Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Releases and other announcements
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby garcia82 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:33 am

tried install LMDE 201012 on netbook Asus EEEPC 701.. livecd worked perfectly but installation crash on "configuring bootloader" .. :(((
garcia82
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:06 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby J23 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:02 am

garcia82 wrote:tried install LMDE 201012 on netbook Asus EEEPC 701.. but installation crash on "configuring bootloader" .. :(((


Hi garcia82 :)
.. I had the same problem ..
- > but after a new try , I put the bootloader not on (for example) sda, ..
- > but rather on sdaXY .. on the same partition, where LMDE is sitting.

But:
This may only work, if another Mint-Version is on the disk .. and a bootloader is even there on.

exemplification:
sda1: LinuxMint-Isadora9
sda2: LMDE

HTH!
Thx a lot & bye , J .
Image
J23
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:38 pm

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby mads on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:34 pm

User avatar
mads
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1309
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby heavymetalmixer on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:29 pm

For those who got the 32 bits edition, and are installing it using a USB (unetbootin): a found a solution:

First you gotta know what unti is your USB, in my case is /dev/sdb

Now, boot the live USB, get down until you're in "compatibilty mode", then press tab for editing. After "xforcevesa" put "nomodeset" and enter.

Just wait, and you''ll see the live USB begin with a 800*600 resolution

Now install LMDE (the steps are obvious, i won't say them), and wait until it's complete.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you got stucked in "Configuring bootloader" for a big while, quit the installation and reboot. Then use the live USB . . . again (yeah, i know it's so hard . . .)

Now, get down until you're in "compatibilty mode", then press tab for editing. After "xforcevesa" put "nomodeset", and where it says "root = /dev/ram", replaces ram for the unit of your usb, in this case sdb and enter.

Now, you got LMDE installed but grub is screwed, let's get going . . .
First, you gotta know what's the partition where you installed LMDE, open a root terminal a type:

"mount /dev/sda2 /mnt" (sda2 is in this case the partition where you installed LMDE)
"mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev"
"mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc"

then . . .

"chroot /mnt"
"grub-install --recheck /dev/sda" (here it's sda because got to be installed in all the Hard Drive)

Then, reboot WITHOUT the live USB, and enter in LMDE, just login normal, now you got the SO normally installed.

Open the root terminal and type:

"update-grub2" and wait until it's complete.

If that command didn't work, type this:
"aptitude install grub2" and follw the steps.

NOW you got LMDE 32 bits Installed successfuly.
heavymetalmixer
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby heavymetalmixer on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:41 pm

Oh, i forgot to say something: I got a Nvidia VGA, for ATI, i think instead "nomodeset" it's "radeon.modeset=0"
heavymetalmixer
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby J23 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:15 am

Hello @ all, who got problems with Xmas-LMDE-32bit ..

I think,
the better way is .. to wait until January2011 ..
Clem says in his blog,
that a remastered 32bit-iso-LMDE is coming out on Jan.2011.
(because of the troubles, which are on the last release)

see: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1610
LMDE:

* We’re currently addressing the “Black Screen of Death” bug and re-spinning the 32-bit ISO which is likely to be released sometime this week as “201101″ to avoid confusion with the current ISO. This bug is preventing many people from running the live CD.
Thx a lot & bye , J .
Image
J23
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:38 pm

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby albert on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:03 pm

I installed LMDE 32bit on VirtualBox VM running on an aging iMac (I'm getting closer to just wiping the iMac and installing LM), and it works great directly from the .iso, however, when I try to install it, I eventually get a menu which scans for partitions (there 20 GiB available in VM). The menu follows one which asks about keyboard layout. I then "edit" partitions, Gparted starts and shows my 20 GiB unallocated space. I'm tempted to create a partition table but don't really have a clue re the details.

Any help here greatly appreciated.
User avatar
albert
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:38 am

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby Eucalyptus on Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:04 am

albert wrote:I installed LMDE 32bit on VirtualBox VM running on an aging iMac (I'm getting closer to just wiping the iMac and installing LM), and it works great directly from the .iso, however, when I try to install it, I eventually get a menu which scans for partitions (there 20 GiB available in VM). The menu follows one which asks about keyboard layout. I then "edit" partitions, Gparted starts and shows my 20 GiB unallocated space. I'm tempted to create a partition table but don't really have a clue re the details.

Any help here greatly appreciated.


The most important to remember is to separate root and home partition. Assuming you allocates 512 MB RAM to the VM:

6 to 8 GB, ext4, / (slash which means root)
remaining -512 MB, ext4, /home
512 MB, swap
User avatar
Eucalyptus
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:50 am
Location: Canada

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby J23 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:23 am

Please:
Have a look on NEWS-UPDATE in the Blog of Clem: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1610
Important: Clems post-Nr. 45
# Clem Says:
December 30th, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I forgot to mention three important things:

- Please do not download the ISO until it is officially announced (We’ll be releasing 201101 shortly but it’s not available yet. If you managed to download it already, you’re just running the wrong ISO.)
- If you downloaded 201012 and you’re getting a black screen you can try the following kernel arguments: “nomodeset” for nvidia, “nouveau.modeset=0″ for nforce/gforce and generic, “radeon.modeset=0″ for ATI cards. This should let you boot the live session and install LMDE. Post-install you’ll be running an up-to-date kernel, so you won’t need to modify your grub settings for things to work.
- The upcoming 201101 ISO should work fine for most chipsets in normal or compatibility modes without using any modesetting kernel arguments. I could personally observe that on two nvidia and one intel systems. We’ll be testing the ISO on more systems, including ATI chipsets, before releasing it.


Everything is said in this answer of Clem :)

Have a nice Sylvester & relax .. January 2011 is coming soon :)
Thx a lot & bye , J .
Image
J23
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:38 pm

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby Rafe on Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:08 pm

Installed the amd64 version without any problem. Thank you again, Clem.
User avatar
Rafe
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:56 pm

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby zebedeeboss on Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:33 am

Great Job... Complete Linux newb here and I have been trying to find a stable version for months... This one simply works right out of the Box... Superb... Just got the very steep climb now to Linux user status lol
Linux i5-mint16 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:20:46 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Intel i5-2320 @3.00 x 4 6Gb GeoForce GT 640 2Gb

Be Nice or Be Some Where Else
zebedeeboss
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:43 am

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby defcon on Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Will there be an official anoucement from clem when 2011.01 will be released?
User avatar
defcon
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:17 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby willie42 on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:53 pm

Keep an eye on the Blog it should be posted there.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
User avatar
willie42
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:52 pm
Location: Oak Ridge, TN USA

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby grey1960envoy on Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:59 pm

201101 came out today and it works like a charm on my Dell inspiron 1525 (as if I expected anything less ) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829
User avatar
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 pm
Location: 3rd rock from the sun

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby pickgrand on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:22 pm

I downloaded 201101 I am still having the black screen issue on this release. I have an intel 82830 graphics chip. xforcevesa and nomodeset. I can try stuff if someone give me instructions. But I don't know a lot of linux. any help would be great.
The blog says i915.modeset=0 but I am not sure where to put that it doesn't seem to work.
Any help would be great.
Laptop is a Dell Latitude C400 with 1gb ram.
pickgrand
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby JamesM on Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:27 am

Humm, are there any drafts for gnu/kfreebsd version of mint (not linux, i know, this means that it would be MintBSD or BSDMint)

I would surly use kfreebsd-mint for my desktop and make sure it has zfs installed. :)
JamesM
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:39 am

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby grey1960envoy on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 pm

JamesM wrote:Humm, are there any drafts for gnu/kfreebsd version of mint (not linux, i know, this means that it would be MintBSD or BSDMint)

I would surly use kfreebsd-mint for my desktop and make sure it has zfs installed. :)

Why not Mintify all the distros ? ...That would keep Clem and the crew busy for a while :wink: :wink: :wink:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829
User avatar
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 pm
Location: 3rd rock from the sun

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby dhante0334 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:45 am

Hello guys, just need help on linux mint debian, am using the 64 bit version, my video card is not working it is a ati radeon hd 3400 and skype is not working when i open it nothing happens. thank you and have a nice day,
dhante0334
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 11:19 am
Location: winnipeg, manitoba

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby Pranaone on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:54 pm

Downloaded it just now. Thanks mint team!
User avatar
Pranaone
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 12:50 am
Location: Sri Lanka

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby Kelley_Green on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:16 pm

J23 wrote:Please:
Have a look on NEWS-UPDATE in the Blog of Clem: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1610
Important: Clems post-Nr. 45
# Clem Says:
December 30th, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I forgot to mention three important things:

- Please do not download the ISO until it is officially announced (We’ll be releasing 201101 shortly but it’s not available yet. If you managed to download it already, you’re just running the wrong ISO.)
- If you downloaded 201012 and you’re getting a black screen you can try the following kernel arguments: “nomodeset” for nvidia, “nouveau.modeset=0″ for nforce/gforce and generic, “radeon.modeset=0″ for ATI cards. This should let you boot the live session and install LMDE. Post-install you’ll be running an up-to-date kernel, so you won’t need to modify your grub settings for things to work.
- The upcoming 201101 ISO should work fine for most chipsets in normal or compatibility modes without using any modesetting kernel arguments. I could personally observe that on two nvidia and one intel systems. We’ll be testing the ISO on more systems, including ATI chipsets, before releasing it.


Everything is said in this answer of Clem :)

Have a nice Sylvester & relax .. January 2011 is coming soon :)


Will there be a 64-bit 201101 release, or is it needed?
Running Linux Mint on two Netbooks, one Dell laptop and one Quad-core Desktop.
Kelley_Green
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: highwind and 4 guests