apt-get speeds?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
inktitan

apt-get speeds?

Post by inktitan »

Not a huge issue but I am curious as to what the average download speeds using apt-get install/dist-upgrade in Mint Debian are. I keep hitting around 100kBs or less. I want to know if this is because of my ISP or if it is due to heavy traffic or bandwidth restrictions. It was faster on Mint 9 XFCE but even that began to slow down before I made the upgrade to Debian. I suspect it is Comcast but I want to know if this is a common issue before I make the phone call. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rtrev

Re: apt-get speeds?

Post by rtrev »

Same here. My cable connection (Road Runner, Rochester, NY) limps along anywhere from 25 to 200 kB/s trying to get updates. And just now it took about 20 tries to even get into the forum. I think the Mint servers are getting hammered for some reason.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

I'm glad you brought that up. I too have been having trouble accessing the forums lately. I guess since Julia was released they are getting a lot more attention than usual.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

I'm glad you brought that up. I too have been having trouble accessing the forums lately. I guess since Julia was released they are getting a lot more attention than usual.
eightup1

Post by eightup1 »

inktitan wrote:Not a huge issue but I am curious as to what the average download speeds using apt-get install/dist-upgrade in Mint Debian are. I keep hitting around 100kBs or less. I want to know if this is because of my ISP or if it is due to heavy traffic or bandwidth restrictions. It was faster on Mint 9 XFCE but even that began to slow down before I made the upgrade to Debian. I suspect it is Comcast but I want to know if this is a common issue before I make the phone call. Thanks.
when i did the first suggested updates ( 550 updates) it took 5 1/2 hours to download i watched the download speed fluctuate from 200kb's to 1000B's mostly averaging around 25Kb's it was pretty ridiculous ..... im on a 10Mb cable connection
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

You can receive downloads only as fast as the server sends them, no matter how fast your connection to the internet is. You might want to take a look at apt-fast, which is a script to download files in multiple threads from the same server. I find that for some reason, though, the last portion stalls so long that there is no net gain. When getting updates I do see that some servers are much faster than others. I think it depends on the speed of the server, how many connections it has, among other things.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

Well at least I am not alone on this. I guess I can let Comcast slide this time.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

I too have very poor connection to Mint forum. It often stopped responding intermittently for last few days.
I do not have any reason to suspect my ISP.

Anywhere when I suspect some problems with the ISP, I simply run speedtest.net to check the latency, download and upload speed. When you have your ISP Plan you know what is the expected download speed and upload speed anyway. Running speedtest will confirm that your ISP is providing you with what you paid for.
It is good to also run speedtest directly with your ISP's server ( if they provide for your convenience), that can clear thing quickily.

There is a possible issue caused by your own home network/router, if you notice a drastic increase on your latency ( thus your surfing slow down a lot) , you should check whether you own network is having some devices/computers running torrent with high upload, the upload bandwidth is small, when torrent runs, it activates many connections and will jam your upload and cause very high latency.
eightup1

Post by eightup1 »

sgosnell wrote:You can receive downloads only as fast as the server sends them, no matter how fast your connection to the internet is. You might want to take a look at apt-fast, which is a script to download files in multiple threads from the same server. I find that for some reason, though, the last portion stalls so long that there is no net gain. When getting updates I do see that some servers are much faster than others. I think it depends on the speed of the server, how many connections it has, among other things.

i'm hoping that it's just because it's a new distro and so many people are slamming the servers for updates .... hopefully it will get better
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Mint isn't a major distro with a multi-millionaire heading it up. Ubuntu can afford arrays of servers, with the highest-speed connections available. I doubt that Mint has more than one server, maybe a few, and it doesn't take that many simultaneous users to slow it down. I think you're getting all the speed and convenience you're paying for, though. :wink:
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

The updates LMDE users are getting would mostly be coming directly from the Debian servers, no?

LMDE is the first thing other than Ubuntu that I've used, so I have no idea what's typical.

Distrowatch seems to suggest that Mint is the #3 distro, which is pretty impressive! Would certainly explain why the forums slow down sometimes. :D
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

Speaking of servers, I can't seem to get a good enough connection to update at all:

Code: Select all

Failed to fetch http://packages.linuxmint.com/dists/debian/Release.gpg  Could not connect to packages.linuxmint.com:80 (80.86.83.193). - connect (110: Connection timed out)
Failed to fetch http://packages.linuxmint.com/dists/debian/import/i18n/Translation-en.bz2  Unable to connect to packages.linuxmint.com:http:
Failed to fetch http://packages.linuxmint.com/dists/debian/import/i18n/Translation-en_US.bz2  Unable to connect to packages.linuxmint.com:http:
Failed to fetch http://packages.linuxmint.com/dists/debian/main/i18n/Translation-en.bz2  Unable to connect to packages.linuxmint.com:http:
And it goes on with lots more errors.

Anybody else seeing this?
eightup1

Post by eightup1 »

this may help some people ... if you go into your menu and select software sources then open the dropdown box that says ( download from ) then click select best server it will ping all of their servers and give you an option ( it actually froze on me the first time and i had to xkill it ) then highlight the server it found and click choose server .... if these servers dont seem to be any faster next time you do some updates, its just as easy to switch back to the main ones ....
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

Thanks. I think I'll do that. I had let it find me one in Canada which was faster, but it seemed to be lagging behind. The main server had offered me two updates, and the Canadian one said there were zero updates. Still, waiting for it to catch up has to be better than not getting anything.

Will try that again. And thanks again.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

Turns out hitting ctrl+alt+F1 and logging in as root then running apt-get dist-upgrade significantly increases my download speeds from the repos for LMDE. Unless by coincidence they managed to fix the speeds just as I discovered I could do this.

Return to “LMDE Archive”