Audacious 2.4

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
MattDobson

Audacious 2.4

Post by MattDobson »

Does anyone know if Audacious 2.4 can be installed on LMDE? So far I have only been able to find instructions for v2.3.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MattDobson

Re: Audacious 2.4

Post by MattDobson »

Can anyone help?
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

I can't imagine why you couldn't install it if you can find it. 2.3 is in the repositories somewhere so there is nothing to installing that. If you can get a .deb file it's easy to install it with gdebi, and compiling/installing from source isn't that hard.
MattDobson

Post by MattDobson »

sgosnell wrote:I can't imagine why you couldn't install it if you can find it. 2.3 is in the repositories somewhere so there is nothing to installing that. If you can get a .deb file it's easy to install it with gdebi, and compiling/installing from source isn't that hard.
I have 2.3 installed, I want 2.4. I can't find any .debs or anything relating to installing 2.4 at all.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

It looks like you have two choices: compile/install from source or wait for 2.4 to be available in the repos.
fatalGlory

Post by fatalGlory »

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but just to document in case someone else stumbles across this one, there is a clean way to get Audacious 2.4 in LMDE and other Debian distros. It's called apt-pinning and it requires editing a couple of configuration files (but don't worry the files in question are very easy to understand).

Here's a good tutorial.

In the tutorial example, he only sets up for getting packages from unstable, to set up audacious 2.4 (at the time of writing), you will also need to add another repository called "experimental".

The following packages must be installed from unstable using a command like

Code: Select all

apt-get install -t unstable package-name
libmowgli2

The following packages must be installed from experimental using a command like

Code: Select all

apt-get install package-name/experimental
libaudclient2
libaudcore1
audacious-plugins
audacious

The reason these two commands are slightly different is documented in the tutorial. Basically, the first one tells APT to pull in dependencies from unstable as well, the second one tells APT to only get the specific package from experimental and try to satisfy all the dependencies from stable or wherever they would normally come from (because we don't want to install experimental packages unnecessarily). The reason audacious 2.4 is in experimental is because one of its dependencies (libmowgli) hasn't been brought into unstable, etc. yet. It's libmowgli that is the bottleneck. Reading some mailing lists, it appears that the package maintainer for libmowgli is unreachable or something.

Return to “LMDE Archive”