Down with Microsoft

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DougSM69

Down with Microsoft

Post by DougSM69 »

Hi. I am a newcomer to Linux. I've played around with Knoppix and Kubuntu before, running the live CD's. I used to have XP Pro sp3 until a virus damaged my O/S so much I had to do a repair install. When it came to activation, I found that my activation key wasn't being accepted and I was prompted to phone Microsuck to solve the issue, however, they were their usual selves and informed me that I'd have to buy another copy of XP or risk losing all my files. I decided there and then to dump Microsoft. I installed Linux Mint and lo and behold, all my files were there for me. However, I have a Samsung NP-R40 and my machine isn't working properly. Can anyone tell me where I can get all my hardware drivers from as my machine was built for XP or Vista. The don't seem to have any listings on the net for Linux on a Samsung R40... Thanks, any help would be really appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Down with Microsoft

Post by willie42 »

Welcome to Linux Mint forums.....If you can what ever questions about Drivers and such list under Newbie questions. you can get assistance there. :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
jesica

Post by jesica »

hallo and welcome to the forum
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Welcome to Mint

To be fair. I have always found Microsoft to be helpful. I frequently call the activation line and they will do all they can to get you activated. Thought it only fair to say that.
Windows can be trouble when Virus' are about etc... But if you employ user login principles (like that found in the Linux environment) and use good protective measures, windows can be much safer.

But yes, thank goodness for Mint. What a fantastic distro.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Community.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello DougSM69,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
Boringbytes

Post by Boringbytes »

Hi, Welcome to the Mint Forum
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Windows can be safer than Linux?! What do you smoke? :)

How to hack Windows:

cd %SystemRoot%\etc
notepad.exe -hosts

How to hack Linux:

Don't know any way... :)
pythagorean

Post by pythagorean »

I love Linux because it is fun. BUT... I have used Windows for as long as I have used computers and I never run any kind of anti-virus software and I have never had a virus on my computers AT ALL, so you must of clicked on something ridiculous to get a virus that destroyed your OS. The fact that you are not very good at using your computer is not someone else's fault.

Also, whenever you call the Windows Activation 800 number you just go through the activation prompts that ask you to read out the numbers printed on your screen to activate your copy of windows. I have done this probably 20 times over the years because I moved my windows installs from one computer to the next and next and on and on. I have never encountered anyone who said "you have to buy a new copy of windows" when I called the 800 number. I have installed and reinstalled windows XP, Vista Ultimate and 7 on numerous machines and all ever did was call the number and reactivate. At the very least you can go on ebay and get a new copy of any version of windows. I just bought Vista Utimate for 50 bucks two weeks ago and installed it on a laptop. A very good deal.

So, seriously, when you are using Linux and you don't have anyone to blame for why your computer doesn't work, then who are you going to call?

That said, welcome to Mint. Its really fun to spend 4 hours combing through forum threads trying to figure out how to get networking and suchlike to work properly. Good luck.

As for the previous poster who wrote they don't know any way to hack linux... just try the upgrade or update option with ANY linux install. It will generally speaking bork your system and you will spend at least several hours trying to figure out why this most recent round up updates broke your system.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Many who use window have had issues including myself while others have not. Windows are good for some and other well its not a really good option. Linux is fun and meets most peoples needs once everything is configured. You may not like Linux and may think Windows is the best setup for you. Some on here run them side by side or in vitural box. It all depends on your needs.

Good Luck to you in your adventures :P
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”