Convert LMDE 32-bit to 64-bit?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bpeary
Level 2
Level 2

Convert LMDE 32-bit to 64-bit?

Post by bpeary »

Having installed (four months ago) and customized the initial 32-bit system on my AMD-64, I'm now faced with the question of what to do about the new 64-bit release. Any way to convert, short of a fresh install? Seems like this should be a topic covered in the FAQ, installation guides, and release announcements.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Convert LMDE 32-bit to 64-bit?

Post by wayne128 »

I do not think there is a way to convert 32-bit to 64-bit OS.
Fresh install for 64-bit is the way to go.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

No you cannot convert. They're different and you must have a 64 bit install. You can run 32 bit apps on a 64 bit OS, but not the other way around.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

but you can export a package list from synaptic (or use mintbackup) so everything you have gets reinstalled after you've added the sources (or copied your sources.list ;)) and you can keep and reuse your /home partition so all the settings and data are were you left them.
bpeary
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bpeary »

Thank you all.
ACDCBag
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ACDCBag »

gotjazz wrote:but you can export a package list from synaptic (or use mintbackup) so everything you have gets reinstalled after you've added the sources (or copied your sources.list ;)) and you can keep and reuse your /home partition so all the settings and data are were you left them.
Hey gotjazz, could you please provide a little further information on this? I'm a relative noob, and I'm in the same situation as bpeary. Thanks.
anmys

Post by anmys »

ACDCBag wrote: could you please provide a little further information on this? I'm a relative noob, and I'm in the same situation as bpeary. Thanks.
It is quite simple if you are comfortable with a command-line. On your "old" system just do

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections > pkgs.lst
on the "new" system, just do

Code: Select all

dpkg --set-selections < pkgs.lst
apt-get dselect-upgrade
Of course, you should have set up the sources.list properly.

Regards.
ACDCBag
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ACDCBag »

Thanks anmys, I'm about to give this a try. Appreciate the help.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

More information in this tutorial, including a GUI method, section D: How to upgrade to a newer release

Return to “LMDE Archive”