Using cgroup performance mod and rolling dist

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Cobra_DK

Using cgroup performance mod and rolling dist

Post by Cobra_DK »

Hi all,
I am running the first release of LMDE (201009) and I like it very much.
I do however not quite grasp the concept of a rolling dist. It doesn't seem that everything is updated to be the same as the new release.
After doing apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade today, i still don't have the lines in my rc.local to mount cgroup nor has my /etc/bash.bashrc been updated with the relevant lines.
However theses mods have been made in the new 201012 image.
I was of the understanding, that the rolling release concept should take care of these things so than a new install was not necessary?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SpyderPride

Re: Using cgroup performance mod and rolling dist

Post by SpyderPride »

As you were running upgrades, it should have asked you whether or not you wanted to update your scripts. If you specify "No", that you want to keep the existing version(s), the changes will not be made. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is how it works. I always allow the scripts to be updated to the new version. However, I did not upgrade from the September to December release because I wanted the AMD64 version, so I don't know for sure. Perhaps these types of changes cannot be "rolled in". A rolling release generally has to do with what packages are installed, so you are always getting the newest packages available at a certain level of stability for your distro. Script updates may not work the same way. Maybe they do. Someone else should comment on this.
Cobra_DK

Post by Cobra_DK »

HI SpyderPride,

No I wasn't asked about any script update.
If what you say is true, then the advantage of using a rolling release is not that great.
I don't see why it couldn't happen automatically. It is just a question of adding a few lines to 2 files, and create a new script in /usr/local/sbin.
Suo_Eno

Post by Suo_Eno »

Cobra_DK wrote: I was of the understanding, that the rolling release concept should take care of these things so than a new install was not necessary?
Same here.
SpyderPride

Post by SpyderPride »

Its possible that the issue lies with how new this flavor of Mint is. The general idea behind a rolling release is that you never have to install the newest version of the OS in order to get the newest packages. Since I've been using LMDE, I've gone through two big updates where the scripts were changed. It asked me if I wanted to keep the old version or replace it with the new version (answered Y).

Try using mintUpdate (the little shield thing in the notification area), be sure to go into Preferences and make sure all levels of packages are being upgraded.
Cobra_DK

Post by Cobra_DK »

SpyderPride wrote: Try using mintUpdate (the little shield thing in the notification area), be sure to go into Preferences and make sure all levels of packages are being upgraded.
That didn't do it :-)
I guess that the solution is to upgrade when a new version i released - mitigating the advantage of using a rolling distribution.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

I experiment a lot with alle sorts of distro's on a more then two (multiboot) system.
My 'home-distro' was PCLOS 2010 Gnome.
I also like 'Zorin' (Ubuntu/Debian).
I was very content with Mint 6 and Mint 8. 8 is still on this machine. PCLOS had the MBR of the system
(ext3 Grub1 no problem).
I use LMDE for some months now at the same time. And for one month it is my default distro.

LMDE is certainly the best linux I know. There is nothing negative to report from here.
NVidia was a little puzzling. The fan didn't slow down. But that was not too difficult.
The system here has to refresh sites in a browser (mostly Firefox, but als Opera of Chrome), it has to
refresh a lot of feeds in a feedreader, there's the fetch of quite some email, I play music or video
at the same time (never stops like in Mint 6 or 8 ), I write on forums at the same time, I use editors,
I search the web, do some chess, do all sorts of file-work etc. etc. 16 hours a day and never LMDE
complaints.

I think if you let it do this for some weeks it is still right without reset. Extremely stable.
Good applications and a lot of them, in spite of 'no Ubuntu'.

Only miss: Moonlight. I tried several times, but it does not work.
And there are sites switching to Silverlight.
For instance: http://www.rtl.nl/xl/#/u/ef84e6e6-8920- ... ab27a440dd
Or: http://nos.nl/nieuws/live/politiek24/
And: http://nos.nl/nieuws/live/journaal24/
Etc.

(I put it on 'squeeze' instead of 'test' in source.lst and updated after that.)

Great! Nothing to wish left for my situation. Thanks a lot Clem and crew. :D 8)

(I don't know if this is the right place to report. Please move when necessary. :wink: )
Last edited by rijnsma on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cobra_DK

Post by Cobra_DK »

rijnsma. The topic here is: "Using cgroup performance mod and rolling dist"
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Cobra_DK wrote:rijnsma. The topic here is: "Using cgroup performance mod and rolling dist"
I'm very sorry. If it is not the right place I have no problem with moving it to another place, I wrote.
I didn't know where to put it. I saw the term 'rolling distro' and so on... :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”