openbox and apps

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

openbox and apps

Post by Boo »

grats on taking up the challenge.

so is openbox really that much smaller than metacity that it will half the distro size?
or are you planning to remove other stuff?

are you planning to just leave firefox, email and video/sound stuff to make the distro so small?

Cheers
Boo

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: openbox and apps

Post by scorp123 »

Boo wrote:so is openbox really that much smaller
The *Box environments (fluxbox, blackbox, openbox ...) are *extremely* small, just in the range of a few 100 Kilobytes!. They just rely on the standard X11 libs and functions and thus don't need any extra libs or toolkits such as KDE and GNOME do. They're perfect for environments where lack of space or slow CPU's are an issue.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

BlahBlah_X wrote:(I'm shooting for 350mb so it fits on a miniCD).
Nice :D
maty1206
Level 5
Level 5

Post by maty1206 »

BlahBlah_X wrote:Yeah I'm probably going to have to remove some stuff if I want to keep under 350mb.
Dear friend:

I wanna know if you are doing just a mini edition or also, an edition for very slow pc?

It is because Spanish community is working in Mint Fluxbox edition, but I'm not sure if we are doing the same work?

Cheers
Linux Mint apps translator

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”