some1

Re: LMDE 201012 Fails Starting Live Session

Post by some1 »

defcon:
it doesn't work for me
justin

Post by justin »

Perhaps someone would like to try my fix? I'm telling you, it worked for me, and that was what got that guy up and running, much to my discredit. I'm strongly hoping that the majority of you who can't boot will be solved if you read what I posted.
zum Kaufhof

Post by zum Kaufhof »

All very fine for those able to cope with this sort of thing but surely an unusable Live Disk cannot be intended. Not many people are going to wade through this sort of thing to try out an experimental Operating System.

This is going to be a flop unless something is done to make the Live Disk easily usable.

Trevor
some1

Post by some1 »

justin:
I tried it. I was able to boot, but the installation stuck on the "Configuring bootloader" process. Any suggestions?
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
After interrupting the 10s countdown with "ESC", choosing "compatibility mode", editing "no modeset": same result.
seeley
brobdinag

Post by brobdinag »

Justin
RE: your response:
Your keyboard goes dead at the GRUB menu? That shouldn't happen. If you can press keys to stop the countdown, you should be able to tab and pass on the nomodeset option.

It shouldn't happen, but it does. Let me be clear.

If I do not press any key I get the Mint countdown screen which ends by going to:

Loading /casper/vmlinuz..........................................................................
Loading /casper/initrd.lz...........................................................................
Ready
(flashing cursor) Keyboard input is over at this point.

If I press tab immediately after the dvd starts to boot, I go straight to the Welcome screen, but keyboard and mouse are inoperable.

If I press tab, then "e" immediately after the dvd starts to boot, it will show the "e' at the bottom of the page following the --, where one would input the options. Like this "--e". But again keyboard and mouse can do no more.

So it seems as soon as the graphic environment starts there is no more keyboard mouse support. I doubt if after booting the dvd and hitting tab, I could get nomodeset in before the welcome screen pops up.

Thanks for working on this.
comsparks
Level 2
Level 2

Post by comsparks »

I can run the Live 201012 up to a point then it states:
03sc00i00 Unexpected exit with status 0x0009
It then halts and I have to manually power down the desktop. I've tried it in compatibility mode but same results. I'm running Debian 6 with no problems and wanted to try the New LMDE with no success.
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

comsparks wrote:I can run the Live 201012 up to a point then it states:
03sc00i00 Unexpected exit with status 0x0009
It then halts and I have to manually power down the desktop. I've tried it in compatibility mode but same results.
My system does the same thing. I downloaded both the 32 and 64bit versions so I could help seed the torrent and try the 64 bit version; as I already have the 32bit from Sept already installed and running fine. With the report of problems on the 32bit iso I decided to try it myself. I booted fine to the 64bit livecd (dvd), which i'm using now to type this.

I did try the suggestion of adding 'nouveau.modeset=0' on the boot parameters line but it still came up with the above error using the default and the compatibility boot options. The keyboard was unresponsive, so I couldn't shell out to a terminal to try and get some dmesg output, or use ctrl-alt-del or anything. Hard reboot needed.

I have an amd phenom 8650 triple core 2.3ghz, 4gb of ram (corsair) and nvidia geforce 6150se graphics, acer 19" lcd monitor.

Now I'm off to install the 64bit version on a partition that was waiting for CentOS 6. :mrgreen:
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWeiLL »

Same problem here, can't get to GUI with LMDE December on my Desktop. I just got a black screen with nothing displayed. Not even a blinking cursor.
With Compatibility Mode, i got a black screen with only a blinking cursor.
Also, I have noticed that booting from this dvd takes too much time compared to the first release of LMDE.

As for my laptop, no problem on booting. It reached the GUI but still, wifi doesn't work. No wifi device detected. Also, my touchpad is not fully working.
Mouse scroll works. The left and right button works. But, clicking from within the touchpad doesn't work.

I ditched LMDE first release before and replaced it with Mint 10. Been waiting for this new release and now it seems that this one has more problematic than the first release :(

This is with 32bit LMDE December. With NVIDIA FX5500 video card.
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website
XMint

Post by XMint »

I have the same Problem, 32bit, ati graphic card.
workaround: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 43#p358943
doesn't work.
kaddy

Post by kaddy »

I can confirm this Problem with debian edition. Didn't see this post before I posted mine... oops
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 25#p359525
jerry629231

Post by jerry629231 »

Alright I found a workaround.

When the bootloader startsup, you have to press tab when selected on the one that says Linux Mint Compatibility Mode. Then you insert "nomodeset" after where it says "xforcevesa" (should be somewhere on the first line) then hit enter.

Placing "nomodeset" at the end just caused a blinking cursor and a lot of beeping, so make sure you put it after "xforcevesa".

Hope this works!! :)
irek

Post by irek »

Hello, I am new on this forum and I'm not sure if my post can be solution to anyone's problem with blank screen. I have ATI video card (radeon 9600) and adding nomodeset after xforcevesa didn't work for me. Solution for me was adding "radeon.modeset=0" to the boot options.
jerry629231

Post by jerry629231 »

irek wrote:Hello, I am new on this forum and I'm not sure if my post can be solution to anyone's problem with blank screen. I have ATI video card (radeon 9600) and adding nomodeset after xforcevesa didn't work for me. Solution for me was adding "radeon.modeset=0" to the boot options.
Yes, I believe the "nomodeset" solution only works on nvidia cards. Glad you found another workaround! :D
irek

Post by irek »

some1 wrote:justin:
I tried it. I was able to boot, but the installation stuck on the "Configuring bootloader" process. Any suggestions?
Ehh, I had the same problem. When it will stuck on configuring bootloader quit the installation. Then you need to mount partition which you choosed in the installation process as a root partition, chroot to it and install bootloader. All process should look like that:
"sudo mkdir /media/lmde"
"sudo mount /dev/(partition which was choosed as a root in installation) /media/lmde"
"sudo mount -t proc none /media/lmde/proc"
"sudo mount -o bind /dev /media/lmde/dev"
"cd /media/lmde"
"sudo chroot /media/lmde"
"update-grub"
"grub-install /dev/sda"
If everything went good, after rebooting should appear grub and new system should load properly...
XMint

Post by XMint »

@irek
I also have a radeon 9600 (medion) video card. I think adding "radeon.modeset=0" is the right way. Booting does not stop with a blinking cursor. But my flatscreen showes wrong resolution, while I hear my DVD-drive still working.

Can anybody tell me how to change the screen resolution ?

Thx!
comsparks
Level 2
Level 2

Post by comsparks »

OTAY PANKY! I Used jerry 629231 workaround and it works for me. I have an Nvidia card. I haven't tried to install it yet until I get my Debian Squeeze backed up in case this goes south. Thanks jerry!
jerry629231

Post by jerry629231 »

XMint wrote:@irek
I also have a radeon 9600 (medion) video card. I think adding "radeon.modeset=0" is the right way. Booting does not stop with a blinking cursor. But my flatscreen showes wrong resolution, while I hear my DVD-drive still working.

Can anybody tell me how to change the screen resolution ?

Thx!
Go to the mint menu and click on the "monitors" application (should be on the bottom row of the favorites by default)
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

Not to pile on again, but I tried the newest work-around just for giggles, and added nomodeset after the xforcevesa on the compatibility option, and it seemed to get further in the boot process but then it ended with a black screen and blinking cursor in the upper left corner. I also tried the nouveau.modeset=0 in that spot instead of nomodeset, same result.
comsparks
Level 2
Level 2

Post by comsparks »

Well I got the Live disk to boot but hangs during install about 3/4 through file copy. I've formatted and attempted many times with same results.

Return to “LMDE Archive”