New LMDE iso old/new fstab problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

New LMDE iso old/new fstab problem

Postby gotjazz on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:18 pm

hrm not sure if it's exactly as with the last iso - anyway I installed the 64 bit iso on a spare partition and lo and behold - again there are UUIDs in my fstab that don't have anything to do with my system.
The partitions I marked were appended as /dev/sdx0 etc at the end so it did boot alright but still - that shouldn't happen.

the most "offending" line was "UUID=385ecae6-bd34-41c3-a524-974b8cd6d17f / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1" and I've never used ext3 in my life :D
Wanna bet that UUID matches a partition on one of the devs' HDs? :mrgreen:

Oh and also my swap partition wasn't recognized - had to enter that one manually.

I realize for most people here all this is not much of a problem but it's a tripping wire for lots of newbies(that's not to say I'm not one of them - fstab is just one of the very few things I was able to pick up ;)). And they should have the options to loose the somewhat bloated ubuntu base too.
gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New LMDE iso old/new fstab problem

Postby robert-e on Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Your post reminded me...I had been having problems with fsck on boot on LMDE which was installed months ago. I too noticed that uuid error on every bootup, and got to wondering if that extraneous uuid was confusing fsck? So I commented out that line in fstab and replaced it with the correct uuid for the / partition, and while I was at it, I made a correct uuid for the swap partition. Since then fsck has not hung. Heh...before that, I had 126 mounts with no fsck...scary, hey what? Anyways...worked for me.

Regards,
Bob
robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Re: New LMDE iso old/new fstab problem

Postby mick55 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:46 pm

gotjazz wrote:Wanna bet that UUID matches a partition on one of the devs' HDs? :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)
mick55
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Newbie Questions