LMDE 64bit - The 1st 64bit OS that I've ever used

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

LMDE 64bit - The 1st 64bit OS that I've ever used

Post by KenWeiLL »

LMDE 64bit is the first 64bit Operating System that I have ever used.
I haven't used 64bit of windows nor any other OS. Not until LMDE 64bit came out.

I wanted to try LMDE 32bit December release but have had problems with it. Can't get to GUI with just blank display. With compatibility mode, still black display but with blinking cursor. This happened on my Desktop. On laptop, 32bit reached GUI but have had problems with the touchpad. Can't click directly by just pressing the touchpad itself.

So I decided to try a 64bit OS for the first time. LMDE. Haven't tried it on my laptop, the 64bit, but on the desktop, no problem so far. I was able to reach GUI with livedvd. Installed it and it works extremely fast.

Though, I only have 1.5gig of memory, it feels like my system is extremely fast. Is this the reason why other users are very excited about 64bit edition of LMDE?
I can't believe that my system with 64bit LMDE works too damn fast. I have used LMDE 32bit on the same system, the previous release and its performance, boot time, responsiveness, is nothing compared to this 64bit of LMDE. It's too damn fast.

Before, I don't want to use 64bit OS since I've heard about some problems about 64bit OSes, specifically flash problems with 64bit OS. But with LMDE, flash is installed by default.

My next adventure would probably be installing proprietary driver of my nvidia video card, fx5500. Last time, I have problems with it with my LED screen, that won't fit well on my screen. Until I've read a guide of installing nvidia card for fedora, asked there about my problem and luckily, pointed to another link how to solve the problem. I asked before on Ubuntu and Mint's forum yet, haven't solved it. Though, the solution was for fedora, it did work on LM10 and probably will work on LMDE 64.

Adding "Modeline “1360×765″ 85.5 1360 1440 1552 1792 768 771 777 795 +hsync +vsync" on Monitor section and "Option “MetaModes” “CRT: 1360×765″" on Screen section.

Haven't tried it yet but I hope the same solution would work.

LMDE 64bit rocks............

Thanks a lot to the Linux Mint team and devs.........
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website
Dennis99

Re: LMDE 64bit - The 1st 64bit OS that I've ever used

Post by Dennis99 »

I have just done the same on my desktop! :D
Had problems with 32 bit live dvd not loading so tried 64 bit and wow! As you say it's fast, I have 4gb of memory and webpages, for example, render virtually instantly.
I have nvidia graphics too and need to look at getting the best from my card.

The 32 bit live dvd loads up fine on my laptop (HP 530) but wireless does not work whereas it always has straight away before.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Congratulation.

Same here

Read my post on install time:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=62418
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWeiLL »

My wireless on laptop does not work as well on LMDE, Sabayon, and Fedora.
But works out of the box with Linux Mint Main, Ubuntu, and PCLinuxOS.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

KenWeiLL wrote:My wireless on laptop does not work as well on LMDE, Sabayon, and Fedora.
But works out of the box with Linux Mint Main, Ubuntu, and PCLinuxOS.
This sounds like a configuration issue, not a capability. Broadcom device? Post the device and problem in another thread and you'll get some good help here.

My 64 bit experience with LMDE has been spectacular. 2 machines, no issues. VERY fast and all hardware working perfectly. Only step left is to get my nVidia driver going on an old desktop....another day though.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

LMDE201012 64bit is the first 65bit OS I've tried, too. It works flawlessly! Clem and the developers have a winner here :D
tacoz

Post by tacoz »

I was using a number of versions of the main edition of Mint in 64-bit and when LMDE first came out I moved over. I could see that *some* 32-bit apps were slower... like those to do with media production. When the 64-bit LMDE arrived the other day I went for a fresh install, hey... it was the day after Christmas, so I was up to giving my machine a present too. I also run win7 64-bit in Oracle VirtualBox (no dual booting). I have to say that that instance runs better on Linux than it does as a localhost OS. Go figure! Point is... my wife's laptop runs std Mint Gnome 32-bit, it has similar specs to mine... but you can bet if you want any video ripping done... for sure you gonna do it on my machine! And I really like being back with Debian again!
red123

Post by red123 »

Am I the one who thought LMDE 64 bit was really slow? For some reason I kept freezing for like 10 seconds, especially on firefox. Went back to LM10 and everything was back to normal. Guess my laptop is not compatible with it. LMDE 32 wasreally fast on my desktop.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

red, I don't experience any speed issues, but then again, 32 bit LMDE didn't feel this snappy to me as others had claimed. Did you have the correct version of flash to match the distro (64 bit OS and 64 bit flash, for example), updated video drivers, etc? If so it does seem like something wasn't right between the OS and the machine. It's too bad it didn't work as well for you, but it could be a bug for sure. I didn't have great luck with Mint 10 so the 64 bit LMDE was a blessing for me, although Mint 9 was awesome.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

red123 wrote:Am I the one who thought LMDE 64 bit was really slow? For some reason I kept freezing for like 10 seconds, especially on firefox. Went back to LM10 and everything was back to normal. Guess my laptop is not compatible with it. LMDE 32 wasreally fast on my desktop.
Sound like you had a bad install?

Both my LMDE on intel i3 and AMD Athlon are snappier than the 32-bit version.
No freezing.. My firefox had many tabs running all at the same time :)
I did total update on intel i3, some 150+ updates (L3) for testing purpose. Still running as snappy as original installation. :)
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWeiLL »

I have experience freezing a very long time ago. On IBM machines. Disabling acpi and apic solves the problem. I'm just not sure if the same procedure would work on newer kernels. Try adding noapic noacpi acpi=off apic=off in your grub. It might work but I'm not sure.

I have experience freezing lately on newer kernels only on Sabayon, not on LMDE.

Return to “LMDE Archive”