Mint Update in LMDE 201012

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Mint Update in LMDE 201012

Post by Fornhamfred »

I have posted a similar question before when running LMDE 9 but having reinstalled LMDE 10 because I had previously used mint update, configured to accept updates 1 to 3, to keep my system updated I was suprised to see an updated version of Mint Update installed (4.2). Using update in version 9 had not installed the kernel changes and so although my system was very stable it was not a fully updated rolling release. The answers I received previously stated that the method of updating debian was not the same as the ubuntu based versions and therefore my question is why is Mint Update in the version?

With preferences 4 & 5 selected there are already packages which have not been updated as the screen print below.

A definitive answer would be appreciated as newbies must be very confused.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint Update in LMDE 201012

Post by rivenathos »

This appears to be a subject that Clem and the development team will probably address soon enough. LMDE is a different animal from the Main edition, so the old way of doing things will most likely need some slight adjustment.

The noted Level 4 and 5 updates have caused no issues in my pure Debian install, but I have not run them in my LMDE install yet. I honestly do not foresee any glitches, but with a few people in the forums already posting problems, all bets are off.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
ShexNivis

Post by ShexNivis »

I update them but I use smxi without X. Better safe than sorry : )
more info on smxi: http://smxi.org/site/about.htm#smxi
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

I used Mint update for the 64-bit installation.
Some 150+ updates, level 3, I just went ahead and update all.
So far running well :)
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Traditionally updates 4 and 5 are not recomended because they have been labeled as unstable. You can try to install them and as many has not seen anything negitive from this I would encourage you keep an up to date backup of all data just incase something does break your system. :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks for your replies.

I was hoping that either Clem or one of the development team would help us by explaining the idea behind including mint update and what the Mint philosophy for keeping LMDE up-to-date.

If I were new to Mint I would assume that Mint Update is what is intended to be used but is this corret?
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Well you have to look at this way. The way they have Mint set up is that all the updates they send down are all stable and not proven to break a system. Now some of the 4 and 5 updates have not been proven stable. I know I would not be happy to install an update and end up with a borked system. So actully its for the protection of the users especially the newbies who dont know better and people who want to keep the system running. you can change the settings to have all the updates come in. but by default just the 1 -3 come in.

hope this helps
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

Return to “LMDE Archive”