ndiswrapper and installing XP drivers in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
pottzie

ndiswrapper and installing XP drivers in LMDE

Post by pottzie »

I checked around for info on using ndiswrapper in LMDE. I've installed the 32 bit version, but I don't see much info regarding LMDE and ndiswrapper on the web. I guess it should be the same as using Debian, but there's that "Install Windows Drivers" in the LMDE menu. I've never had much luck using that straight-out-of-the-box, so to speak. It always seems to need something else.
I have two computers that I need to install drivers on. Last night I tried installing on my other computer, running Ubunt 10.10. My question was basically whether there was a .tar file I could use, but someone gave me the complete install info, including saying that I needed to download and extract the XP driver, then do a couple of steps to get ndiswrapper installed. It worked great, but that's Ubuntu, not LMDE or Debian. Also had to get the ndiswrapper module to work.
Is there a generic guide for LMDE/Debian that I could use? And how much "extra" is there to using the "install Windows driver"?
The driver I installed was a Linksys wusb300n.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: ndiswrapper and installing XP drivers in LMDE

Post by vincent »

If I remember correctly, LMDE comes with ndiswrapper (and ndisgtk as well) out of the box, so the process to set up drivers using ndiswrapper is no different than in the mainstream Linux Mint editions (or Ubuntu, for that matter).
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Re: ndiswrapper and installing XP drivers in LMDE

Post by KenWeiLL »

vincent wrote:If I remember correctly, LMDE comes with ndiswrapper (and ndisgtk as well) out of the box, so the process to set up drivers using ndiswrapper is no different than in the mainstream Linux Mint editions (or Ubuntu, for that matter).
Yeah, it comes with ndiswrapper and ndisgtk but don't work as expected. It has been reported before on Launchpad since it doesn't actually work. Haven't tried it with December release of LMDE if it has been solved or not.

Bug #636797 in Linux Mint: “LMDE - ndiswrapper module not found”

Someone posted a solution but still, doesn't work for me.
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website

Return to “LMDE Archive”