Package Manager [ SOLVED ]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Dar-es-Salaam

Re: Package Manager

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi sgosnell

everything there seems to be correct. the code is just as you say it should be.
oOarthurOo

Post by oOarthurOo »

Try switching to a different theme, something basic, like clearlooks. Then try again. My only guess at this point is you've installed a theme to /home/username/.themes, that is not available to the root account when you run synaptic with su. Changing the menu item to "sudo synaptic" would also be worth trying.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi oOarthurOo

I tried changing the command line to "sudo synaptic" without any success, also I can't find anything that comes up with /home/username/.themes even if I use terminal. Sorry. I tried changing to a different theme several times but it made nothing seemed to happen. :D
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Ummmm... you did change 'username' to your own user name, didn't you? Files with a '.' as the first character of the filename are hidden, and you have to use "ls -a" to see them. In Nautilus, press Ctrl-H to show hidden files.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi sgosnell

Yes I did use my own username and thanks I have just found out a bit more about Linux. just gone into terminal found .themes and there are no files in it at all other than . .. as far as I can tell
oOarthurOo

Post by oOarthurOo »

It's a very strange problem. This is a desperate attempt, though not quite so desperate as reinstalling, but have you tried creating a new user, and then seeing if it works from that account? I've seen cases where something in the gconf-settings gets corrupted and tracking it down has been difficult. If it works for your new user, then it's a problem with your user config, otherwise it's a problem with your system. This would at least help narrow it down some.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi oOarthurOo

I will try that but I am afraid it will be quite some time before I can get to it as my wife had an advent calender sent to her that will only work in dratted windows so I am stuck with that on at the moment but I will try asap :D :D
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi oOarthurOo

While the wife away etc.
I tried what you suggested with no difference so I have just run it in terminal which worked ok but came up with the following error/warning messages

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Read Markings...'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Save Markings'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id 'Save Markings _As...'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Quit'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Undo'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Redo'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Search...'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Reload Package Information'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Add CD-ROM...'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Mark All Upgrades...'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id 'A_pply Marked Changes'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id 'U_nmark'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id 'Mark for _Installation'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id 'Mark for R_einstallation'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id 'Mark for _Upgrade'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id 'Mark for _Removal'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id 'Mark for Co_mplete Removal'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Properties'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Filters'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Contents'

(synaptic:2434): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_About'

(synaptic:2434): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tool_item_set_tooltip: assertion `GTK_IS_TOOL_ITEM (tool_item)' failed

I don't know if that helps you or not but it's all I've got.

I've just seen that someone else has the same problem, "synaptic is not working by declanmartin Friday 17th" so I am not the only one thank goodness :D :D
oOarthurOo

Post by oOarthurOo »

Yes, it is good someone else is having the same problem. The fact that it didn't work for your new user means its a system wide problem, and the fact that someone else is experiencing it too suggests a bug. You should link these threads and follow whatever bug reporting procedures are in place with your devs.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Those are all glade warnings, so perhaps there is a problem with glade on your system.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi oOarthurOo, sgosnell

I have no idea how you link them together or follow the bug reporting that you are on about.

what is glade and can aptitude correct it ? :) :)
mads

Post by mads »

Dar-es-Salaam, right after installation, did you install updates? Did you reboot after that?
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi mads

Yes i did install the updates straight after installation but I can't remember if I rebooted straight away or not. I have even run aptitude "update && update full-upgrade", that did not alter anything either. Do you have to reboot first on the initial installation and update before you do anything else ?
mads

Post by mads »

Dar-es-Salaam wrote:Do you have to reboot first on the initial installation and update before you do anything else ?
Yes, a reboot is necessary after the initial update, and I am almost sure this is the cause of your issue.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

hi one and all.

well it is as last solved. mads was quite right. obviously I hadn't rebooted after I had done the initial upgrade. I don't recall ever doing it before but i must have done it without thinking. mads, perhaps it would be an idea to mention that somewhere on the install info so that numnuts like me don't go and get it wrong. I will of course not do that again.

Thanks to one and all for their help solving this problem :D :D

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a very Happy and Successful New Year. :D :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”