VGA Output

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cliste

VGA Output

Post by cliste »

Hey, I hope there's some Mint heads wandering around bored on Christmas day (Merry Christmas by the way)

Righteo, basically I'm trying to get my LMDE Laptop to output to VGA to a Tv screen (I tried with a projector before and had the same problem. Having tried Google I found the xrandr command, but when I run that:

ciarán@Ciaran-laptop ~ $ xrandr --output VGA --auto
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
warning: output VGA not found; ignoring

(For reference http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=40955 is the reason I ran that command)
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: VGA Output

Post by willie42 »

have you tried hooking it to the TV and rebooting your lappy?
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

also there is a FN key on a laptop and an F key that needs to be pressed I am thinking its F3 or F5 to send Video to the tv from the laptop. I remember it takes 5 min or 10 minutes for it to connect. It did in my Situation....
cliste

Post by cliste »

Hey thank for the quick reply. Rebooting did do stuff on the screen on the tv but not a lot. it showed on the screen when the bios was in charge ie whilst booting, and for the grub. Once it went to booting nothing showed at all. I tried Mint 9 as well, it showed on the screen while booting but no further.. Holding fn and and a button did nothing. Any more suggestiongs?

Really appreciate the help by the way :)
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Code: Select all

inxi -G
post the output
cliste

Post by cliste »

ciarán@Ciaran-laptop ~ $ inxi -G
Graphics: Card nVidia C67 [GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M] X.Org 1.7.7 Res: 1440x900@50.0hz
GLX Renderer GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW! GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.27
ciarán@Ciaran-laptop ~ $
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

http://dushan888.wordpress.com/2008/10/ ... inux-mint/

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=203672

take a look at these 2 forums they have something in there that may work if not come back and i will poke some more to see if I can help you
cliste

Post by cliste »

Hey, I'm a bit confused by those two links, they seem to be about installing the nvidia drivers, and as far as I can see I have them installed here, and working. I went tinkering around with files there anyway... probably doing more damage than good :-\

According to this the way to attach extra monitors is to use the nvidia server settings, however in 'X Server Display Configuration' it gives the very useful comment that
"Unable to load X Server Display Configuration page:

Failed to query NoScanout for screen 0."
This is a bug that is on launchpad as far as I can see.

Now is when things began going better, first I discovered the correct method to force the laptop to connect to the monitor (namely ctrl-alt-f4), which did have some effect - and I was happy to see both screens going dark, unfortunately it wasn't upto much, I tried this a few times rebooting X as it failed to do anything useful anytime..

So I began tinkering with the installed nvidia version (purging NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.32-5-486 and installing NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.32-5-686). This had absolutely no effect as far as I can see.

Then I deleted the xorg.conf file, when I rebooted my display was back to being 1024x768 - and it displayed on the tv no bother in this less beautiful state.

I'm not sure if you can give any more advise with that information? I have a notion of setting it all up nicely, and I would like to have the benefits of the nvidia drivers with the benefits of being able to use an external monitor. :mrgreen: Heck even a script to turn off nvidia, restart X and force the connection with the tv would be nice! :D
cliste

Post by cliste »

bumpidy bumpidy bump

Anyone have any further ideas?

tinteena

Post by tinteena »

VGA cord from laptop to projector. How do i get audio from the projector speakers? Hi there, i just bought a cord with a VGA attachment on both sides to connect from my laptop to my projector. I attached it and i am getting the video, but the audio only seems to come from my laptop. How do i get it to come out of the surround sound speakers attached to the projector?
Last edited by tinteena on Sun May 22, 2011 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
cliste

Post by cliste »

In my college there is a seperate lead for audio.

VGA can't carry sound*

*afaik

Return to “LMDE Archive”