Change to KDE system default DE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jmm

Change to KDE system default DE

Post by jmm »

I have been with LMDE a week now and I am thrilled with this. This rolling release distro has met my OS needs and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Great to be back with Mint again.

Congrats to Clem and his team.

Quick question...

Bigger fan of KDE than Gnome. Installed KDE-Full. System Default option still defaults to Gnome even though I chose KDM as default during setup.

Does anybody know how I can change system default to KDE?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: Change to KDE system default DE

Post by seeley »

Hi jmm!
What I don't understand:
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1527:
* Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is a rolling distribution based on Debian Testing.
* At the moment, it comes as a 32-bit live DVD with a Gnome desktop...
seeley
jmm

Post by jmm »

Yes....I know LMDE's release is just a Gnome release so far.

I added KDE-full and choose which DE I want at Login,

Right now it is defaulting to Gnome. I want it to default to KDE. I am not trying to delete KDE, I just don't want it to be my default desktop environment.

Thanks.
jmm

Post by jmm »

ERROR....don't want Gnome to be my default......Not trying to delete it but I don't want to default to it.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi jmm!
Because I had some troubles with LMDE I now have Julia and can't give a direct help; when there is a new kernel for LMDE I will try it again.
I would
bump
your next post.
seeley
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Checking the Debian forums gave this solution: Run the following in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
It should then give you the choice whether to run GDM or KDM. If your preference is to make KDE your default desktop, then if you select KDE in "sessions" at the KDM login-in screen it should give you the option to make it default.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

jmm wrote:ERROR....don't want Gnome to be my default......Not trying to delete it but I don't want to default to it.
I'm wanting to do the same thing, except remove most of the gnome libraries...have you run across how to do that? i.e. the single command such as 'gnome-desktop' or whatever? thanks
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Well, not knowing how far you want to go in removing items, it's hard to say. The only way to pick and choose is to use the Synaptic Package Manager, search for "gnome" and read through all the items and decide which you wish to remove.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

tdockery97 wrote:Well, not knowing how far you want to go in removing items, it's hard to say. The only way to pick and choose is to use the Synaptic Package Manager, search for "gnome" and read through all the items and decide which you wish to remove.
thanks...just basically the default gnome libraries and gdm.....I'm at the beginning of a fresh install, so if I can't do it in such a way that pleases me :), I'll stick to gnome....I have much experience with both, so..... :roll:
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro

Return to “LMDE Archive”