[SOLVED] 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Post by malligt »

Just downloaded and installed 2011 32bit LMDE on a live usb drive from HEAnet.

Black screen of death is still present .....(very sorry to post this)

EDIT: 12/31/2010 According to Clem, the wrong 2011 ISO had mistakenly been sent to the mirror sites. He asks us to wait until he makes the official announcement of the (corrected) 2011 01 32bit release.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Post by rdonnelly »

It is the video, Nvidia does this. I have Intel OB video as well, I can get to the install if I set it to OB and move the monitor cable to the OB port. I was never able to successfully install LMDE yet?
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

I've been successfully running the first (201009) 32bit version of LMDE on a Dell 8400 desktop computer. I also have that version on a live usb drive.

I thought it would be time to put the newer release version on a usb pendrive to a.) replace the older version and b.) to demonstrate to friends clients etc....

The 2011 01 version 32 bit version I mentioned above starts up as expected (with all the scripts, etc.).... but then it just goes black and STAYS black.....never reaching the linux mint splash screen.....

It is my belief that the 2010-12 32 bit version of LMDE should be immediately withdrawn from the mirror sites to avoid further conflicts, but hey, it's just my 2 cents here...

I know they'll get it fixed....
spsf64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spsf64 »

Just downloaded the new 2011-01 iso 32 bit, still no go…
Same problems as before with endless beeps and black screen on nvidia VGA
I think 32bit won't succeed :( Why not just a RC or Beta before the release?
The Team should remove all the 32bit ISOs from servers, it will hurt Mint's reputation really bad...
Last edited by spsf64 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergio
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

@spsf64

You can still download the 2010 09 32bit version, that does work, and then go thru the sudo apt-get update, and then sudo apt-get dist-upgrade....and you'll have the latest version....

But the point is that the 2010 12, and 2011 01 in 32 bit have major issues to be resolved....The Mint Dev team is the absolute best in the linux world, and the'll fix this....

Yes, it's kinda sad that this glitch/bug happened, but we're all human, and in a constant pursuit of perfection.

Mint is tops in that pursuit in my opinion...
oldrong

Post by oldrong »

Just a question. Have any of you tried to insert "nomodeset" into the boot parameters at boot up on the "live"DVD?
I believe there is an option to add, or change the boot parameters before booting to the live screen. If indeed it works, you will have to install, then do the same thing at boot into the newly installed system, install the proper Nvidia drivers, and then reboot.
I had to do this with all installs based on Debian, or Ubuntu since about two versions back, but it did work. I don't have that PC any longer to test it on, but it may be worth a shot.
defcon

Post by defcon »

malligt wrote:Just downloaded and installed 2011 32bit LMDE on a live usb drive from HEAnet.

Black screen of death is still present .....(very sorry to post this)

Please wait with install until clem has announced that 2011.01 is official out.
Nottyl

Post by Nottyl »

I have the new live dvd freeze at "avahi dsn deamon" or something to that effect. The live seems to have problems with the network. In any case it cannot boot.
Kittum

Post by Kittum »

I suppose I am posting this to be a bit of encouragement.

Has anyone that has installed 2011 01 32bit, have they (perhaps you) some good news to report about it?

I have to admit that events like this bring out some things to admire about this little community. Clem and company was up front about a few rough edges along the way; they were honest about that. On the other hand, here are all the rest of us participating in this little project anyway. I'm not sure what to call it but brave and adventurous comes to mind and I like being a part of that. :)
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Why are you guys installing from an ISO that has not yet been finished?
oldrong

Post by oldrong »

randomizer wrote:Why are you guys installing from an ISO that has not yet been finished?
There was a release on Distro Watch, and I believe that is what they are using.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

This can be looked at as a test of the software. you have to think that they work hard and trying to solve the BSOD. They are working on it.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Illuminati2012

Post by Illuminati2012 »

Here is what Clem said in the comments on the blog about LMDE:

I forgot to mention three important things:

- Please do not download the ISO until it is officially announced (We’ll be releasing 201101 shortly but it’s not available yet. If you managed to download it already, you’re just running the wrong ISO.)
- If you downloaded 201012 and you’re getting a black screen you can try the following kernel arguments: “nomodeset” for nvidia, “nouveau.modeset=0″ for nforce/gforce and generic, “radeon.modeset=0″ for ATI cards. This should let you boot the live session and install LMDE. Post-install you’ll be running an up-to-date kernel, so you won’t need to modify your grub settings for things to work.
- The upcoming 201101 ISO should work fine for most chipsets in normal or compatibility modes without using any modesetting kernel arguments. I could personally observe that on two nvidia and one intel systems. We’ll be testing the ISO on more systems, including ATI chipsets, before releasing it.

Source: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1610#comments

It's not yet finished.
oldrong

Post by oldrong »

Illuminati2012 wrote:Here is what Clem said in the comments on the blog about LMDE:

- Please do not download the ISO until it is officially announced (We’ll be releasing 201101 shortly but it’s not available yet. If you managed to download it already, you’re just running the wrong ISO.)
- If you downloaded 201012 and you’re getting a black screen you can try the following kernel arguments: “nomodeset” for nvidia, “nouveau.modeset=0″ for nforce/gforce and generic, “radeon.modeset=0″ for ATI cards. This should let you boot the live session and install LMDE. Post-install you’ll be running an up-to-date kernel, so you won’t need to modify your grub settings for things to work.
- The upcoming 201101 ISO should work fine for most chipsets in normal or compatibility modes without using any modesetting kernel arguments. I could personally observe that on two nvidia and one intel systems. We’ll be testing the ISO on more systems, including ATI chipsets, before releasing it.

It's not yet finished.
Maybe not, but it is on Distrowatch, as a release, on 12/24/2010
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

oldrong wrote:
Illuminati2012 wrote:Here is what Clem said in the comments on the blog about LMDE:

It's not yet finished.
Maybe not, but it is on Distrowatch, as a release, on 12/24/2010
the one on the distrowatch page is the 201012 the one that clem is saying that is not finished is the 201101 iso
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

oldrong wrote:There was a release on Distro Watch, and I believe that is what they are using.
The title of this thread indicates that we are talking about the unfinished ISO.
oldrong

Post by oldrong »

randomizer wrote:
oldrong wrote:There was a release on Distro Watch, and I believe that is what they are using.
The title of this thread indicates that we are talking about the unfinished ISO.
None the less, the release on Distrowatch is having the same results (black screen of death, also in the title)and a friend on the Peppermint forum is experiencing the same issues with that 386 release. Thats all I am trying to get across.
gotjazz

Re: [SOLVED] 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Post by gotjazz »

well - distrowatch has 201012 - not 201101. And in 201012 that's a known problem and the whole point of 201101 (which is NOT released yet) is fixing just that.....
Striker

Post by Striker »

Lookie here:

Edit: link deleted.

It's a mirror, and I don't know if it's official, but it's there.
Last edited by Striker on Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Just wait until the official announcement on the blog. Then you will know that it is official.

Return to “LMDE Archive”