cpufreq/scaling_governor

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gnimmelf

cpufreq/scaling_governor

Post by gnimmelf »

HI there
im trying to change the cpu governor to "performance". the procedure under here, worked in the 32 bit edition but not in the 64 bit? why?
could someone help me set it in 64 bit?, i really likes this edition!

kind regards Gnimmelf

Try this procedure:
1- Install sysfsutils, powernowd and cpufrequtils packages (cpufrequtils is probably already installed):
CODE: SELECT ALL
sudo apt-get install --reinstall cpufrequtils powernowd sysfsutils

2- Edit /etc/sysfs.conf (as root)
gksudo gedit /etc/sysfs.conf

3- Add (or edit if already there) these lines to /etc/sysfs.conf:
devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor = performance
devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor = performance
4- Reboot. Verify the result:
cpufreq-info
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
doktordave

Re: cpufreq/scaling_governor

Post by doktordave »

I don't have a fix, but I DO have a workaround. On my box, I commented out the lines in the sysfs.conf file. This way you don't get the "Failed" messages on boot. You will probably also need to add the following line to your fstab:

Code: Select all

sysfs	/sys	sysfs	defaults	0	0
Then, to set the performance governor, for example, run the following in terminal:

$ sudo cpufreq-set -c 0 -g performance
Do this for each processor in the system. If you don't want to type that all in each time, just create a file with the desired commands. Again, for my case, it would look like this:

maxcpu.sh

cpufreq-set -c 0 -g performance
cpufreq-set -c 1 -g performance
and you would run it in terminal like this:

$ sudo sh maxcpu.sh
If you use multiple profiles, just make a file for each; maxcpu.sh, mincpu.sh and so on for the conservative, userspace, powersave, ondemand, and performance governor that you want. You can use whatever filename that works for you.
gnimmelf

Post by gnimmelf »

thanks.
i managed to

$ sudo cpufreq-set -c 0 -g performance
on both cpu's but on reboot they returned to "ondemand".
i dont know how to

"add the following line to your fstab:"

sysfs	/sys	sysfs	defaults	0	0
and i dont know how to

"create a file with the desired commands."

maxcpu.sh

and you would run it in terminal like this:

$ sudo sh maxcpu.sh
could you help?

kind regards Gnimmelf
doktordave

Post by doktordave »

Unfortunately, at this point I have to do that on each restart myself if I want them to run at max. At least I can get them to run at max when I want to. Far as it goes, the ondemand governor does OK. It will increase cpu frequency as needed.

If it ran your processors at max when you ran "sudo cpufreq-set -c 0 -g performance" and "sudo cpufreq-set -c 1 -g performance", you shouldn't need to change your fstab file. I had to do that on my LMDE setup before I installed the new one (64 bit).

Let's say you wanted to change both cpu's at the same time. Just open gedit (or your favorite text editor), and paste the following two lines in it:

save the file as maxcpu.sh, for example, in your home folder. Then, to use it, all you need to do is run it in the terminal, with this command:

$ sudo sh maxcpu.sh
It will give you a little less to type that way. I haven't figured out what's up with running the way we used to, but for now, at least you can change it should you need/want to. I'm sure it will get sorted out before too long.
gnimmelf

Post by gnimmelf »

thanks! i will try it out.
we will just have to wait then :)
Gnimmelf

Return to “LMDE Archive”