Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby wilberfan on Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:44 pm

December is almost over! I don't see the new LMDE under my tree yet!
:(
wilberfan
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:21 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby willie42 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:46 pm

Patience.........things done in haste never work. The team is still testing and stuff and they will release when all is fine and working... :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
User avatar
willie42
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:52 pm
Location: Oak Ridge, TN USA

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby vrkalak on Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:47 pm

The new version of LMDE was released for download just yesterday.

In both 32 and 64 bit . . . as promised.

New LMDE, is available for download here >> http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/debian/
Image
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
User avatar
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3279
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby willie42 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:51 pm

:oops: sorry I missed it.......
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
User avatar
willie42
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:52 pm
Location: Oak Ridge, TN USA

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby gotjazz on Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:52 pm

yeah well I wouldn't be so sure thatr's the final iso. I for one will not install it anywhere else but in a vm as long as i don't see a release posit on the blog
Image
User avatar
gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby vrkalak on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:00 pm

gotjazz wrote:yeah well I wouldn't be so sure thatr's the final iso. I for one will not install it anywhere else but in a vm as long as i don't see a release posit on the blog


LMDE is based on Debian Squeeze. Currently, in the 'freeze' stage, soon to be released as 'stable'

Hence, the Debian part of LMDE is extremely stable at the moment, only the Mint repros, and Mint specific Apps, are kinda/sorta new.
Which make even the "for testing" version of Debian/Mint more stable than most any other distro.
Image
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
User avatar
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3279
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby randomizer on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:14 pm

vrkalak wrote:The new version of LMDE was released for download just yesterday.

In both 32 and 64 bit . . . as promised.

New LMDE, is available for download here >> http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/debian/

Interesting that the Mint Community page for ISOs hasn't had any indication of these at all.
User avatar
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 871
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby JCMan on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:19 pm

Question would be now has anyone downloaded and attempted to try it yet :twisted:
JCMan
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby rivenathos on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:23 pm

I am waiting for Santa Clem to crank up the torrents. ;-)
Debian 7 with GNOME 64-bit
User avatar
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 7:32 am
Location: USA

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby gotjazz on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:52 pm

vrkalak wrote:
gotjazz wrote:yeah well I wouldn't be so sure thatr's the final iso. I for one will not install it anywhere else but in a vm as long as i don't see a release posit on the blog


LMDE is based on Debian Squeeze. Currently, in the 'freeze' stage, soon to be released as 'stable'

Hence, the Debian part of LMDE is extremely stable at the moment, only the Mint repros, and Mint specific Apps, are kinda/sorta new.
Which make even the "for testing" version of Debian/Mint more stable than most any other distro.


sure and i know the system isn't anything but what I'm running anyway now, BUT: the installer is new.
And until Clem says that it's the final release, well - what I said earlier
Image
User avatar
gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby mzsade on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:05 pm

I have the most recent updates (Level 3) on my previous LMDE install and since there's no "update-manager -d" option here, would it be safe to say that i have the latest version?
Haven't visited my Isadora partition in a while, much as i love her i think i am ready to let go now.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:36 am

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby CiaW on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:10 pm

rivenathos wrote:I am waiting for Santa Clem to crank up the torrents. ;-)

+1
I'm actually very happy with the 32bit so I'm not in a hurry to swap up to 64bit, but once I see a torrent I'll start adding my little bit of bandwidth to the effort.
CiaW
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:39 am
Location: Spokane Wash, USA

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby tdockery97 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:15 pm

mzsade wrote:I have the most recent updates (Level 3) on my previous LMDE install and since there's no "update-manager -d" option here, would it be safe to say that i have the latest version?
Haven't visited my Isadora partition in a while, much as i love her i think i am ready to let go now.

If you've been doing level 1-3 updates, then you are up-to-date with the mint desktop and tools, and some of your apps, but not the Debian base.
Image

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
Registered Linux User #520972
User avatar
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 4869
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am
Location: Salem, Oregon

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby tdockery97 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:18 pm

I noticed only one mirror was listed above. Please be sure to pick a mirror close to you so that the heanet mirror does not get overloaded:
http://linuxmint.com/mirrors.php
Image

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
Registered Linux User #520972
User avatar
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 4869
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am
Location: Salem, Oregon

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby vrkalak on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:25 pm

tdockery97 wrote:
mzsade wrote:I have the most recent updates (Level 3) on my previous LMDE install and since there's no "update-manager -d" option here, would it be safe to say that i have the latest version?

If you've been doing level 1-3 updates, then you are up-to-date with the mint desktop and tools, and some of your apps, but not the Debian base.


Correct, if you have keep up with the Mints Level 3 updates -- the Mint repros and Apps are up-to-date but not the Debian Squeeze/testing core/sources.
Unless, you have updated via the Synaptic Manager or done an apt-get dist-upgrade in the terminal. These will upgrade Debian.

With Ubuntu a 'fresh install' is always recommended for a new version.
With Debian, it's always better (recommended) to update/upgrade to the next release.

If you have kept up with ALL the updates/upgrades for LMDE you already have the new Debian 6 Squeeze version.
Image
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
User avatar
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3279
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby cpatrick08 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:33 pm

gotjazz wrote:
vrkalak wrote:
gotjazz wrote:yeah well I wouldn't be so sure thatr's the final iso. I for one will not install it anywhere else but in a vm as long as i don't see a release posit on the blog


LMDE is based on Debian Squeeze. Currently, in the 'freeze' stage, soon to be released as 'stable'

Hence, the Debian part of LMDE is extremely stable at the moment, only the Mint repros, and Mint specific Apps, are kinda/sorta new.
Which make even the "for testing" version of Debian/Mint more stable than most any other distro.


sure and i know the system isn't anything but what I'm running anyway now, BUT: the installer is new.
And until Clem says that it's the final release, well - what I said earlier

the 64 bit one works good they should try to make it look different than mint main if you ask me
cpatrick08
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 2:17 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby mzsade on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:45 pm

Thanks guys, i did do a "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"..feels great to be on the cutting edge, merry Xmas. :D
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:36 am

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby craig10x on Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:21 am

but no new "newbie friendly" installer like Clem mentioned that this would have? I thought they would add the simple option of wiping out old system and completely installing over it and also the side by side with what is already installed (like on the standard mint installer)...someone mentioned it didn't have those options in another LMDE thread... :(
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:44 pm

Re: Is Santa bringing a new LMDE??

Postby mzsade on Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:08 am

craig10x wrote:but no new "newbie friendly" installer like Clem mentioned that this would have? I thought they... :(


If it got any more user friendly, it would be making you coffee while you waited for it to install. :lol: But seriously, if i remember correctly these options that you mentioned were there, i could be wrong..manual partitioning before installation really isn't all that complicated either.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:36 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Newbie Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests