New LMDE ISO Image (201012) Up On Mirror

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
fspilot

New LMDE ISO Image (201012) Up On Mirror

Post by fspilot »

Hope I'm not stealing anyone's thunder, but I noticed that an updated LMDE .iso is now on the main heanet and the Canadian University of Waterloo servers. File name "linuxmint-debian-201012-gnome-dvd-i386.iso".

Don't know if this is a test iso or if this is the promised December LMDE iso.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

LMDE 201012 31 and 64 bit

Post by zerozero »

they should be the final isos, i presume.

and as promised we have 32 and 64 bit versions

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/debian/
Suo_Eno

Re: New LMDE ISO Image (201012) Up On Mirror

Post by Suo_Eno »

Is this for real? :shock: Man I'm wasting bandwidth here on Mandriva 2010.2 GNOME live cd dl.Just wanted to give that a whirl.Haven't tried anything that's Mandrake based. :oops: Gonna sort my dl list out once I get back from work.Probably best to scan the blog 1st for the official go ahead?
spsf64
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE 201012 31 and 64 bit

Post by spsf64 »

zerozero wrote:they should be the final isos, i presume.

and as promised we have 32 and 64 bit versions

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/debian/
I downloaded both versions, 32 and 64 bit
Created live USB, 64bit works fine, the 32bit won't boot at all, always end up with a black screen...
I tried to redownload the iso, nomodeset, etc.. No luck... any tips?
TIA
Sergio
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I've got the 32 bit version running in Virtualbox and have had no trouble so far. It installed easily, connected to the internet, took all available updates, and runs faster than PCLinux OS on the same VM.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

spsf64 wrote: Created live USB, 64bit works fine, the 32bit won't boot at all, always end up with a black screen...
TIA
you should open a new topic with more details asking for assistance
SpyderPride

Post by SpyderPride »

I personally probably won't install until we get an official release announcement. Until then... downloading for a head start ;). Will md5sum to make sure its the real deal after the announcement.

I am a recent Ubuntu 10.10 convert currently running the 32-bit release, looking forward to using this awesome OS in AMD64. I fall into the category of "would use Debian if everything was set up for me". I could probably configure a Debian system but I would constantly be second-guessing myself and changing everything, something I don't have time for right now.
spsf64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spsf64 »

Aging Technogeek wrote:I've got the 32 bit version running in Virtualbox and have had no trouble so far. It installed easily, connected to the internet, took all available updates, and runs faster than PCLinux OS on the same VM.
Yes, I forgot to mention, it works fine in VirtualBox here too
No luck with USB boot, my system has nvidia video card, it's strange that 64bit does work fine in the same machine??!!
Sergio
spsf64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spsf64 »

zerozero wrote:
spsf64 wrote: Created live USB, 64bit works fine, the 32bit won't boot at all, always end up with a black screen...
TIA
you should open a new topic with more details asking for assistance
Maybe after the official announcement.
However I believe a lot of other people with nvidia will have the same problem...
Let's wait and see
Sergio
Epipsychidion

Post by Epipsychidion »

May I ask how different the new installer is? Do we have the option of LVM encryption? Other than 64bit, that is my only other hope.
thermodynamics4

Post by thermodynamics4 »

Wooooooooooow!

Well Hope this works, still have my laptop waiting for the new release.
A little problem is from Debian, they are pulling out a lot of packages, for security reasons and old soft...

Anyone can comment on the new installer? Menus, upload photos? new look? wallpaper? Release number "2"? etc...

How about ideas, the team? I believe is ikey on front of this flavor...

I am very happy with mint!!
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I was wondering if the new iso has a revised installer that offers the option of a simple install like you can do with standard (ubuntu based) Mint...
In other words: 1) Replace your current system completely with the new Debian Mint install and 2) Install "side by side" with your current system....
without having to go into more advanced settings....

Please let me know...Thanks so much :)
groeder

Post by groeder »

Other than applying the latest visual updates, it doesn't seem to be any different than the previous version. The installer still requires you to manually set partitions. It is a very fast install though. Still the same slow update server.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

really? that's a bit surprising as Clem had specifically mentioned that the new iso would have a more "newbie friendly" type of installer...but from what you are saying, that doesn't seem to be the case at all...especially if it isn't offering to do a simple wipe of old system and install new one over it as well as optionally putting it side by side with your current install...this is what i thought he would be adding on.... :roll:
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Installed the x64 ver and looks really good....just need to add the nvidia driver and Im good to go.....
Will probably install the liquorix kernel as well
thermodynamics4

Post by thermodynamics4 »

A proper announcement it is needed, LMDE deserves better, for all the activity in the community, all the fans and well for the great effort from the TeaM! So someone in Mint gotta help with the proper announcement~~ :shock:

In the other hand I am downloading the 64bits ISO to check everything, and I agree with someone saying that this flavor need another colors/theme and number... Not the same as the main distro.

This one is different...

Peace...out! :mrgreen:
happ

Post by happ »

I have installed 64-bit version. Installer is the same Debian as it was in32-bit version. With one exception - it wouldn't allowed me to install grub on any other place except sda. So I manually install it on sdb where is LDME64 is installed. Package manager quick search window doesn't work, too. I have installed fglrx video drivers and compiz, but compiz refused to start: compiz (core) - Fatal: glXCreateContext failed. Tricks such as compiz --replace doesn't work. Software manager is almost useless, it is random freezing during installation so it must be stopped with killall mintinstall. That is my observation so far.
olligod

Post by olligod »

thermodynamics4 wrote:A proper announcement it is needed, LMDE deserves better, for all the activity in the community, all the fans and well for the great effort from the TeaM! So someone in Mint gotta help with the proper announcement~~ :shock:

In the other hand I am downloading the 64bits ISO to check everything, and I agree with someone saying that this flavor need another colors/theme and number... Not the same as the main distro.

This one is different...

Peace...out! :mrgreen:

There is a reason why the official announcement is delayed in relation to the actual availability: To spread out download requests - so that zealots just like you and me (who are keen) can download at a different time than the broader public.
There will be a peak in demand anyway - let the servers be able to handle it - and round down the peak a little.

Ever maintained a portal that is popular in a way - and clogged by a sudden,explosive rise in demand (in relation to server performance)?
Then you'd know what I mean.
zerozero

and the official announcement

Post by zerozero »

From the Blog
What a better time than Christmas to bring all the best from 2010 into an updated release of Linux Mint Debian.

* All Mint 10 features
* 64-bit support
* Performance boost (using cgroup, the notorious “4 lines of code better than 200″ in user-space)
* Installer improvements (multiple HDDs, grub install on partitions, swap allocation, btrfs support)
* Better fonts (Using Ubuntu’s libcairo, fontconfig and Ubuntu Font Family) and language support (ttf-wqy-microhei, ttf-sazanami-mincho, ttf-sazanami-gothic installed by default)
* Better connectivity and hardware support (pppoe, pppoeconf, gnome-ppp, pppconfig, libgl1-mesa-dri, libgl1-mesa-glx, libgl1-mesa-dev, mesa-utils installed by default)
* Better sound support (addressing conflicts between Pulse Audio and Flash)
* Updated software and packages
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1604

Return to “LMDE Archive”