First impressions

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
DrTeeth

First impressions

Post by DrTeeth »

LMDE 10 installed okay. It is just like my Linux Mint 10 install but with more rough edges. I deleted it as I just could no see any benefit in sorting it out when the regular Mint 10 is sooo good.

DrT
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: First impressions

Post by TBABill »

All I had to do differently was manually setup my Broadcom card following the posted method in the forum. Easy enough...worked like a charm. I can say it's snappier then LMDE 32 bit was for me, it's more polished with good font rendering, and it just looks beautiful. I'm impressed and will keep it this time.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

yeah...Clem apparently added in the appropriate ubuntu patches to give it the font rendering that ubuntu/kubuntu has...
i had taken a look at the live disc back in September and am actually running from the new iso disc now and it is like the difference between night and day...wow...now it really looks good as it should....

I am tempted to install...but i always have done the basic wipe out your old system and completely replace with the new system, which was easy in other distros including standard mint....did he add a simple way to do it like that to the installer?

If not, how would i duplicate the way that type of install would normally be done in say, ubuntu/kubuntu or mint???

Also, i noticed that 1) it's an old version of chromium...how come it doesn't have the more current version?
2) Any screensaver packages anyone can recommend to add from the software center? doesn't seem to be much on there
by default?
3) With this rolling system...how do you do all the needed updates using the GUI? (i am not into using the terminal)....
If you can do it simply with the mint updates, would you need to set it to level 5?
And has this run smoothly or do i have to be concerned about breakage?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

To get all the updates you do have to set Update Manager to levels 1-5 so that you get all the updates. Whether it will cause more breakages has been debated when the original LMDE came out. The main point seems to be whether or not to do updates while X is running. Some say it shouldn't cause problems, while others say always do your updates after dropping out of X.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

My first impression of the 64-bit version of LMDE is that it runs superior to my old 32-bit installation. While I have done no real testing, I have used LMDE long enough to know the feel of the system, and the 64-bit is definitely snappier. I've decided it's a keeper.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

thanks, tdockery97...pardon my newbieness but what does "while x is running" mean? and how do you avoid running in it?

also, i was wondering, since you installed the new 64 bit iso (which is what i am running in on the live cd right now checking it out) did you notice any changes to the installer that would allow a simple "wipe out your old system entirely and replace with this new one" type of option? The original installer only had manual partitioning, so i was wondering if that was added on....

it does seem rather snappy by the way, i notice the difference from when i tried the original iso...seems much smoother too (less rough around the edges) and of course the font rendering is a dramatic improvement...

Return to “LMDE Archive”