(SOLVED) Questions before Squeeze is released...

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
professorsnapper

(SOLVED) Questions before Squeeze is released...

Post by professorsnapper »

Hi folks,

Couple of simple-ish questions:
1) Given that LMDE is a rolling distro, can I assume I need not reinstall my system to benefit from the Squeeze codebase when it gets released?
and
2) Given comments on other posts advising on waiting about a month after Squeeze is released before moving to it, to allow for bugfixes, etc, I wonder if LMDE will hold off on upgrading until that time to minimise system breakages?

Thanks,
Snapper.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tec_wiz

Re: Questions before Squeeze is released...

Post by tec_wiz »

If you would like to switch to Squeeze and not follow on the rolling distribution then you will have to modify your sources to point to squeeze instead of testing. If however, you want to continue with LMDE as a rolling release, then just install the updates as they come. Once Squeeze is released then Sid updates will come into testing. You should see a large number of updates on that day. If you are unsure if the updates will break your system then don't install the new updates and wait for others on the forum to post their issues with the updates.

My understanding is that a few people on this board are already running the Sid repositories and are having no troubles with it, so you should be fine once the freeze is lifted for the Squeeze release. But the choice is yours.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

Just a clarification:
LMDE follows testing.
When Squeeze released as Stable, LMDE will follows the new testing (now sid) which will have the code name wheezy. So eventually squeeze will become past for us.
RHTopics
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RHTopics »

I have set my /etc/apt/sources.list as follows:

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free
When 'squeeze' is released to 'stable', will the upgrade packages from
'packages.linuxmint.com' remain compatible with 'squeeze' or at some point will an upgrade package have a dependency on a file that is only available in Debian 'testing"?
tec_wiz

Post by tec_wiz »

When 'squeeze' is released to 'stable', will the upgrade packages from
'packages.linuxmint.com' remain compatible with 'squeeze' or at some point will an upgrade package have a dependency on a file that is only available in Debian 'testing"?
Only time will tell. Eventually though I can bet that this will happen. Although we can't be certain when.
RHTopics
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RHTopics »

Only time will tell. Eventually though I can bet that this will happen. Although we can't be certain when.
I share your outlook. I will probably upgrade to "testing" when it does occur.
professorsnapper

Post by professorsnapper »

Thanks for your responses - I'll keep on the rolling distro, but will hold off on applying updates when Squeeze goes "prime time".

Snapper.
oOarthurOo

Post by oOarthurOo »

asymmetros wrote:Just a clarification:
LMDE follows testing.
When Squeeze released as Stable, LMDE will follows the new testing (now sid) which will have the code name wheezy. So eventually squeeze will become past for us.
Just a clarification of your clarification
Debian OldSable [Current codename is Etch, Next will be Lenny]
Debian Stable [Current codename is Lenny, Next will be Squeeze]
Debian Testing [Current codename is Squeeze, Next will be Wheezy]
Debisn Unstable

Code: Select all

When they release Squeeze, they just take a snapshot of testing and call it Stable/Squeeze. For a few days after that, testing and stable are identical. As packages being to flow in from Unstable into Testing, then testing and stable begin to diverge again.

Return to “LMDE Archive”