LMDE 201012 Fails Starting Live Session

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: LMDE 201012 Fails Starting Live Session

Post by willie42 »

Check your MD5 to see if it matches. you also may want to run fsch on the drive to make sure your hard disk is ok. That was a problem I had a while back. you can check your hard disk using gparted.

hope this helps
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
XMint

Post by XMint »

Go to the mint menu and click on the "monitors" application (should be on the bottom row of the favorites by default)
My screen is still black! Wrong resolution says my monitor. I have to configure the right resolution at the boot option.
But I do not know how or if this is possible.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

see if this is helpful if not I will keep looking. :D
irek

Post by irek »

You can change resolution in the boot options by adding at the end for example vga=773 which will set 1024x768 resolution.
Here are other possible resolutions which You can set: http://pierre.baudu.in/other/grub.vga.modes.html
XMint

Post by XMint »

no chance even with a definited resolution the monitor stayes black. I think that is a driver problem.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

From the Linux Mint Blog today: http://blog.linuxmint.com/
LMDE:

* We’re currently addressing the “Black Screen of Death” bug and re-spinning the 32-bit ISO which is likely to be released sometime this week as “201101″ to avoid confusion with the current ISO. This bug is preventing many people from running the live CD.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Rifester

Post by Rifester »

My DVD boots fine on my netbook but fails on my laptop with ATI video card. The odd thing is I already have Debian Squeeze installed on this machine and it works perfectly...
heavymetalmixer

Post by heavymetalmixer »

I quote myself (yeah, i'm a weird guy)
For those who got the 32 bits edition, and are installing it using a USB (unetbootin): a found a solution:

First you gotta know what unti is your USB, in my case is /dev/sdb

Now, boot the live USB, get down until you're in "compatibilty mode", then press tab for editing. After "xforcevesa" put "nomodeset" and enter.

Just wait, and you''ll see the live USB begin with a 800*600 resolution

Now install LMDE (the steps are obvious, i won't say them), and wait until it's complete.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you got stucked in "Configuring bootloader" for a big while, quit the installation and reboot. Then use the live USB . . . again (yeah, i know it's so hard . . .)

Now, get down until you're in "compatibilty mode", then press tab for editing. After "xforcevesa" put "nomodeset", and where it says "root = /dev/ram", replaces ram for the unit of your usb, in this case sdb and enter.

Now, you got LMDE installed but grub is screwed, let's get going . . .
First, you gotta know what's the partition where you installed LMDE, open a root terminal a type:

"mount /dev/sda2 /mnt" (sda2 is in this case the partition where you installed LMDE)
"mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev"
"mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc"

then . . .

"chroot /mnt"
"grub-install --recheck /dev/sda" (here it's sda because got to be installed in all the Hard Drive)

Then, reboot WITHOUT the live USB, and enter in LMDE, just login normal, now you got the SO normally installed.

Open the root terminal and type:

"update-grub2" and wait until it's complete.

If that command didn't work, type this:
"aptitude install grub2" and follw the steps.

NOW you got LMDE 32 bits Installed successfuly.
Oh, i forgot to say something: I got a Nvidia VGA, for ATI, i think instead "nomodeset" it's "radeon.modeset=0"
I hope it helps you.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

golinux

Post by golinux »

Great!! After waiting nearly two weeks (stupid holidays), the LMDE 201012 disk from OSDisc.com arrived and of course, it doesn't work. Download is impossible on dialup. I am so screwed. Maybe LMDE isn't meant to be for me. :(

Yes, I've seen this thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 43#p358943 but that's a little out of my comfort range . . .
comsparks
Level 2
Level 2

Post by comsparks »

This is so retarded. Just throw mint in trash, erase the iso from your computer and forget you ever saw MINT. Go and download Debian 6 so you won't have all these problems. I've spent weeks trying to get this mess up and running with no luck. I'm back with Debian 6 and everything works great. But this IMO is the way to go.
golinux

Post by golinux »

comsparks wrote:This is so retarded. Just throw mint in trash, erase the iso from your computer and forget you ever saw MINT. Go and download Debian 6 so you won't have all these problems. I've spent weeks trying to get this mess up and running with no luck. I'm back with Debian 6 and everything works great. But this IMO is the way to go.
That's what I'm thinking. Problem is I won't be able to buy the disks until Squeeze becomes 'stable'. Hopefully soon. I do have Lenny discs but don't want to chance the upgrade to Squeeze. I'll just have to wait. In the meantime, there's always Mint 10. That disc works just fine. And good old Hardy is still rock solid . . .
comsparks
Level 2
Level 2

Post by comsparks »

Sounds good to me. I use to like Ubuntu but after 9.04 it went down hill fast. One thing I've learned through the years is that Engineers and Programmers love to change things. Unfortunately for the rest of us they will take something simple that works great, remove some wonderful attributes to it and then make it more complicated to operate. Debian 6 is pretty much stable that I can see now but they are still updating the program. They still haven't fixed the speaker beep during reboot but that is simple enough to correct by adding blacklist pcspkr to etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. Also they changed the GDM to GDM3 which makes it very very hard to log in as root and as mentioned above stripped out a lot of useful things. I corrected it by using synaptic and installing back the GDM and now have all the goodies I've come to enjoy. By the way it removes that crappy GDM3. I know I'll get comments stating about logging in as root but at least you can and if you screw up then you will learn things and not do it again. LOL

Return to “LMDE Archive”