Now what?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
biffer
Level 2
Level 2

Now what?

Post by biffer »

I've downloaded Mint Debian. I want to burn it to a DVD. Do I have to select 'extract' first? If I do, will things be clear from there?

I hope you all had a good Christmas/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Now what?

Post by wayne128 »

biffer wrote:I've downloaded Mint Debian. I want to burn it to a DVD. Do I have to select 'extract' first? If I do, will things be clear from there?

I hope you all had a good Christmas/
If this is 32-bit version, stop and do not do anything, wait for new release.
Written by Clem on December 28th, 2010

LMDE:

* We’re currently addressing the “Black Screen of Death” bug and re-spinning the 32-bit ISO which is likely to be released sometime this week as “201101″ to avoid confusion with the current ISO. This bug is preventing many people from running the live CD.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Standard procedure once you get an .iso file that is usable is to burn the image directly to disk. Exactly how you do this will depend on what CD/DVD burner you are using. Please post back with information on what Operating System (Windows or Linux) you are going to be burning the DVD from and what DVD burner you will be using and we will walk you through it.

AS a first advice, you do not need to extract anything from the .iso file. It will be burned to DVD as a single image.
caprus

Post by caprus »

biffer wrote:I've downloaded Mint Debian. I want to burn it to a DVD. Do I have to select 'extract' first?
The simplest answer to your question is "No".

In fact the process very, very easy, but the actual steps vary depending on the software you're planning to use. Usually the process is something like click on "more actions" then on "burn image" (using K3b).

If you need more specific information, it would be a lot easier to advise you if we know what OS you're running now and what software you plan to use to create the DVD.
biffer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by biffer »

Thanks for your replies. I'm using PCLinuxOS as my one and only OS at the moment. I have partitioned my HDD with a spare partition on which I hope to put Mint Debian.

When I downloaded Mint Debian I found the download in 'Tools' under Firefox. Double clicking on the MD file gives me a list of files starting with 'Casper', going thru 'isolinux', each with a few other subsidiary files beneath them. No mention of burning to a dvd, or anything like that.

When I right clicked on the file, I originally got an 'extract' option. Now I just get a few - ah, I think I've got it. I've clicked on 'open containing folder' which opened a Konqueror downloads page showing a 'Linuxmint' icon. Right clicking on that and then selecting 'actions' gives me a couple of promising options:

'create image to disc with K3B' and 'create file project with K3B'.

Or, there are also a couple of options to 'extract the archive to' and 'extract the archive here'.

So which one do I choose? (All this is a bit roundabout, isn't it?)
biffer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by biffer »

I've just re-read the thread again and realised that I should wait for the bug referred to by Wayne128 to be eliminated. I have downloaded the 32 bit version. I'll wait as there's no rush.

But when I download the improved version, which of the options I've just outlined should I go for? It seems odd to me that I could burn the file to a dvd without extracting it first.
crispata

Post by crispata »

Hi Biffer.

I don't use K3B, but 'create image to disc with K3B' is what I would think it would be based on the choices you provided.

An .iso image file represents the contents of an entire disc in a single file. After you burn the image to the disc, the resulting disc will have the directory structure you have described.

If (as an example of what not to do) you would make a "data disc" and copy that file to it, you would have a disc with that single .iso file as its only contents -- this would not do you any good.

If you extracted it, then burned the contents to the disc as a "data disc", I'm pretty sure you'd find that the resulting disc would not be bootable, as the boot image info for the disc would not be present -- this being extra data that isn't (as I understand it) directly visible as a file.

Good luck!
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

It's quite simple really.

Download the desired Linux OS distro. Once you have the .iso file saved, there is no need to 'extract' anything.

Open whichever CD burning Tool/App/Program you use and 'burn the .iso file to a DVD.
Burn it as an 'image' and NOT 'data', at the slowest speed the App will allow.

Change the computers system BIOS to allow you to boot into the DVD drive.
Install the recently burned DVD with LMDE on it ... and reboot, then open as 'Live"

Play around and test that everything works and it is compatible with what you expect.
No need to install the LMDE right away. All in due time.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

How did you get PCLinuxOS on your computer in the first place? It's the same process.
biffer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by biffer »

Thanks for helping, guys.

I've got the idea now and should have no trouble when I download the improved version of Debian Mint.

I've had a strong tendency to buy in my Linux OS's largely because I had a restricted download quota from my then ISP. I've changed to a more generous provider now and can play about to learn something. Like now.

Happy New Year to everybody.

Return to “LMDE Archive”