Abiword for Android?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viking777

Abiword for Android?

Post by viking777 »

Does anyone know of any Android application/applications that can read abiword documents and gnumeric spreadsheets?

I've searched all over, and I can't find one.

I find it very odd that being a linux based OS, Android office apps only seem to support Microsoft file formats.

I know I could convert my abiword and gnumeric docs to a MS 'approved' format but then they wouldn't work on my computer which only has abiword and gnumeric installed for office tasks and anyway I don't want to use MS file 'approved' formats in the first place.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMT

Re: Abiword for Android?

Post by SMT »

Hi viking,

How about importing the abiword and gnumeric files to Google Docs and opening them on android that way?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

SMT wrote:Hi viking,

How about importing the abiword and gnumeric files to Google Docs and opening them on android that way?
Two reasons really. The first is that Google Docs doesn't support those formats either (it will try and open them but it does so using the programs installed on your computer, it has no built in support for those formats - I have already tried this). Secondly Chrome (the browser on my phone) suffers from this error:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/G ... 7a1e&hl=en

None of the suggested solutions work for me except to access Docs from Firefox. Ironic that the only browsers that work with google docs are the ones not made by google :?

Thanks for trying anyways.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Still haven't found an answer, but my continued searching led me to find that abiword and gnumeric have been ported to Maemo, so maybe I bought the wrong phone? (I don't think so it, it will just be a question of waiting for things to happen). Anyway if you do use those programs and want them on a mobile platform right now then Maemo is the OS to go for.

I am well aware that being a Linux user puts me in a minority, not being a Ubuntu/Suse/Fedora user puts me in an even smaller minority, and being a user that uninstalls Open Office and installs Abiword, Gnumeric and Fluxbox as soon as I get a new distro puts me in one of the smallest minorities on the planet! Most of my fellows probably live in asylums :lol: :lol:

So I guess I shouldn't be surprised that my 'quirks' aren't catered for in the mobile world.

Return to “Chat about Linux”