If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Theologian

Re: If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Post by Theologian »

I'd almost certainly use CrunchBang#!Debian as a ready-made distro, or another OpenBox-faced one.
I'm currently running a modified #!"9.04.1", because of low RAM.
Maybe I'll see if muLinux can be brought up to date & made more secure.
I'd maybe borrow one of Azathoth's when he wasn't looking!
Inevitably, I'll either roll-my-own on a minimal base, or hack an existing one that's compatible with my hardware.
Whichever, it'll look like a server with GUIs that only appear when invoked from terminal.
JayKay3000

Post by JayKay3000 »

I would probably go to Arch Linux. I've set it up a few times so now it's not quite so painful. It has a nice software repo and after about 10 mins the commands are all pretty easy to use.

It's also rolling release which I really like.

Second choice would then be Ubuntu, they are doing great things with the paid for software idea to encourage vendors that may lead to big brands coming on-board and creating linux versions for paid returns if enough people embrace the idea in the future.
Theologian

Post by Theologian »

I recently happened upon this Debian Stable-based distro: http://www.64studio.com/ : TOTAL multimedia heaven!
utsuwa

Post by utsuwa »

Theologian wrote:I recently happened upon this Debian Stable-based distro: http://www.64studio.com/ : TOTAL multimedia heaven!
#! is a good distro. I use stripped-down alpha2 with E17.
I have seen 64Studio, looks promising. Have you tried KXStudio? I find it quite good.
Theologian

Post by Theologian »

utsuwa wrote:#! is a good distro. I use stripped-down alpha2 with E17.
I have seen 64Studio, looks promising. Have you tried KXStudio? I find it quite good.
#! does rock somewhat! It took less time to install on my 237MiB RAM engine than LM9 FluxBox took to boot-up! And it's never used more than 200MiB RAM.
I've come to prefer the OpenBox above all other desktops I've tried, & I prefer the PCMan file management system, & with icon & colour schemes from Ubuntu Satanic Edition, I think it rocks even more!
SliTaz is another distro I'm starting to like: it seems to have a very dedicated development team.
It always impresses me how 'compleat' a very small distro can be, especially in comparison to some of the more bloated (IMO) distros. The SliTaz ISO is ~30MiB & there's a ~1GiB downloadable (ISO) repo: BTW, it is F-A-S-T!!!
64Studio has good documentation & being based on Debian Stable, I'd imagine it's pretty reliable.
The only thing that would put me off KXStudio would be KDE: I simply don't like KDE, but the repository is there, anyway.
I tried UbuntuStudio a while ago, but it wouldn't install: never mind, I have a 500+MiB local repository of goodies, should they ever be needed.
Meanwhile, I'm keeping all my eyes on both #!Debian & LMDE (which runs quite well in under 225MiB RAM). I imagine that #!Statler is like greased-lightning.
gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

debian proberly, after installing lmde i fell in love with a debian base. or simplyMEPIS because it works great... (BUT ITS KDE 0___0 )
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

OpenSUSE or Slackware.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

BTW I do not like steroids :x and don't think Linux is a DOS on steroids.
I'd rather say Linux is like an eastern Guru's teaching practising in the 'western' or 'modern' aka commercial :roll: life... :idea:
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Opinions vary. :)

Steroids are a naturally occurring compound.
My Signaure did NOT specify "anabolic steroids".

Try to remain on-topic...
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Habitual wrote:My Signaure did NOT specify "anabolic steroids"...
Aha, so ok then :lol:
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

It's all good.

Linux: DOS on Vitamins! :wink:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Hard to say, but it would definitely be Linux. Fortunately there is little danger of Linux Mint going away. If Clem were to retire (sorry Clem, you're stuck with us for life) someone would pick up the torch and keep Mint going.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

tdockery97 wrote:Hard to say, but it would definitely be Linux. Fortunately there is little danger of Linux Mint going away. If Clem were to retire (sorry Clem, you're stuck with us for life) someone would pick up the torch and keep Mint going.

+1 :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Vector SOHO.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Theologian wrote:
SWEET SHOP* IN PARADISE!!!

USB keys are getting more affordable every day: think of the possibilities!

(*Candy store.)
Here ya go ! :D
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install-sl ... m-windows/
Theologian

Post by Theologian »

I particularly like the bit about needing a USB key that's 32MiB or larger!
SliTaz, on installation to HDD, expands from ~30MiB to about 120MiB - bloated or what!? :mrgreen:
Some *nix ISOs are >4GiB before install!!! :shock:
Even OpenOffice is a ~250MiB downloadl!!! :?
Bloated code methinks :roll:
ivan_rookie

Post by ivan_rookie »

If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?
NOOOOOOoooooooo.........!!!!
I just migrated to LinuxMint few days ago, I don't want it to disappear!! 0__o
Theologian

Post by Theologian »

tdockery97 wrote:Hard to say, but it would definitely be Linux. Fortunately there is little danger of Linux Mint going away. If Clem were to retire (sorry Clem, you're stuck with us for life) someone would pick up the torch and keep Mint going.
Precisely: that really could be a closure to this topic.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Yes, maybe, but the new person may not follow the Clem way or at least not follow a way you like... You know, one knows what one leaves but one doesn't know what one is going to have... :wink:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Theologian

Post by Theologian »

linuxviolin wrote:
Yes, maybe, but the new person may not follow the Clem way or at least not follow a way you like... You know, one knows what one leaves but one doesn't know what one is going to have... :wink:
Absolutely true, but can anyone in the 'Linux Movement' really be expected to follow another's lead? They may do so for a while, until they get used to the system; but you can be sure that the flavour would be as different as one would expect from different chefs cooking the 'same' dish: this is evinced by the number of 'minority' distros, some of which seem to be 'one person jobs'.

Personally speaking, within 30mins of a fresh install, I will probably have removed at least 100MiB of apps that I don't want; THEN I will do the system update; THEN I will install apps that I do want. Within 1 month of installation, I will effectively have a different distro, apart from the core & the desktop, unless I change them too, in which case I should probably think about

Return to “Chat about Linux”