How could this have been missed? (with a RC release)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gotjazz

How could this have been missed? (with a RC release)

Post by gotjazz »

Sorry guys - I'm not trying to troll or anything and I bet this has been brought up before but the new lmde isos are a reason to talk about the way mint is being developed and tested.

Now I'm not screaming for keeping everyone informed every step of the way. But if an Iso is released that quite a lot of people aren't even able to start the live-session off it does point to at least slight insufficiencies as far as testing goes. Now I know the dev team is pretty tight and well played in and I too believe a small team working toghether closely can often achieve more than thaunsands of people none of which really has an overview over the whole project.

But at least an open beta (or maybe not even that: an RC release would be enough) would really be great and would've caught this thing in the first day instead of releasing ans Iso that could potentially hurt LMDE's (and Mint's) reputation at least a little.

Now again: I have been an LMDE user since the first day it was released and I have NO intention whatsoever to changing to anything else and am very grateful for all the hard and good work that is being done here. But this was something I had to get off my chest
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gramps50

Re: How could this have been missed? (with a RC release)

Post by Gramps50 »

How could of what been missed?
mads

Post by mads »

Constructive criticism should always be welcome.

If this issue really exists then certainly it will hurt Mint's reputation (not a little but a lot).
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

Gramps50 wrote:How could of what been missed?
oh sorry - forgot to mention that :mrgreen: The 32-bit version of LMDE201012 gives a lot of people problems as far as even starting the live session goes....
mikeymouse
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikeymouse »

I love mint 10 and 9.04,is my main baby.
Sorry to say mint debian needed more testing before going gold or what ever you call it.
I am on dialup so the first version of lmde just would not go online .
Using my desktop pentium 930.
I downloaded the newest version 64 bit and it would not even load the live version.
When it started it said "casper/vm .. then casper/initrd and ready came up and then
nothing.
It just sat there and blinked.
I am looking forward to a version that will load the live dvd and install.
I have installed and used many versions and never had a problem...
LMDE loaded the live version just fine on my HP laptop..
I am using Nvidia on both machines.. but i am running a LG 24 inch monitor on my desktop..
don't know if that has any thing to do with it..
I thank you for all the hours and trouble you spend and i am not complaining just want you to know what i ran into.
Thanks all and Merry Christmas
mikeymouse
lizzibet

Post by lizzibet »

Most install errors are due to a bad download. use a bittorrent to download. it has hash checking to ensure a proper download. i have transmission running for 17 hrs non-stop and my share ratio .0.45 when it would normally be 2 or 3 at least for another distro by now. This tells me few people are using bittorrent. It saves so much hassle and wasted time over downloading files that can get corrupted in the download process and ruin any chance to install what you download then improperly blame the distro maker for shoddy work. That is just so wrong. I have this working great. on my system with compiz and cairo on nvidia withou ant mods. the only thing i did do is the same as i always do with pulseaudio, install gnome alsa mixer and turn up pcm full balst and the sound is great. same issue i always have with ever pulse audio distro... no biggie.... winff doesn't run but i have sinthgunt which does the same thing just as well...
myfreedom

Post by myfreedom »

lizzibet wrote:Most install errors are due to a bad download. use a bittorrent to download
I've burned downloaded ISO on DVD. I can't even boot in Live session. But the same DVD works great in Virtual Box. So ISO isn't corrupted. Big fail for Linux Mint team
mikeymouse
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikeymouse »

lizzibet wrote:Most install errors are due to a bad download. use a bittorrent to download
Mikeymouse here: I Had no problem running the live version on my laptop it was on my desktop that it would
not run..
In checking the replies seems like a number of people have the same problem..
thanks
mikeymouse :roll:
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Running LMDE w/XFCE Desktop, x86_64, no errors, no problems on a Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop. Have VGA external Monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 2233) Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, added Netgear WG111v3 USB WIFI.
IMHO, everything is perfect.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I downloaded the 64 bit dvd and had no trouble running it live, but as a newbie who doesn't know how to do fancy manual partitions and normally just selects "install system over entire disc and remove old system" i got totally frustrated and gave up and ended up installing the main edition Mint 10 instead... even though several people on here tried to help figure out for me how i could install it...Of course, even if i had figured it out with their help..who knows if the dvd would have installed even though it ran ok in the live mode...since others here mentioned problems with that...

Clem made some very nice improvements to font rendering...just about matches ubuntu's font rendering (might just need to be a tad sharper if possible) and it ran VERY smooth on the live cd for me, but i thought for Clem would add a newbie friendly installer with the simple options you find on the standard mint installer (can't he just port it over..why use that gparted installer which is great for techies but not for newbies)....

It's coming along but i think it has quite a ways to go before it had the polish of mint main edition which is absolutely FABULOUS...
Until it is like the main edition i plan now to stay with main edition...
Last edited by craig10x on Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jalcradus

Post by jalcradus »

gotjazz: Can you tell me exactly what problem you were having? Sounds like it may be something similar to one I had.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Let me linkify to clarify something here.
http://mylinuxramblings.wordpress.com/2010/11/
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Murdock wrote:Let me linkify to clarify something here.
Well done!
Nottyl

Post by Nottyl »

There's no need to patronize people here. Of course I know how to download, check and burn an iso. This one would not boot to live on a computer that boots without problems just about every obscure Linux iso ever uploaded to the internet. I should think the devs would want to know. That's why I posted in the other thread. I think Mint is a great project and Debian much, much greater. Therefore, there should be more care put into these things, that's all. As for workarounds, I think that misses the point, and entirely. People should not be booting to live using workarounds. They'll be/should be concerned about installing from such an iso, imho.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Notty! Everyone are not having problems with this. That is the point some of us are trying to make. Check your md5sum, use the disk checker when you open it live. Burn at speeds of 3x or less. All of these things matter and they are not workarounds.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

bobcollard wrote:
Murdock wrote:Let me linkify to clarify something here.
Well done!
As an almost complete newby to Mint (4 months). I decided to try my hand at LMDE. In the last few months I spend hours daily on this forum reading and learning (When I can get on! :roll: ). I downloaded the 64 bit version (Guess I was lucky there, with the problems I read about the 32 bit version). Also lucky with the install as I was replacing Ubuntu 10.10 on a dual boot with Mint 10. I agree with the above quoted link. The install was a bit confusing, considering the ease with the standard Mint 10 installer. Not too sure what I did, but I must have done it right, as both OS work fine. I just "pointed" the install to the Ubuntu partition and choose "/". It was "hit or miss". I just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. Install went OK from there, upgrade went ok, and everything seems to work OK. I thought it would promt me to upgrade to an avaible nVidia driver that I needed. I guess that is not an option. I searched and read on this forum about loading the nVidia driver manually, and I must say that sounds pretty intimidating to a newby. :shock: :shock: I am going to save that until I learn more.

AWN dock had some display problems, but now seems to work fine. After doing what I read --- that I should go to MENU>PREFERENCES>DESKTOP SETTING>WINDOWS> and check the "Use Gnome Composting" box. That seemed to let AWN Dock work ok, but darned if I know what "Gnome Composting" is. :lol:

I guess my point is that if LMDE is going to be the future of MINT. It needs to be a little more newby friendly. I like it, and like the idea, but am glad I have regular Mint 10 on this machine as dual boot. I will be watching and reading. When I learn more I will try the nVidia driver install. Right now LMDE seems to be an OS for gurus who like to fiddle. Hopefully it will me more "mainstream" with updates. If it wants to be a replacement for MS Windows it needs to be "civilized" at bit for the average user.

Thanks to all the developers.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

LMDE works great on ASUS UL50VT laptop (liveDvd) while in intel gpu mode, but fails to get to desktop login on my Nvidia based box Nvidia 8400 GS (low profile) and im only presented with the verbos / text login in :( :?
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

uhm just so this is clear - I do know how to check files and how to burn. This is NOT a burning issue and on VMs the iso worked.
Here is the thread to the problem: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=62437
and the bug-report on launchpad which - granted - I did post, but it was confirmed and classified as critical: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/694177
allypink

Post by allypink »

lizzibet wrote:Most install errors are due to a bad download. use a bittorrent to download. it has hash checking to ensure a proper download. i have transmission running for 17 hrs non-stop and my share ratio .0.45 when it would normally be 2 or 3 at least for another distro by now. This tells me few people are using bittorrent. It saves so much hassle and wasted time over downloading files that can get corrupted in the download process and ruin any chance to install what you download then improperly blame the distro maker for shoddy work. That is just so wrong. I have this working great. on my system with compiz and cairo on nvidia withou ant mods. the only thing i did do is the same as i always do with pulseaudio, install gnome alsa mixer and turn up pcm full balst and the sound is great. same issue i always have with ever pulse audio distro... no biggie.... winff doesn't run but i have sinthgunt which does the same thing just as well...
Fiddle sticks! Same disk loads on my laptop but heaps of grief on my desktop. Same disk no errors. Laptop sad-assed graphics; desktop late model Nvidia. There are lots of issues from many people. All we say is, it's not a good look. :o
allypink

Post by allypink »

bobcollard wrote:Notty! Everyone are not having problems with this. That is the point some of us are trying to make. Check your md5sum, use the disk checker when you open it live. Burn at speeds of 3x or less. All of these things matter and they are not workarounds.
The point pal is lots (LOTS) of folks are having trouble. Or don't you take the time to read them? Live disk......... fundamental...... should work on just about anything.,,,,, needs to. You may not be having problems,,,,,,,,, don't assume others are complete idiots. :wink:

Return to “LMDE Archive”