Bootsplash, icons & panel got changed

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
sunwatt

Bootsplash, icons & panel got changed

Post by sunwatt »

My bootsplash changed from the blue debian to gray LM10. And my panel changed as well, from debian to LM.

Many icons have changed as well.

(This all somehow happened with the dec 2/3 update when the mintdesktop issue happened. We got that mintdesktop3.2.2 update fixed. Thank you.)

Im not too fond of the LM 10 bootsplash really.

I think I like the old panel better, think it was dark, not this steel gray. It had the debian swirl, now it says LM.

I think I liked the old style icons better too.

Is there one thing I can change to change back to the blue bootsplash, old icons, and debian panel?

Also I might like to add a custom bootsplash image someday, is there a easy to follow howto guide here?

Thanks!

Jim
GreatgrandPa
mini 9 32gb ssd
lmde
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Bootsplash, icons & panel got changed

Post by dawgdoc »

I do not think you will be able to revert with one click. It was the installation of more than one package which caused all of your changes.

Bootsplash: The simplest solution may be to go to /boot/grub and change the names of the files. I think the blue splash screen you prefer is moreblue-orbit-grub.png and the one lmde is now using is in the directory as linuxmint.png. Change linuxmint.png to something else and change moreblue-orbit-grub.png to linuxmint.png. (You may have to do this as root.)

Icons: Go to > Menu > Preferences > Appearance ans select Theme then select Customize and choose the Icon tab. Pick the Icon set which most appeals to you.

Panel: Right click on the panel, select Properties and choose the Background tab. You can select a color or elect to go with the system theme. If you go with the system theme, you can change the settings in the same manner you changed the icons, just a different tab.

Hope that helps a bit.
sunwatt

Post by sunwatt »

Thanks for the reply.

I got the icons back to Debian, thanks!!

I found boot/grub

How do I login as root so I can change the image?

I am the only user of this computer.

Jim
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

I found boot/grub
How do I login as root so I can change the image?
1. on terminal, type su - <enter>, then enter password.

Code: Select all

wayne@inspiron580s-desktop ~ $ su -
Password: 
you should see that the $ prompt is now change to # prompt as shown

inspiron580s-desktop ~ # 
2. you need to use two commands ,
one is to copy , cp file1 file2
another is to move, use to rename a file, mv file1 file2

Here is a demo on how do the change, slightly more steps since I add checking on each step for you to ensure you can follow, actually the step 7 is all you need !! but better to keep backup files:

3. back up : copy the existing two .png files and rename it with .old
To copy, first you are already at root, now you change to the directory /boot/grub

inspiron580s-desktop ~ # cd /boot/grub
inspiron580s-desktop grub # 
4. check that you have two png files by list command

inspiron580s-desktop grub # ls | grep .png
linuxmint.png
moreblue-orbit-grub.png
5. now do the proper copy plus rename so as these become .old and become your backup

inspiron580s-desktop grub # cp linuxmint.png linuxmint.png.old
inspiron580s-desktop grub # cp moreblue-orbit-grub.png  moreblue-orbit-grub.png.old
6. verify you have them by listing

linuxmint.png
linuxmint.png.old
moreblue-orbit-grub.png
moreblue-orbit-grub.png.old
7. now, rename the moreblue to linuxmint

inspiron580s-desktop grub # mv moreblue-orbit-grub.png linuxmint.png
8. verify by listing. note that the moreblue-orbit-grub.png file should disappear

linuxmint.png
linuxmint.png.old
moreblue-orbit-grub.png.old
9, now close terminal, reboot, to see the effect of splash changed from grey to Debian blue.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Thank you Wayne.

I was trying to get to a response but work keeps getting in the way. :)

I would have conveyed the same concept but your reply was more complete than mine would have been.
sunwatt

Post by sunwatt »

OK thanks!

That changed the 1st bootup screen to debian blue. Thats the bootsplash I guess.

The screen where I enter my password is still the gray LM10 background, as well as the screen at shut down, gray LM10 again.

I'd like to change them back to as they were.

Jim
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

I didn't follow all of the particulars, but apparently the mint system over-writes some files on startup so your minty experience stays intact. I had already changed my default desktop config by the time the update was done, and none of that changed for me. My gdm login was changed to the gray Mint10 one but I can live with it...

You might want to look at this thread: Changing the gdm3 login screen. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=60853

Return to “LMDE Archive”