Linux Mint 3.1 Celena is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Hey Clem,
I did try WicD in Mint Gnome and while I am technically able to auto connect it won't without the previously mentioned sudo command. For some reason my wireless has to be made to go to mode auto before it will connect to anything. In XFCE this isn't the case, it works all the time.

Any ideas what Merlwiz did that fixed it in XFCE?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

What about automatically calling this command at boot time?
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

That would work, what would I have to do to make that work? I have very limited experience with making scripts.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

You could add the line in the end of the /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default file... it's messy but it would work fine.

Clem
rfruth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rfruth »

Just switched to Celena and wow not too heavy or light just right ! :)
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

n3tfury wrote:I have Celena installed, but i don't know which version. where can i look to find out?
Did someone give you a LiveCD or something? Where did you get your Celena? The source would be a good place to start, in terms of checking which version you have.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It must be BETA 017 so.

Clem
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

clem wrote:You could add the line in the end of the /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default file... it's messy but it would work fine.

Clem
Worked like a charm thanks Clem!
Wh1sper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wh1sper »

calumc wrote: Oh and one small idea. I know that you added the online start page in firefox so that you could get a definite number of people using mint but would it be possible for you to make the stats public so we can all see how big its gotten?
Nice idea! I vote for it.
Mein Blog fuer Nerten und Linux Strategen http://zockertown.de/s9y/
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

calumc: It makes it easier for us to track, however I'm not entirely sure the way we're counting right now is accurate. phpMyvisites is telling me only 4782 people have opened Firefox in Celena so far (only English speakers are counted but still....). Ou main mirror shows 37204 downloads... so on that mirror alone that would mean 32422 people downloaded Celena but never went to point of launching Firefox in it??? That doesn't make sense... not to mention the fact that there are 5 mirrors as we speak. We can't trust the number of downloads to be the same as the number of users and only some of the mirrors actually track them but we certainly can't trust what the start page says. I'll see if I can store the HTTP data manually instead of using phpmyVisites and if we can get a better idea... but so far we're still in the "we don't have a clue how many users there are" kind of thing :)

Clem
Wolfen69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wolfen69 »

great job, clem. i just switched over from ubuntu just because i like the way the menus are setup and the default look is great.

i fix windows machines for a living, and plan on giving all my customers a copy of celena to try out. it's a great distro, especially for newbs. keep up the good work, and i'll keep seeding. peace.
Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Missed »

Downloaded and installed just fine. It's great. Love it.

I very nearly installed Opera from an AptonCD backup. If I had, then I would not have shown up in the FireFox stats. As it was I went for the Software Portal version.
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Installed with only one issue.......

Post by ElEdwards »

Hey :) I love this!

After the installation and the reboot, I was filled with dread when GRUB got hung... but this turned out to be momentary... after about 5 seconds, the normal GRUB menu came up and I was able to continue.

I looked at /etc/grub/menu.lst and found this line in it:

Code: Select all

gfxmenu=/etc/grub/message.mint
which doesn't exist in /etc/grub/, so I commented it out, rebooted and all is fine :)

Thanks, Clem and the Team!! :D
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Regarding the Kernel version......

Post by ElEdwards »

My kernel version is 2.6.20-15. Is this the latest?

I've been installing all kinds of OS's, just playing until I find one I can settle on and I think I've come back home to Mint :)

....but the last time I installed Ubuntu 7.04, I was prompted to download around 130 updates, including kernel 2.6.20-16.

After installing and booting Celena, I have never gotten an "Updates Available" message... is this correct or is something missing?

Thanks! :)
rogerdean
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rogerdean »

That's right, the automatic update manager has not been enabled on boot in Celena. The thinking is that this will help stop people damaging their systems by installing core updates without really knowing the consequences. It's been a bit of a debate, but that's where we are now. I'm in favour.

Of course you can always do a manual update through synaptic, so it's easy enough if you really need to

Roger
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

Thanks, Roger.... that's just what I did a few minutes ago :)
rfruth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rfruth »

AndyD Celena did the same thing to me (install mounted some drives) but have seen gparted do the same thing so I just right clicked on the mounted drives icons & unmounted them then went ahead with install as usual - not too clean IMO but not a show stopper
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

nice upgrade..!

Post by capricornus »

Clem
thanks again for this nice upgrade I'm gladly testing now on a K8/Sempron2600/SATA/256MBRAM/integratedVIA/AGPvideo system.
It installed and works fluently.
Against all advice I upgraded all with Synaptic, 98 files, lot's of stuff, but 'till now no crashes or problems.
Thumbs up.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

AndyD: this sure sounds like a UUID problem. Are you getting an error messages similar that includes a UUID fault?
I had a dual boot that acted badly after an upgrade to Celena 3.1 from Cassandra on one partition, and a new install of Celena on another. UUID was different in the fstab for the two separate partitions. I would get output in tty that said the 'file system check failed' and 'a maintenance shell is being started' and 'bash group commands not found' and 'apt-get not installed' and 'bash: lesspipe command not found' ... etc.

I missed the uuid fault - I suppose because it was too late to be installing an OS. Since I had data backed up I decided I must have borked something in the upgrade and re-installed using the live cd. I know, a brutal fix. While the install took place, I saw what looked like a momentary mount of drives (drive icons would flash on the desktop). The end result however was that this new install would boot and work, but the other previously installed Celena install on the other partition would not boot. That's when I noticed the uuid error in the tty console when boot failed.

Commands to check the uuid if you don't have them:
sudo vol_id /dev/sdax -u (where x is the number of the location of the partition). You would use: sudo vol_id /dev/hdyx for the IDE drives.
This will display the UUIDs you need to verify on both disks.

Note: Mint doesn't need to use the UUIDs; you can use the device names (/dev/sda1, etc.) instead. That is the advice Scorp123 provided in a backup how to (and I have followed that advice advice). Open fstab in a text editor by typing: sudo gedit /etc/fstab in terminal, and delete the uuids - use the device names. Do this for the fstab on both disks.

Sorry for the length of this post.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Clem, and any one else who gives 2 squats....

I am new to linux and also mint as such.

I have tried linux on 2 other laptops in the past an acer piece of ...and a linux built to order one that has issues - ubuntu installed and even overwitten that with mint - bea was it???

Ok - Celena on a refurb thinkpad R51 - brief comments.

volume buttons work

screen brightness works

trackpad works and double clicks - though no settings. but not wild and anarchic like past experiences with mint and/or ubuntu specifically.
record CD data - yes

play DVD yes

play music CD yes

got wireless running yes

just tried hibernate and it seemed to work - had to press the start button...thought it was going through a restart - but it asked for my password and wifi was still connected! Wow!!! Impressed!

I am currently writing a legit article on linux experience as a noob and also featuring Mint. But since I just installed celena a few days ago and also just received this laptop the same day i loaded 100% formatted over the windows without ever opening up in windows i am still experimenting and working on this before I can continue and finish a more articulate article on linux, noobism/newbism, and Mint Celena in specific.

Seriously, no bullshit: This is the finest and most comprehensively satisfying linux experience I have ever had!

Had to comment and please forgive the crudity.

finishe article will be submitted and posted! as a new person to linux I am not rushing it; But Celena is freakin sweeeeet!

Gray Wizard/Norman

p.s. I am deeply impressed!

Very Zen!
Last edited by GrayWizardLinux on Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”