gnome is borked

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ChromeMukuro

gnome is borked

Post by ChromeMukuro »

i tried updating my computer. the update locked up so i had to hard shut down my computer. when i tried to boot up again gdm3 is whacked, not looking right, and when i log in my background doesnt appear, theres no title bars on auto-start up programs, and i cannot start up anything. seems like gnome is half-way there. how to i repair it?

thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: gnome is borked

Post by linuxviolin »

ChromeMukuro wrote:i tried updating my computer. the update locked up so i had to hard shut down my computer. when i tried to boot up again gdm3 is whacked, not looking right, and when i log in my background doesnt appear, theres no title bars on auto-start up programs, and i cannot start up anything. seems like gnome is half-way there. how to i repair it?
This is one of the joy of a rolling release... :roll: :twisted:

Sorry, OK, I go out. :mrgreen:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
CiaW

Re: gnome is borked

Post by CiaW »

Was it just the update that locked up? If so, you may want to just kill that process or application (or maybe log out of the desktop) rather than doing a hard-reboot, in future.

To fix it, you said you can't start up anything, so what you could try is to shell out to a terminal (ctrl-alt-f4) or any fn key from 1 to 6 I think and then log in at the prompt, and then type sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade. That will actually pull in even the level 4 and 5 updates.

If you've installed debdelta, you can use: sudo debdelta-upgrade after the apt-get update, instead. Then reboot, you can use 'sudo shutdown -r now' (no quotes) and hopefully you'll be back to a normal login window and desktop...
ChromeMukuro

Re: [SOLVED!]gnome is borked

Post by ChromeMukuro »

I checked the task manager but there was nothing there to kill. I will try what you suggested when I get home later. Thanks for the help!

UPDATE:

thanks for the help! popped into terminal, reconfigured dpkg, and rebooted, happy and safe back in Mint! the update involved a couple parts of GNOME, so when i killed it everything was screwed on reboot.

Return to “LMDE Archive”