Debian with encryption and LVM:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=46874
Conversion:
http://www.khattam.info/howto-change-de ... 11-27.html

Either I am really stupid or this does not work.
a) after setting encrypted partition and on top of this, LVM initially Debian while booting tries to set up LVM, instead of dmcrypt (but from installation the dependency should be known), I don't know how this affect the rest of the process of starting the system

b) despite 3 hours installation, and enabling Desktop environment, none of WM/DM starts by default, and startx is not available

c) since system is working, I tried the conversion -- when I executed first command, update of the system, apt-get stopped working with error stating there is no signature for LinuxMint repo

So, for now I am stuck...

Return to “LMDE Archive”