nautilus-wallpaper (Solved)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jrios

nautilus-wallpaper (Solved)

Post by jrios »

Hello I try to install nautilus-wallpaper in LMDE to put my image as wallpaper in gnome but this software is not in the repositories.

Do you know how to install this or other alternative software to change quickly my wallpaper?

Best regards, Julio.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CiaW

Re: nautilus-wallpaper

Post by CiaW »

Do you mean wallpaper for your desktop? Or backgrounds for your folder?

For your desktop you can right click on your desktop and select 'Change Desktop Background' and you'll see several available and the ability to 'add', where you can then select an image from another folder if you want. Though I'm using a Mint background (not the default but the one with circles on a grey background), I also have the gnome-backgrounds package installed.

If you mean backgrounds for your folder, since you mentioned Nautilus, you can open a folder then select >Edit > Backgrounds and Emblems. It used to be that you could have a different background per folder, now it seems to have the same background for all folders (and I haven't tried to figure out if there's some way to change that or not...). HTH.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

In LMDE, to add new desktop backgrounds, just add the image you want for the desktop to your /home/yourusername/Pictures folder.

Open the Appearance window either via Menu=>Preferences=>Appearance or by right clicking anywhere on the desktop.

In the window, select the "Backgrounds" tab and click "Add". This will open your Pictures folder automatically.

Click on the picture you want and click "ADD"at the bottom of the page. The new picture will be added to the list in Appearance=>Backgrounds and will immediately be set as your desktop background.
jrios

Post by jrios »

Hello again, thanks for your responses, but in Ubuntu is this software and I can change more easy (only in the file rigth clic and choose set as my wallpaper (see this jpg http://ubuntulife.files.wordpress.com/2 ... lpaper.png)

Do you know if it is possible add this software in the repository?

Regards, Julio.
Aging Technogeek

The "Set as Wallpaper" function is included in Nautilus, the gnome file manager.

Find a Picture you want as wallpaper, save it where ever you want (I use my Pictures folder), right click on the picture and look near the bottom of the menu. "Set as Wallpaper" is there and it works.
jrios

Post by jrios »

Code: Select all

The "Set as Wallpaper" function is included in Nautilus, the gnome file manager. 

Find a Picture you want as wallpaper, save it where ever you want (I use my Pictures folder), right click on the picture and look near the bottom of the menu. "Set as Wallpaper" is there and it works.
I think that I need nautilus-wallpaper software to can do it.
I upload a file to show my machine and there is not this option.

Regadrs, Julio..
Aging Technogeek

My humble apologies. sir. I had forgotten that you are using LMDE and was advising you on the basis of the version of Nautilus that is installed in the Mint 10 Main edition. They are different in that, for one thing, the LMDE version does not include the "Set as Wallpaper" option.

I did some more checking and find that the Set As Wallpaper function is enabled in Mint 10 because Nautilus-wallpaper is installed by default. I do not, at this time have an LMDE installation and cannot check if the function is in the LMDE repositories. I am not sure whether this app is compatible with the Debian base of LMDE since it is written for Ubuntu and many Ubuntu apps are not back compatible to Debian.

If you want to try it and it is not in the repos, you can get the .deb package here

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/p ... 4_i386.deb
jrios

Post by jrios »

Thank you for the help.

I download the file and it is ok (I need to execute killall naultilus from the console to works)

Regards, Julio
Aging Technogeek

Glad you got it working. Please edit your original post and add "Solved" to the title.
mudpie

Re: nautilus-wallpaper (Solved)

Post by mudpie »

Thank you for this!

I was looking for this functionality from Nautilus as well. I used the 64bit version.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus-wallpaper

Also, for anyone unsure of what to do with a .deb file, you right click on it and "Open with GDebi Package Installer". (I unzipped it first time and said "huh?")

Works perfectly!

-Laura

edit: fixed my link

Return to “LMDE Archive”