Speed up your internet.

Contribute code & patches
Forum rules
No support questions here please

Re: Speed up your internet.

Postby helixblue on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:58 am

_h_ wrote:Google tracks *everything* you do going through their DNS, another reason why I use OpenDNS.

Actually, Google is pretty specific about what they do with your DNS requests: Basically, nothing. They store query logs for a log for 1-2 days, and don't correlate your requests with any other data: http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/privacy.html - As a Googler familiar with these services (and the author of namebench, as well as a Linux Mint user), I'll tell you that they really mean what they say on this page. That said, competition is a good thing. =)
helixblue
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby helixblue on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:00 am

Detective RooTz wrote:"sudo python /namebench-1.1/namebench.py

namebench does not need root access at all - please do not use sudo.
helixblue
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK Dave on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:41 pm

This doesn't "speed up your internet". All you're doing with this is using a script to identify the lowest latency, fastest responding, domain name server. The physical transmission speed of packets is unaffected by this. Therefore your actual "internet speed" is unaffected, unless you're doing something which generates a lot of dns requests. In which case you're doing something wrong, or the website you're attempting to use is doing something wrong.

What MAY be affected is the lag time between clicking on a random link to a new website which has not yet been cached by your browser, and that site's homepage popping up. If you're doing random feeling-lucky google web browsing, bouncing from site to site, you might observe individual pages begin to load a fraction faster. Maybe. But the graphics and features of the website won't actually load any faster.

An excellent example:
You might possibly open a tab to http://www.photobucket.com a little faster, but you won't upload or download images any faster.

The ONLY thing that namebench can affect is "dns latency", and that by helping you identify the dns server with the lowest latency.

This thread name pretty much screams, to me, "I don't know how TCP/IP really works".
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby wormboy on Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 am

Awesome! Now I can download the internet a whole lot faster!
Thanks, NameBench 8)
wormboy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jroa on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:58 pm

cherylfoster wrote:Just what good do you think Google gets to spend all this money to provide a complete alternative DNS structure for you to use when the current works very well. You may wonder why a large advertising agency would do so and let me give you a proposal - charity and kindness in their hearts do not come into it.

cherylfoster, you copied and pasted the same response that remoulder had more than 6 months ago. Why would you do that?

Anyway, since the post is open again, the speed of the DNS server only affects how fast you are directed to a webpage, not how fast the internet works. If one DNS server takes 2 seconds to direct your inquiry to a page and another takes 1 second, then yes, one is 100% faster than the other. But, after you are directed there, a lot of other factors affect the speed of the page loading. All a DNS server does is maintain a database of web-page names and IP addresses. When you type in google.com, for example, a DNS server must decide what the actual IP address of google.com is and redirect you there. I know this is an over simplification, but this is basically what happens.

So, in short, a fast DNS server takes less time to direct your query to the proper website than a slower one does. And you can save a little time with a fast DNS server. But, there are many variables involved in the actual speed of your Internet and I would venture to say that the DNS server is usually responsible for milliseconds of each request.
jroa
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Aging Technogeek on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:28 pm

cherylfoster's post was only a way to get a spam link posted to the forum. The post was deleted and cherylfoster was banned.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby veni on Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:04 pm

Hey,just follow some tips to make your speed up
-->Configure your browser so it won't display graphics, animations, sound, video or other multimedia content (see "How to Turn Off Sounds, Pictures or Video on Web Pages").
-->Surf when Internet traffic is low. Heaviest traffic is usually on weekends and evenings.
-->Use your cache effectively. "Cache" refers to storage space where your recently visited Web sites are saved. You may need to resize your cache allotment, or you may need to purge your cache periodically. Look through your browser's menus for items named Cache, Temporary Internet files and so on.
-->Upgrade your modem.
-->Consult with your Internet service provider to ensure that your modem is configured correctly.
-->Replace your telephone modem with a fast-access connection such as wave, ISDN, DSL, satellite, a cable modem.
and now check your connection speed here ip-details.com
even then your connection speed didnt get speed up then you better contact your service provider..
veni
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lumikki on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:31 pm

Also you can block some "extra" DNS query needs, by just fake in host-file many of web-pages outside advertise and tracing request.
Basic idea is turn all extra off. Less "stuff" you see and less queries there is to make, faster the browsing is.
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, radeon 6540 (Gallium 0.4), 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1920x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon, Windows 7
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Speed up your internet.

Postby animaguy on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:49 pm

veni,

when it comes to modems, what if you connected your modem to a solid netgear router,

is the modem still an issue, should I still contact my internet service provider to check the configurations?

eventually i want to finish building a one domain dedicated webserver, are the modem configs going to make a difference in speed?
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4

Speed up your internet.

Postby animaguy on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:52 pm

as far as the original post is concerned, it is fun to play with google but google doesnt have a reliable history of privacy, if you are completely transparent about your internet use and most of your stuff is business than google is a worthy option. but the personal and confidential it gets, google just isnt a reliable aource for privacy

that is my opinion
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4

Postby millpond on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:15 pm

For commonly used sites the best DNS server is your Hosts file.

Use a VPN and google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 nameservers would be pretty harmless .

Google sucks, but the other search engines suck worse.
millpond
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Code & Patches