Programs not needed starting on sartup

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Programs not needed starting on sartup

Post by jhouse59 »

Ever time I reboot my computer. I've got two programs that start on startup. I don't know why they started doing this. Does anyone know how to stop them from loading? They're gedit 2.18.1 and KeePassX. So I don't need them all the time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Are you on gnome or KDE?
In gnome you have the session manager in the control panel to check. I remember unsuccessfully looking for it in KDE
However gedit at start up?
Stretch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stretch »

In KDE there is a setting in the Control Center to start with either a new (empty) session or to start with last session.
Husse

Post by Husse »

start with either a new (empty) session or to start with last session
Yes but to "edit" the session like in "Session manager" in Gnome....
I mainly use the gnome version...
Stretch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stretch »

There is no real equivalent in KDE.

The nearest thing to it is making a link to your applications in the Autostart folder (~/.kde/Autostart afaik). I use Gnome so I am not so familair with KDE.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ jhouse59
Have you checked the autostart folder?
I could imagine something ending up there by mistake
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

Husse wrote:Are you on gnome or KDE?
In gnome you have the session manager in the control panel to check. I remember unsuccessfully looking for it in KDE
However gedit at start up?
I'm using gnome.I done a quick search of it. Haven't found it yet.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry - you are in gnome as you have gedit - was carried away by the discussion about session manager in KDE
Anything in Control center>Sessions ?
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

Husse wrote:@ jhouse59
Have you checked the autostart folder?
I could imagine something ending up there by mistake
I looked in /usr/share/autostart. There are 5 files kab2kabc (desktop configuration file),KDE Desktop (desktop configuration file),KDE Panel (desktop configuration file),Konqueror Preloading During KDE startup (desktop configuration file),and No name (desktop configuration file).I don't know why KDE files are on a GNOME desktop.

Husse wrote:Sorry - you are in gnome as you have gedit - was carried away by the discussion about session manager in KDE
Anything in Control center>Sessions ?
The only thing in Sessions on the Startup Programs is 3 Beagle Search,Evolution Alarm Notifier,Network Manager,Power Manager,Restricted Drivers Manager, Update Notifier, and Voume Manager.
Husse

Post by Husse »

There are always (?) some KDE files in gnome and the other way round as applications from KDE can bu used in gnome (and...)
In my Celena autostart I find kab2kabc, KDE Desktop and Noname - can't open them :)
I really doubt gedit would be opened from here but possibly KeePassX. I read that KeePassX is an application for people with extremly high demands on secure personal data management. Do you have such demands, and have you installed it?
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

Husse wrote:... KeePassX. I read that KeePassX is an application for people with extremly high demands on secure personal data management. Do you have such demands, and have you installed it?
I just use KeePassX to keep all my passwords in one place.That way I just have to remember one password.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Do you have wifi?
If so and if you've replaced the keyring with KeePassX it opens so you can verify the wep/wpa password stored in there (see the wifi section for a solution to not have it do that)
gedit stumps me though....
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

Husse wrote:Do you have wifi?
If so and if you've replaced the keyring with KeePassX it opens so you can verify the wep/wpa password stored in there (see the wifi section for a solution to not have it do that)
gedit stumps me though....
I have a wireless router. But, this just started the other day. I've never used keyring.I've opened it up a few times.Really don't know what it does.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Run this command in a terminal

Code: Select all

grep -r -i -o -s -I "gedit" /etc/init.d/*
the last letter in -r -i -o -s -I is a major i as in I am
You should not find anything - if you do that explains why gedit starts
You could try it for the entire /etc and you should only have hits in the fonts and gnome folders
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

Husse wrote:Run this command in a terminal

Code: Select all

grep -r -i -o -s -I "gedit" /etc/init.d/*
the last letter in -r -i -o -s -I is a major i as in I am
You should not find anything - if you do that explains why gedit starts
You could try it for the entire /etc and you should only have hits in the fonts and gnome folders

Just got hits in the fonts and gnome folders.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

Husse thought I'd let you know. I've installed Celena. I still have Cassandra. When I booted back into Cassandra.
Under Sessions in the Control Center. I had unchecked “Beagle Search Daemon and Beagle Search Tool (it was listed twice)â€￾. When I had done this. I noticed that “gedit and KeePassXâ€￾ didn't start up during reboot.
Then I enabled them one at a time (rebooting each time). The programs never did restart. I don't know if that had any thing to do with it or not. But, I don't remember doing any thing else to cause them to stop starting up.
Any way thanks for your help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”