Does the current Linux Mint DVD have the sound fixed . . .

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wwoof

Does the current Linux Mint DVD have the sound fixed . . .

Post by wwoof »

now? Or, do you still have to fumble around to get it working?

Also, I've been running LMDE for a while and my disk came without Opera. It was a fight to get it installed and I was wondering if that is included on the latest disk from Linux Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inktitan

Re: Does the current Linux Mint DVD have the sound fixed . .

Post by inktitan »

Opera is found in synaptic package manager so it should be easier to install. And your sound issue is bit vague. My sound works great so should I answer yes to yours? What was your original problem and what had you done to attempt a fix?
lizzibet

Post by lizzibet »

install gnome alsa mixer and turn up the volume on pcm and you'll have no problems with sound volume, if the volume is the issue... always is with me...

ubuntu-tweak works well lmde64 and includes many useful tools, including the repository for opera which is easily added....

are you familiar with ubuntu-tweak?
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

It is probably not a good idea to install Ubuntu-Tweak on Linux Mint Debian Edition. Adding Ubuntu PPAs may be hit-or-miss as far as success. A mixture of Ubuntu and Debian repositories is that "recipe for disaster" you have heard mentioned.

When using Linux Mint Debian Edition, it is best to do things the Debian way, not the Ubuntu way.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
lizzibet

The benfits of ubuntu tweak in lmde

Post by lizzibet »

The benfits of ubuntu tweak in lmde
by lizzibet on Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:08 am

Since I have one large seperate partition for all file storage and assign it as /home to every distro i install i created a permanent directory called Media in /home/Media. Ubuntu Tweak has a tool to set my default storage directories for pictures, docs, videos, etc from whatever the home directory is for the distro i installed to the matching one in ?home/Media. this is a great convenience. Even were i to not add repos through it, it's package manager lists the more common files i use without having to remember them our go searching in synaptic, they are just listed there, a short list of most people's favorites. also it has an automated cleaner for uneeded files, the file download cache, config files and old kernels. these tools are quite useful. Also it allows me to show advanced feature in the nautilus menu, fix the theme appearance while in root, allows me to change the default files to launch for different files readily, allows me to add shortcuts, manage templates, manage scripts, has abuilt in desktop recover/backup tool, allows me to make some adjustments to compiz, gnome and window manager setting. and more. It is a useful tool even if you never install another repo of any kind. The repos it will add by default are debian repos for swiftfox, opera beta and official, google stable source, deb thumbnailer, iphone ethernet driver for usb, play on linux, and skype. It also has a feature to install updates for your system

it's a great tool for so many reasons, don't be fooled by the name.
Last edited by lizzibet on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I am not knocking Ubuntu-Tweak as a tool at all. In fact, almost all of the Ubuntu installations I have done for people include the Ubuntu-Tweak PPA. It is fine for Ubuntu-based distros, but may have mixed results on a Debian-based distro. Cautious experimentation may well be advised.

On a side note: It is a great idea you have a large storage drive for your media files. I do the same. However, I use /data instead of /Media since there is already a /media. Husse used to suggest this same setup, and I always followed his advice.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
lizzibet

Post by lizzibet »

Thanks!

Return to “LMDE Archive”