install wicd instead of Network Manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pottzie

install wicd instead of Network Manager

Post by pottzie »

I'm using ndiswrapper, and am having problems with ,well, consistency as far as what happens after rebooting. I can get the pci wireless working, but when I reboot, often it's "broke" (for instance can see my network but won't connect to the internet.)
I've read that wicd works better with ndiswrapper, and I like wicd anyway, so how involved is it to install wicd, and does that mean that network manager needs to be uninstalled also?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: install wicd instead of Network Manager

Post by tdockery97 »

Depends on what version of Mint you're using. When I was running Mint 9 if I installed WICD it would automatically uninstall Gnome Network Manager.

Haven't tried it in Mint 10 (no need to), but I am also using LMDE and I definitely wanted WICD with that so I can install my updates outside of X. WICD works outside of X, Network Manager doesn't. But if you install WICD in LMDE it doesn't uninstall Network Manager. If you try to manually uninstall Network Manager it wants to uninstall mint-meta-debian, which would completely hose LMDE. So when I boot LMDE I just disconnect WICD and use Network Manager when I'm using the Mint Gnome desktop.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
gn2

Re: install wicd instead of Network Manager

Post by gn2 »

tdockery97 wrote:~ it wants to uninstall mint-meta-debian, which would completely hose LMDE. ~
Are you sure?
Normally meta packages can be uninstalled without problem.
Just checked my VBox LMDE guest and it seems removing mint-meta-debian just removes the meta package leaving the contents behind and all is well afterwards.

As for installing Wicd, it's a doddle, just use Synaptic or sudo apt-get wicd

Return to “Beginner Questions”