Linux Mint 10 "Julia" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux Mint 10 "Julia" released!

Post by ajgreeny »

Yes, it is a fair question to ask.

And an authoritative answer would be very nice...[/quote]
But it has been answered many times if you search.
If you have updated with all the default settings that you get when you installed the rc version, you already have the full version on your machine.

The likelyhood of of a mass of updates being needed to take you from rc to full is very small, and there could even be no packages to update; the rc is after all a "release candidate" and could turn out to be the final release.[/quote]

If this question has been answered, "many times", how about providing a link? We're not the only ones asking this question, after all.

And yes, "there could even be no packages to update" is precisely the point - they would only be Level 1 and Level 2 updates, so I don't know what this point proves.[/quote]

Here you go then; an authoritative link:-
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1581
and I quote from there:-
Upgrade instructions:

* To upgrade from a previous version of Linux Mint follow these instructions.
* To upgrade from Linux Mint 10 RC, simply apply any level 1 and 2 updates (if any) available in the Update Manager.
wiseless

Post by wiseless »

Hello guys!

I was a Ubuntu user until I heard about Mint and installed it yesterday for a try run.

I have to say it's a GREAT distro! Canonical should take some lessons from you guys regarding better use and planning of the interface.

It's clean, gorgeous, with a great software collection, the updater and package manager are terrific and the search in Menu is a blessing!!!

For me, Mint is my default desktop/laptop distro from now on. I'll spread the word as much as I can!

Thank you very much for your effort and keep the good work.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

ajgreeny wrote:
Here you go then; an authoritative link:-
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1581
and I quote from there:-
Upgrade instructions:

* To upgrade from a previous version of Linux Mint follow these instructions.
* To upgrade from Linux Mint 10 RC, simply apply any level 1 and 2 updates (if any) available in the Update Manager.
... Did you actually read that link? Everyone here is asking WHEN these updates are coming in; not HOW to do it. We already know that part.

Myself and others have not seen any Level 1 or Level 2 updates since the stable release of Mint 10 was announced. That's what we're here asking about.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Oh, well yea anything aesthetic can be identical. But other software is sourced from Debian so until it is ported to Debian from Ubuntu you won't be able to use it without risking problems.
danger89

Post by danger89 »

Most of the time people come to a forum to nag, but I would like to give you a compliment about the nice & clear interface and especially the new icons! I love them.

But ofsource it wouldn't be me if I haven't constructive criticism xD
So some icons in the main menu should have a color (because is too much gray, I know it's the default interface), because colors make it easy to separate different kind of functions for example Network, Computer, Shutdown, Sign out and Lock Monitor.
And a second point should be still be the borders of the windows, where you can resize your windows. I must admit, this is probably a problem of Ubuntu, not Mint, but if Mint had fixed this bug it could be a super hit :D

But still thanks Mint! The best Linux ever 8)

Kind regards,
Melroy van den Berg
kidflash

Post by kidflash »

what is in the DVD version of mint 10 ?

i have installed the 32 cd version

:!:
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

@kidflash,

The DVD contains more apps and extras that wouldn't fit on the CD.
You can get them with the "Software Manager" from the menu.
GJQ

Post by GJQ »

Hi,
I have download mint 10 and install on a Pentium 4 system.After all has finish,I am unable to set the screen resolution higher than 800x600,refresh rate and rotation are all unable to set. I have google for a lot of information but cannot found a workable solution to solve the problem. Would appreciate if someone can provide a step by step solution. Below are some information on what I have tried.

-Install ubuntu 10.10 on the system since Mint is base on ubuntu. Screen resolution problem also happen
-Install Mint 9 previously and things are all working well.

Please provide all assist or I will have to downgrade to Mint 9 stay with it till the screen resolution is solve.

Big thank you.
Desperate newbie :( :cry:
Edgpaez

Post by Edgpaez »

@GJQ
Installing Video Drivers should be enough, LinuxMint 10 has an easy way to to this, check "Additional Drivers" in Menu.
in case that doesn't help, running:

Code: Select all

lspci
in a terminal should give you an idea of the HW you're using and google will tell you what to do :)

Be patient, and welcome to Linux :)
GJQ

Post by GJQ »

@Edgpaez
My system is using built in graphic on Intel D845GBV board. No additional driver needed as check.My patience on Mint 10 is at the lowest point now with the problem I am facing with Mint 10 on the OEM PC.I install Mint 10 on the Dell Vostro 200 and it work well out of the box.Below is my system information.

oem@oem-desktop ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 01)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 81)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
01:01.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
oem@oem-desktop ~ $

I have gone to a lot of forum and post the problem but all solution advise are not working.

Thank you :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Congratz Clem. Linux Mag just reported that Mint 10 is a 10 !
Static

Post by Static »

GJQ wrote:Hi,
I have download mint 10 and install on a Pentium 4 system.After all has finish,I am unable to set the screen resolution higher than 800x600,refresh rate and rotation are all unable to set. I have google for a lot of information but cannot found a workable solution to solve the problem. Would appreciate if someone can provide a step by step solution. Below are some information on what I have tried.

-Install ubuntu 10.10 on the system since Mint is base on ubuntu. Screen resolution problem also happen
-Install Mint 9 previously and things are all working well.

Please provide all assist or I will have to downgrade to Mint 9 stay with it till the screen resolution is solve.

Big thank you.
Desperate newbie :( :cry:
Hey, GJQ, take a look at this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&p=353722
I had pretty much the same problem with the same integrated graphics card, so you should try it out.
frsu

Post by frsu »

Works like a charm on my old Packard Bell Easynote laptop. Tried several earlier versions, only Mint 5 was working.

Several Ubuntu and PCLos distro's did not work, but Julia is ok!

I am very happy with it. :D
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

So, this is the one based on Ubuntu? But, it's in the LMDE? Where would one download the DE? I find this forum or at least this section very unorganized and confusing. :-(.

I thought of trying it but if I can't even find it.... anyway, carry on. Just lurking but going back to Debian. :wink:
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

telenux wrote:So, this is the one based on Ubuntu? But, it's in the LMDE?
It's an announcement so it will show up just about everywhere.
oi_antz

Post by oi_antz »

Julia... wow! Thanks a bunch, as always it's the only OS I truly feel comfortable using, never have a gripe to moan about! It's just so easy to do everything and so easy on the eyes. Fantastic work yet again!
sahilshinesalways

Post by sahilshinesalways »

fantastic distro...i wonder if mintmenu gets killed in mint 11 as gnome 3 the predetor arives
m4daredsun

Post by m4daredsun »

oi_antz wrote:Julia... wow! Thanks a bunch, as always it's the only OS I truly feel comfortable using, never have a gripe to moan about! It's just so easy to do everything and so easy on the eyes. Fantastic work yet again!
+1

Julia rules :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

Murdock wrote:Congratz Clem. Linux Mag just reported that Mint 10 is a 10 !
Nobody reads or buys Linux Mag anyway.
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

danger89 wrote:And a second point should be still be the borders of the windows, where you can resize your windows. I must admit, this is probably a problem of Ubuntu, not Mint, but if Mint had fixed this bug it could be a super hit :D
This is a perennial issue. Some people like thick borders because they are easier to grab; others hate them because they look "ugly". If you go to the Appearance pref, and choose "Customize", then click on the Window Border tab, and click on the various choices, you will see that some are thicker than others. If this meets your need, fine; if not, you may need to dive deeper, and modify the metacity-theme-1.xml that is associated with a given theme. Generally (but not always) these are in the /usr/share/themes/ directory:

libssd@aa1-LMDE /usr/share/themes $ ls
AgingGorilla     Emacs         Murrine
Atlanta          Esco          PepperMint
Aurora           Felicia       Raleigh
Aurora-Midnight  Gilouche      Redmond
AuroraMint       Industrial    Shiki-Colors-Easy-Metacity
Bright           Lightning     Shiki-Colors-Metacity
Carbon           Metabox       Shiki-Colors-Striped-Metacity
Cassandra        Mint-X        Shiki-Wise
Clearlooks       Mint-X-Metal  Simple
Crux             Mist          ThinIce
Default          Murrina-Blue  WildMint
For example, for the "Murrine" window borders, you need to be in /usr/share/themes/Murrine/metacity-1, where you will find the metacity-theme-1.xml file. Before editing this file, it's prudent to make a backup copy -- it's very easy to get lost on changes, and a backup will let you revert to the original version. This file belongs to root, so you need to use sudo to edit it: sudo gedit metacity-theme-1.xml

The section you need to edit will look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<metacity_theme>
	<info>
	  <name>Murrine</name>
	  <author>Billy Cantrell: bvc@gnomethemes.org</author>
	  <copyright>GPL</copyright>
	  <date>July 2006</date>
	  <description>The Murrine Gtk Engine Metacity Theme</description>
	</info>

<frame_geometry name="normal" title_scale="medium">
	  <distance name="left_width" value="5"/>
	  <distance name="right_width" value="5"/>
	  <distance name="bottom_height" value="5"/>
	  <distance name="left_titlebar_edge" value="0"/>
	  <distance name="right_titlebar_edge" value="5"/>
	  <distance name="title_vertical_pad" value="5"/>
	  <border name="title_border" left="2" right="5" top="1" bottom="0"/>
	  <border name="button_border" left="2" right="0" top="0" bottom="0"/>
  	  <aspect_ratio name="button" value="1"/>
	</frame_geometry>
The values you need to change are in the the <distance name> lines; originally these were "3"; I increased the values to "5". To see your changes, save, and then restart x-windows: ctrl-alt-backspace

Yes, there should be an easier way, but for now, this is my understanding of how it works.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”