Need libgtk2.0-dev...how to get?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

Need libgtk2.0-dev...how to get?

Post by wh7qq »

I need libgtk2.0-dev in order to compile the hdhomeun_config_gui utility for the hdhomerun tv tuner. I can run it in mythbuntu where the utility is already set up but I would prefer to run it in LMDE. When I try to install it I get:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
[sudo] password for paul: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libgtk2.0-dev : Depends: libpango1.0-dev (>= 1.20) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libcairo2-dev (>= 1.6.4-6.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
Suggestions?

Paul
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beefstu

Re: Need libgtk2.0-dev...how to get?

Post by beefstu »

Try to install the dependencies manually.

apt install libpango1.0-dev libcairo2-dev
then try again
vincent

Post by vincent »

Heh, dependency hell in action again! :P

The Mint devs recently updated LMDE's repo to include a patched libcairo2 (for better font rendering than what is default in Debian), and unfortunately they forgot to import a couple of dependencies for libcairo2-dev from the Ubuntu repositories. I ran into this problem a few days ago, but I forgot which packages had to be manually fetched from http://packages.ubuntu.com ... so just apt-get install libcairo2-dev, look at what packages APT is complaining about, and then search for them on Ubuntu's website, download them, install them with "dpkg -i", and rinse and repeat until you solve all the dependency problems.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm hope that'll be fixed soon - that's not an unimportant package....

sure you can get other packages from the ubuntu servers yourself and so on but still. not everyone compiling stuff that basically works just fine on debian should have to do that on lmde.

but this IS a nice example of how ubuntu packages aren't always 100% good for debian :mrgreen:
Kiranos

Post by Kiranos »

Hi I installed the new "Linux Mint Debian (201012)" And I'm trying to install the same packege and I still get:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgtk2.0-dev : Depends: libpango1.0-dev (>= 1.20) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libcairo2-dev (>= 1.6.4-6.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Do you guys have direct links to the correct packages, or better yet a fix in a close timeframe?
vincent

Post by vincent »

No, I don't have direct links to the right packages, as I didn't jot them down when I was solving this issue myself, and I'm not about to go and uninstall and reinstall a bunch of packages when you can easily find this information yourself. :P

sudo apt-get install libpango1.0-dev libcairo2-dev
Just keep on "apt-get install"-ing packages until you find some required packages that aren't present in Debian's repository, and search for them on http://packages.ubuntu.com.
crispata

Post by crispata »

Having this exact problem. How to get this to the devs attention? -- Is there a bugs thread? The only one I see is locked. I did a reinstall based on this because I was sure it was my fault and I'd irrevocably hosed something up. :oops:

I understand the proposed solution in this thread -- but honestly it kinda stinks. I'm happy to wait awhile for this to get fixed, but hope it does indeed get fixed soon!!
vincent

Post by vincent »

Report all bugs on Launchpad...

I think the "bug" escaped the developers' attention mostly because of the fact that regular Mint users don't usually need -dev packages for their day-to-day activities. It's not a showstopper bug though, so I don't mind too much.
crispata

Post by crispata »

I think the "bug" escaped the developers' attention mostly because of the fact that regular Mint users don't usually need -dev packages for their day-to-day activities. It's not a showstopper bug though, so I don't mind too much.
Fair enough. :) I'm not grumpy about it, it was just frustrating to run into right away upon switching to a new distro. Will hit up launchpad...
glo0m

Post by glo0m »

Hi,

is there a way to downgrade the "affected" packages? (which packages?)
I need to install libgtkmm-2.4-dev (which also needs libgtk2.0-dev and some other -devs that won't install) for compiling Easystroke.

Thx, glo0m
crispata

Post by crispata »

FYI bug is here for everyone interested. Someone beat me to it...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/695621
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm any news on that?
I hate booting fedora everytime I wasn to try ANYTHING i have to build from source. (current banshee dev versions, building gnome-panel to allow more favorites before grouping them, maybe take another look at gnome-shell)
plus my fedora install is running on rawhide right now so it can break any day which is why I'd rather have some of this stuff on ldme

Return to “LMDE Archive”