kernel 2.6.32 , ldme and desktop

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
giorsat

kernel 2.6.32 , ldme and desktop

Post by giorsat »

hi. Here is only some thoughts on using debian for desktop use. I , for example, use 3 notebooks at work. They all are no more than 1 year old. Using a 2.6.32 kernel means that all of them don't have audio working out of the box. I had to install 2.6.37 from experimental because even sid is frozen with 2.6.32. So audio works perfectly with the newest alsa modules. With 2.6.32 apple bluez mouse doesnt' scroll.. with 2.6.37 no problem at all. works out of the box. The problem is with nvidia . If I want to use nvidia driver with 3D (not a impossible desire since with ubuntu theywork out of the box) I must have linux kernel headers but they are not available in experimental . so If I want to use virtual box or 3D, I must switch to 2.6.32 without audio or mice.
the fact is that 2.6.32 is released in oct.2009. We are almost january 2011 and in tecnology time it's prehostorical, expecially in terms of desktop use. The freeze period is completely wrong in my humble opinion expecially when it concernes the sid distro. so for the moment I must say lmde is a no go for computers with newer hardware unless mint engineers release a newer kernel desktop oriented
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
asymmetros

Re: kernel 2.6.32 , ldme and desktop

Post by asymmetros »

I must say lmde is a no go for computers with newer hardware
Not necessarily. E.g. i am running right now 2.6.36-1 liquorix.

I just followed the instructions given in those links:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=56874
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/158

It works fine for me.
giorsat

Post by giorsat »

well you too had to change kernel anyway...
SpyderPride

Post by SpyderPride »

Debian kernels are always behind most other distros. I believe their reasoning is that they want rock-solid stability for server installs above all else, or it may have something to do with the fact that they have finally achieved a kernel that is completely free of proprietary code (explaining the Sid freeze).

As previously stated, there is always Liquorix. I have tried it, no real difference for me, but I have a 2.5 year old laptop. The last kernel that let me have decent 3D acceleration was 2.6.27, which isn't really an option anymore (graphics got legacy'd by ATI). Sometimes you are all but forced to use a distro with or without the hardware support you need. But anyway, the liquorix kernel is cake to install, just add the repo, install the key packages, install the kernel package, reboot and you'll know if it worked or not.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

giorsat wrote:The problem is with nvidia . If I want to use nvidia driver with 3D (not a impossible desire since with ubuntu theywork out of the box) I must have linux kernel headers but they are not available in experimental . so If I want to use virtual box or 3D, I must switch to 2.6.32 without audio or mice.
Try Kanotix' scripts. They install the latest drivers by patching them if needed and check the whole build environment. Kano's install-fglrx-debian.sh installs the latest catalyst for my ATI card even though the kernels (2.6.36/37) have yet to be supported by the driver.

You need install-nvidia-debian.sh and install-vbox-addons-debian.sh (VB 3.x). Log out from X, switch to a console, make yourself su, stop gdm ("gdm stop") and run the nvidia script (wireless won't work, you'll need an ethernet connection).
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I don't think there is an explicit freeze on Sid, but major changes are still discouraged, and most of the work is on stabilising Squeeze. Squeeze has only been frozen since August so it is kind of odd that Sid still only has 2.6.32. In any case, with Squeeze only having 139 remaining release-critical bugs, it should be ready to go live soon.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

From the Debian Devs Mailinglist:
Rumors on the Linux Kernel for Debian Wheezy (testing), once Squeeze goes stable ... are that the new testing branch of Debian will have the 2.6.36 kernel.
I have already upgraded my new LMDE 201012 to the 2.6.36.2 kernel.

From the Linux Kernel Archives > http://kernel.org

You could also, install the Liquorix Kernel > http://liquorix.net/
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

vrkalak wrote:From the Debian Devs Mailinglist:
Rumors on the Linux Kernel for Debian Wheezy (testing), once Squeeze goes stable ... are that the new testing branch of Debian will have the 2.6.36 kernel.
I have already upgraded my new LMDE 201012 to the 2.6.36.2 kernel.

From the Linux Kernel Archives > http://kernel.org

You could also, install the Liquorix Kernel > http://liquorix.net/

Is there any advantage? currect LMDE 64 bit with 2.6.32 kernel run fast on my intel machine.
however most of my other Linux OSes are with 2.6.33, 2.6.35 kernel. I am yet to use 2.6.36 kernel.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

wayne128 wrote:Is there any advantage? currect LMDE 64 bit with 2.6.32 kernel run fast on my intel machine.
however most of my other Linux OSes are with 2.6.33, 2.6.35 kernel. I am yet to use 2.6.36 kernel.
Not really ... it depends on your hardware mostly, as to what advantage there is to upgrading the kernel.

Agreed, the 2.6.32 kernel in LMDE and Debian 6.0 Squeeze is stable and fast and works with most hardware. All of the 'bugs' have been squashed already.

The 2.6.36.2 is the latest 'stable' Kernel released ... that is all. :P

Return to “LMDE Archive”