Problems with new lmde install

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lleiria
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Problems with new lmde install

Post by lleiria »

My actual situation:
I reinstalled linux lmde without the bootloader and everything was fine.
But the mbr was already messed up, so when I boot the computer I go to the grub rescue prompt.
Next step: reinstall grub manually, isn't it?
I have already tried it, but with no success.
I'll appreciate help
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi lleiria!
After having searched I'm ready now to make suggestions, but I must know first:
1. You have an USB stick where you can copy the MBR?
2. As I don't have installed LMDE at the moment (I could not even boot from 201012 to desktop):
Booting from your Mint live medium: open a Terminal / Konsole an run as root - after having plugged in your USB stick:

Code: Select all

gparted

If not installed, you get a hint how to install it.
Label your USB stick with GP (e.g. TRANSCEND, SANDISK,...).
This is necessary to better identify it.
If done, please report.
seeley
lleiria
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lleiria »

seeley,
I do have an usb stick and can do it, but what for? MBR is already messed up... Should I recover it first to erase what grub wrote there (and doesn't work)?
Lleiria
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I had the same problem. I set up a fairly complicated Virtual Box environment complete with separate NTFS, FAT32, and EXT4 data partitions and had installed BootItNG in the MBR because all my real systems use BootITNG to multiboot.

Tried to install GRUB into sda1 where LMDE presided and got stuck in "Configuring bootloader". Out of desperation I started again and this time tried to put GRUB into sda ( MBR ) - that didn't work either. It turned out that for some reason the NTFS partition was corrupted in some way so after deleting it and installing again I was able to install GRUB in sda1 like I wanted.

What I did to diagnose this problem was to boot to the LiveCD and use Nautilus to mount every partition in order. It's when I tried to mount the NTFS partition that I realized that it it couldn't because of some error which I fail to remember at the moment. I'm guessing that the grub installer is scanning all the partition to see if they are bootable entities and if it encounters a problem with any of them it doesn't know how to move on.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
ahulsbos

Post by ahulsbos »

Okay, I had the same problem: installation stuck at "configuring bootloader". However, because I had to boot the DVD into compatibility mode, I had a console open and could investigate what was going on. It turned out that the installer hung trying to mount an NTFS partition, while searching for other bootable OSes to add to the boot menu. So here is how I solved it. In the following I have one harddisk "/dev/sda" with 2 partitions, "/dev/sda1" with a Windows XP installation and "/dev/sda2" in which I want to install LMDE.

1. The first problem is an unfinished installation. Reboot and redo the installation, select to NOT install the bootloader/GRUB. The installation should now run to completion.
2. Now we have to install the bootloader ourselves. LMDE 201012 uses GRUB version 2, the Debian variant, meaning with the script "/etc/grub.d/30_os-prober" that hangs the installation. We must prevent this script from running. During installation LMDE mounts the partition that you want Mint to reside on to "/target". Therefore edit the file "/target/etc/default/grub". Add the line

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
to the file.
3. Optionally make an entry for Windows to the boot menu. Add the following lines to "/target/etc/grub.d/40_custom" (again, this is optional):

menuentry "Windows XP" {
	set root=(hd0,1)
	chainloader +1
}
If afterwards the boot into Windows doesn't work, consult with the GRUB people.
4. Now (re)generate the"/target/boot/grub/grub.cfg" file. First chroot into the target directory, then do the (re)creation:
$ sudo chroot /target
$ sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
5. Install GRUB into the master boot record if necessary (still chrooted):
$ sudo grub-install /dev/sda
6. Your installation should now be complete, reboot and hopefully enjoy.

One remark. If you need to reboot somewhere in between and you start the Live DVD again, this is how you get the "/target" directory back (again with my "/dev/sda2", from the GRUB documentation):
$ sudo mkdir /target
$ sudo mount /dev/sda2 /target
$ sudo mount --bind /dev /target/dev
$ sudo mount --bind /proc /target/proc
$ sudo mount --bind /sys /target/sys
The dev, proc and sys filesystems are necessary for the correct functioning of the GRUB configuration scripts. The target directory is now ready to chroot into.

As you can imagine, I had a couple of hours fun with that. Still, the real problem is that the Live DVD doesn't manage to mount NTFS filesystems. By the way, maybe the preceding has some superfluous sudos, sorry for that. Also, the GRUB website has a lot of helpful information, have a look at it.

Of course you try this at your own risk, I'm still plucking dragon scales out of my hair, good luck...
lleiria
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lleiria »

Seeley,
I'm still waiting for your instructions, after one day of forum crash...
altair4
I can't delete the ntfs partition, my wife would kill me! That's a win xp partition. I want to demonstrate her linux is better, but I still have to fix the wireless drives, cause wireless, with the live cd, only works very near the router.
ahulsbos,
Your instructions are very complicated. I'll try, if I don't have any easier solution.
In fact, I already installed lmde without the bootloader, and everything was fine. The problem is the messed up MBR, that does not let me boot either windows or linux. But if it's correct what you are saying, that means that's a serious bug and the problem will appear with everyone that has an ntfs and windows partition. ??
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

lleiria wrote:Seeley,
I'm still waiting for your instructions, after one day of forum crash...
altair4
I can't delete the ntfs partition, my wife would kill me! That's a win xp partition. I want to demonstrate her linux is better, but I still have to fix the wireless drives, cause wireless, with the live cd, only works very near the router.
ahulsbos,
Your instructions are very complicated. I'll try, if I don't have any easier solution.
In fact, I already installed lmde without the bootloader, and everything was fine. The problem is the messed up MBR, that does not let me boot either windows or linux. But if it's correct what you are saying, that means that's a serious bug and the problem will appear with everyone that has an ntfs and windows partition. ??
I tried to load LDME for the past 12 hours and well its Grub2 is a pain. I still have not got it installed. Its not just with NTFS partitions it with the installer its self. I have found some very useful information here thats going to help me load it when I get home from work. I borked my system up trying to load it. Lucky thing I have my home on a seperate partition. I found this problem in both the 32 bit and 64 bit version. I Plan on trying to load LDME in the morning and let Julia find it and not install Grub 2 from LDME and I will post and let everyone know how that goes.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
lleiria
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lleiria »

All,
I booted with the live lmde usb stick to try to install grub, but first I wanted to backup sda1 to a usb hard drive. On my computer folder, I had all the partitions, but when I tried to mount sda1 (windows partition) to make the backup, I received an error: "Unable to mount location - DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)"
Could this be the origin of the problem? Could be the reason why the bootloader didn't install??
First I had tried to recover MBR with Norton, but it didn't work. I still can't boot windows. Norton didn't find, though, any errors on the ntfs partition...
I'm running out of options... I just wanted to do a total backup of the windows partition, and if I can't have both systems, install lmde on the whole disk. Then I will need help to improve wireless... and to convince my wife (who is away) that linux is really better. Any help, please?
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

well Grub needs to be loaded just when installing just dont install a boot loader then go back after you get LMDE installed and

sudo apt-get install Grub

sudo update-grub
The problem from what I can see is with Grub2.

I hope this works thats the only thing that I can think of.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

lleiria wrote:All,
I booted with the live lmde usb stick to try to install grub, but first I wanted to backup sda1 to a usb hard drive. On my computer folder, I had all the partitions, but when I tried to mount sda1 (windows partition) to make the backup, I received an error: "Unable to mount location - DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)"
Could this be the origin of the problem? Could be the reason why the bootloader didn't install??
First I had tried to recover MBR with Norton, but it didn't work. I still can't boot windows. Norton didn't find, though, any errors on the ntfs partition...
I'm running out of options... I just wanted to do a total backup of the windows partition, and if I can't have both systems, install lmde on the whole disk. Then I will need help to improve wireless... and to convince my wife (who is away) that linux is really better. Any help, please?
As you have some issue with LMDE, then it is unwise to use it for 'recovery of windows data partition'.
It is better to use a recovery tool, I often use partedmagic live CD, it has a lots of tool like gparted, testdisk, clonezilla, etc.
It has also browser , making copying information to forum easy. When it get booted up it runs on RAM and eject CD, leaving the DVD writer available for copying files from hard disk.

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

once boot up, click the Mount Devices to see all the hard disk partitions. Below is the screen shots
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=screenshots
gbe

Post by gbe »

Hi It appears the lmde iso is buggy and has been withdrawn there will be another release coming. I think I will give it a few weeks, perhaps the team were a little rushed for xmas. I am sure all will be good in the end after all it is free.
lleiria
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lleiria »

ahulsbos,

I followed your guide, beginning with $ sudo mkdir /target and so on, because I had already made the successful instalation, then I proceeded to install the bootloader, following exactly your guidelines. And it worked!
You're really good!
I'm already writing in mint lmde on the toshiba laptop! Thanks a lot!
Unfortunately, though it appears as an option on the menu, I couldn't boot windows. I'll need more help to that.
But I have already access to sda1, and I'm backing up the whole disk to an usb HD.
Can anyone help me to boot windows now? Grub people?
Thanks!
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
As you see (D5shot.png) ->
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=62603
It is possible to disable grub installation.
What to do after installing without boot loader? It depends on other operating systems, e.g. if someone installed Mint after Windows, there are several possibilities to add GRUB2 later on.
To install GRUB2 into the MBR after having installed a Linux normally is no problem.
seeley
lleiria
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lleiria »

Seeley
Yes, I reinstalled LMDE without the bootloader and after installed it following ahulsbos's suggestions. But unfortunately now I can't boot windows, just linux. Would you help me on this issue?
Thanks!
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
1. You have your Mint from which you installed? You need it for this solution!
2. Please post the output of:

sudo fdisk -l
l is a lowercase "L" like list.
seeley

Edit:
If you have time, please read:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=62016
because you must do some similar steps.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi lleiria!
Please boot from your live Mint, run

sudo gparted
(if not installed, install it) and "label" your partitions - to easy identify them:
sda1 -> label SDA1 ,... ; if mounted, you first have to unmount them before labeling.
Swap partition and extended partition cannot be labeled.
We will continue tomorrow!
seeley
lleiria
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lleiria »

Seeley,
Here's the result of fdisk -l:

Disk /dev/sda: 40.0 GB, 40007761920 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4864 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0ff3d6a7

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1        3832    30780508+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3            3833        4009     1419264   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda4            4009        4864     6868992   83  Linux
I have lmde running well on sda4. Do you still want me to run the live cd (in fact a live usb stick) and label the partitions?
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi lleiria!
To restore GRUB we need the live medium!
Booting from that you must label sda4 - without that we can't continue. You can label it "SDA4" or "MINT",...
with GParted or via Terminal:

sudo mkdir /media/MINT
afterwards

ls /media
You should see: MINT (or SDA4).
Next step:

sudo mount /dev/sda4 /media/MINT
(or .../media/SDA4)
Please report, staying on your live USB, because we have to continue there.
seeley
lleiria
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lleiria »

OK, I labeled sda1 as sda1, and sda4 as MINT with gparted, booting from the live usb
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi lleiria!
You are on live Mint?
If "ls /media" has printed MINT and if it is mounted - you can check this with

mount
run:

sudo grub-setup -d /media/MINT/boot/grub /dev/sda
If the command fails, please report and post the output.
Success ->
Reboot - without live USB - see the headline of the menu (Grub 1.98?),
choose the first entry (first row), something like:
'Linux Mint 10 ..., 2.6.35-22-generic (/dev/sda4)...'
run:

sudo update-grub
reboot (from hd of course)
You see Windows and Mint?
seeley

Return to “LMDE Archive”