[SOLVED] Chrome Installation Problem

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Sleven

[SOLVED] Chrome Installation Problem

Post by Sleven »

Earlier today I had a problem installing Google Chrome in LM10, the issue was resolved by opening the download with the Gdebi Package Installer.
Now I am trying the same thing on LMDE by using Gdebi, and it says it is installed, but Chrome is not showing up in the MintMenu.

Any idea how to find it, or make it appear in the menu?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Chrome Installation Problem

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to LMDE subforum
Hi, in terminal try running sudo update-menus and/or a reboot.
Sleven

Post by Sleven »

I did try a reboot and that did not work, will try the other now, thanks
Sleven

Post by Sleven »

Nope, Chrome is still not showing up. It is not listed in the Package Manager either, there are some older versions are are not checked, but nothing about the new install. Any suggestions?
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

For what it's worth, there's this thread -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=55971

I'm out of ideas.
Sleven

Post by Sleven »

I read the article and tried to install Chrome with the first method. Everything kept saying it was already installed.

I found the Chrome icon in /usr/bin and was able to run Chrome by clicking on it there. According to the Package Manager it was also suppose to be in /usr/share/applications but it was not there. I tried to copy and paste from one folder to the other but the paste function was grayed out. I tried to drag and drop from one folder to the other but that caused this error, Error making symbolic link: Permission Denied . I then tried to change the file properties under the Permissions tab and it said, You are not the owner, so you can not change these permissions

Do you think copying the icon into the apps folder will make it appear in the menu?
If so how do I log on as the owner, to be able to do this?
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

We are talking about the Chrome-browser correct?

My question would be how did you download this Chrome? From where?

In Debian they use the Chromium-browser, it's in the repros via Synaptic Manager.

If you have the Chromium-broswer already installed but can't find it -- have you tried opening it by using the CLI ?

In the terminal type: chromium-browser <enter>
If the app is installed it will open.
If the browser does not open via CLI, it is not installed.

You could also, look for the App Folder/File ... if it is installed the file would be listed.
In Nautilus, click on File System > then open the 'usr' folder > then, 'share' folder > if the Chrome app is installed, it will have a folder here.

If you find that the chrome app is not actually installed ... I would recommend re-installing from the Debian repros with Synaptic.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Sounds like you had the same problem I had.
Did you have Chromium installed before Chrome? Chromium 6.0xxx is the one in synaptic.

I installed Chrome 8.0xxx with a download from Google. Ran the deb with gdebi. I thought it would install side by side with Chromium like it did in regular Mint 10. I was told that it was already installed? (It wasn't) I forgot about it until I went to edit my menus a few days later. To edit menus (Right click on Mint Menu, choose edit menu). I saw that a dedicated "DEBIAN" category there that was not checked off. I thought to browse around in there and have a look. It was populated with a ton of stuff (most also in the regular menus), BUT there was also an entry for Chrome that did not show up in the regular menu. I put the Chrome entry in the the regular "Internet" menu, by just dragging and dropping it there. Then clicked the new "CHROME" icon and up pops Chrome 8.0xxx. So it was there all along, just not visible.

Perhaps, its the same for you ? Its worth a look!

PS I did not leave the Debian category clicked on, as it just duplicates entries in the regular menu. Just drag and drop anything interesting. For me CHROME was the only one.

Good Luck!
Sleven

Post by Sleven »

vrkalak, yes I'm referring to the Google Chrome Browser

GeneC, that is exactly where it was hiding. After I click on the Debian folder I found it. Thank you
GeneC

Re: [SOLVED] Chrome Installation Problem

Post by GeneC »

Glad you found it.

I had given up on it.lol.. Found it just by accident. Learning something new here every day. :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”