My story: Migration From Ubuntu to LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bluelight

My story: Migration From Ubuntu to LMDE

Post by bluelight »

Rolling release Linux Mint (LMDE)

This is my story of Linux Mint rolling release on an Intel DG965RY board. For 3 years Ubuntu worked flawlessly on the first install on this board.
In Dec 2010 I decided to give a rolling release as we run into some mayor issue using Ubuntu LTS . http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1620303
The upgrades on Ubuntu (6 months) however went smooth for the most part. Only the introduction of the ext4 file system made a reinstall necessary.
After shifting from Maverik 32 bit to Linux Mint 32 bit rolling release I encountered a number of issues:

Graphic chip (Intel DG965)
After installing Google Earth I got this error
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Then I noticed that the Compiz didn't work either and that the 3D acceleration had become dysfunctional.
The reason for this was missing 2 packages; libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx were missing. It was quite difficult to find this out.
Thanks to Gust (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&p=319935)
this could finally be solved:
sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

The Logitech webcam didn't work. That was easy to fix as this is a known bug which Skype is aware of but did not fix yet.
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/219
Firstly open Terminal and copy and paste the line below.

sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/skype

This will open your editor with a blank text file, copy and paste the following lines into your blank text file.

Use lines below for x86(32bit)

#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype

Use lines below for x64(64bit)

#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype

Save the file and close it.

Now to make the file executable, copy and paste the following line into terminal.

sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/skype

Close the Terminal, start Skype and webcam works.
Now your webcam is working you can optionally (to improve the quality of your webcam picture), install v4l2ucp(video for linux 2 universal control panel) from the Software or Package Manager(after installation this can be found under Preferences "Video4Linux Control Panel" from the main menu .This will allow you to adjust the Contrast, Gamma, Auto Gain and Sharpness of your video.

Listen music player doesn't start
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... it=+exaile

Fix for exaile, pitivi and listen

Remove the package "python-gi" it fixes them all, I did it and got exaile 3.2 working. This fixes the problem with it crashing when you try to play a song. The problem with the exaile 2.14 in the default repo not starting is another problem, I think with a package it needs not being automatically installed or something.

Sbackup not available from repositories
That is a real pity because the mintbackup package is too simple for me. Sbackup (and nssbackup) has become a solid, easy to configure and very reliable backup tool for home use. A Debian package for Sid is available but outdated (version 0.10.3).
Since Linux Mint doesn't offer any alternative I installed Version 0.11.3 from source
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sbackup/
Following dependencies needed to be installed:
sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse curlftpfs liberror-perl autopoint gettext git libbluetooth3 sshfs python-setuptools libunistring0 gvfs-backends

Then I followed the instructions in the INSTALL file.

Sound
Sometimes the sound doesn't work or works on some applications but not others. Nothing to do here than simple to reboot but this is definitely a serious bug.
As of Dec 10th this didn't happen any more.

My first impression:
The Mint team did a great job. Thanks all involved for this effort - congratulations! The most interesting aspect of it for me is the rolling aspect. I am looking for a solution to this one :-) http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1620303

I was positive surprised about the fact that most “extra” software was already in the mint repositories which is great in particular for beginners with the only exception of sbackup. On the other hand the ppa model from launchpad which makes Ubuntu so flexible and up to date is not implemented. Once a software is not in the repositories or outdated there is little alternative.

I observe that the systray is a bit shaky and sbackup or listen for example can't display notifications or are not operable.
Whether one likes the mint menu or not is a personal question. I like both - the Mint and the Ubuntu model.

Also these 2 post are interesting when choosing LMDE.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 44&start=0
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=55493
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: My story: Migration From Ubuntu to LMDE

Post by tdockery97 »

I think the main thing to be careful with in LMDE is in what updates you try to hold back on. I continually had my video borked after updates, most likely because I tried to selectively hold back certain updates. Recently I installed WICD so that I could update outside of X, and I made sure to do the complete apt-get dist-upgrade from CLI rather than hold anything back. I found that after the last updates nothing got borked and LMDE is running smooth as silk. :mrgreen:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kneekoo »

bluelight wrote:Rolling release Linux Mint (LMDE)
sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Man, I can't thank you enough. I have an Intel D946GZIS motherboard and I had issues as well with my GMA 3100. I had no acceleration at all. Now I can play my little games. :D

It's interesting that Linux Mint 10 has proper video drivers even when booting from the live CD, but LMDE doesn't. Thanks a lot! :)
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

Many thanks bluelight two excellent tips :D
I just done a fresh install of LMDE and used your Skype and Rythmbox tips, both worked but the python-gi needed a reboot.
I've used several ways of getting skype working but I think this is the best.

I would suggest changing the topic subject although correct to "Skype and media player fixes" or something so folk find it easier to find.
thanks again
ukbrian
waneeta

Post by waneeta »

What is the easiest way to install Ubuntu? I am planning to dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.04, I have already burned Ubuntu into a CD and have also downloaded the ISO. But when I go to My Computer to start the installation, a different icon appears. And when I open it with ISO Buster, it opens up separately. I'm confused on what to click.. just to start the installation. Are there any other things I need to download to install Ubuntu? What is the easiest way to install Ubuntu?
Last edited by waneeta on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kittum

Post by Kittum »

Excellent record. Well worth the time it took to keep track the events and to post them all.
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

waneeta wrote:What is the easiest way to install Ubuntu? I am planning to dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.04, I have already burned Ubuntu into a CD and have also downloaded the ISO. But when I go to My Computer to start the installation, a different icon appears. And when I open it with ISO Buster, it opens up separately. I'm confused on what to click.. just to start the installation. Are there any other things I need to download to install Ubuntu? What is the easiest way to install Ubuntu?
You might find this video helpful http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=56065
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

waneeta wrote:What is the easiest way to install Ubuntu? I am planning to dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.04, I have already burned Ubuntu into a CD and have also downloaded the ISO. But when I go to My Computer to start the installation, a different icon appears. And when I open it with ISO Buster, it opens up separately. I'm confused on what to click.. just to start the installation. Are there any other things I need to download to install Ubuntu? What is the easiest way to install Ubuntu?
Sounds like you are trying to install via Wubie---I would really tend to tell you not to do it that way...it makes Ubuntu install as a "program" within your Windows install...I've seen quite a few installs go wrong like that.....Normally I really clean the windows install (defrag--remove temp files-etc) & then boot the iso & follow the prompts---the partitioner will move the windows install & put Ubuntu beside windows.....works much better that way & if windows gets b0rked you still has a OS to use.......

To go further, I would recommend you to ubuntuforums.org & try the beginners forum.

Return to “LMDE Archive”