SSD and LMDE vs Mint 10

Old threads created long before the LMDE forum restructuring

SSD and LMDE vs Mint 10

Postby ruk on Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:55 pm

Hi All,
I just bought my first SSD (for my desktop) and I was waiting for the 64bit LMDE to migrate from Opensuse but I just found that the kernel used by LMDE is 2.6.32 compared with 2.6.35 in Mint 10 and I'm concerned that all the improvements done for ext4 and SSD including TRIM will be missing from LMDE until the next Debian stable release (maybe in 3-6 months).
And if I put my own kernel I might loose use the integration with the distribution and maybe the 'Performance boost (using cgroup, the notorious “4 lines of code better than 200″ in user-space)'

Also the LMDE better performance compared with Mint 10 is due to usage of the older kernel (and avoiding all the regressions added on the newer kernel versions) or due to something else?

As I want to make the most of my SSD investment should I migrate instead to Mint 10 or there is another option to have the SSD tunings into LMDE?

Thank you very much for your guidance,
Radu
ruk
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: SSD and LMDE vs Mint 10

Postby libssd on Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:27 pm

I've been running a SSD since May 2010, with no measurable degradation in performance. I don't think you have to worry much about TRIM support; if it's not there now, it will be available eventually.

Arguably more important, given what some say is a finite number of writes to SSD memory cells, is to tune the filesystem to minimize unnecessary writes.
Good article here: http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/netbook-optimization/
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Archive