LMDE 9 iso, upgrading to new packages. Will it break it?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Illuminati2012

LMDE 9 iso, upgrading to new packages. Will it break it?

Post by Illuminati2012 »

Here is the download link for the LMDE 9 (the previous version.) it's live DVD works. http://mint.ez.by/linuxmint.com/debian/ ... d-i386.iso

Question is, if I install it and then apply updates will it break it since so many people are having problems with the new release?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobcollard

Re: LMDE 9 iso, upgrading to new packages. Will it break it?

Post by bobcollard »

It would seem that most of the Problems are with the i386 version of 2010-12. I haven't read of anyone having problems running the original while upgrading through normal channels. As you can see from my signature, I am running the x86_64 version without problems. I have added the Xfce desktop as a matter of choice.
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Transitman »

Illuminati2012, I started using LMDE when it first came out, and since then I have just used the normal "updating when it is released" method. I have not experienced the problems others have with the LMDE .iso 2010112 release.
So, if you don't mind a lot of updates, install LMDE 201009 and have fun.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

First off, there is no LMDE-9 or 10 . . . there is simply LMDE.

LMDE is based on Debian and not on Ubuntu.

With Ubuntu the recommended way to upgrade to a newer version is to do a 'fresh install'.
With Debian the recommended way to upgrade to a newer version is to 'update'.

With the 'rolling release' of Debian, once you have it configured the way you want it ... you should 'never' have to do a fresh re-install.

So, NO ... an 'update/upgrade' within a Debian (or Debian-based) OS, should not break your system.
LMDE is based on Debian Squeeze/testing, and at the moment Squeeze is so close to being released as 'stable' that it is already solid stable.

If, however, you are using Mint-9 or Mint-10 (Ubuntu-based) ... proceed with caution.
As Ubuntu upgrades have been known to 'crash' from time to time

I have never had a Linux OS crash or break on me, that was not self-inflicted.

Return to “LMDE Archive”