HOWTO: Emerald on LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cpatrick08

Re: HOWTO: Emerald on LMDE

Post by cpatrick08 »

tec_wiz wrote:wget -O - http://packages.ikey-doherty.com/key.asc | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install emerald
thank you so much you solved my problem
extremejosh

Post by extremejosh »

I need some help installing this i used your .deb package on the 32bit LMDE but i just got the 64bit one today and cant use that so i tried building it myself using your instruction witch id like to add ive never done this before so not sure what im doing when installing the dependencies with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev libxrender-dev libwnck-dev libdecoration0-dev libcairo2-dev libpango1.0-dev intltool
this is my output

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
intltool is already the newest version.
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libcairo2-dev : Depends: libcairo-gobject2 (= 1.10.0-1ubuntu2) but it is not installable
                 Depends: libfontconfig1-dev (>= 2.2.95) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libpixman-1-dev (>= 0.18.4) but it is not going to be installed
 libpango1.0-dev : Depends: libxft-dev but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libfontconfig1-dev (>= 2.1.91) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
no idea what to do with that when it says some of those packages depends on other packages that are not installable
so can anyone help me with this little problem?
EDIT: is there a .deb package for 64bit?
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

Is the outage of the frickelplatz.de repository permanent, or will it be coming back online?
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

FYI , for those looking for a 64-bit Emerald. You can add the repository of Shame to your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/shames/de ... /unstable/ ./

I was then able to install Emerald 0.7.9 without it "upgrading" any compiz packages. After installing Emerald I then commented this repository out of my sources.list file so that it wouldn't try to "upgrade" compiz. (The default compiz installed is newer and more stable than the one in Shame's repository, but for some reason apt views Shame's files as an "upgrade").

It would be nice to have Emerald added to the Mint repository since Debian seems not to care nor want to maintain it in its repos.
trpdoran

Post by trpdoran »

Thanks! With your assistance I managed to waste a considerable amount of time tweaking my netbook until I got this dark glassy desktop.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

thanks...us 64 bit users use Emerald too :) Can a 32 and 64 bit package be put into Mint repos for us?
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

TheGreatSudoku wrote:FYI , for those looking for a 64-bit Emerald. You can add the repository of Shame to your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/shames/de ... /unstable/ ./

I was then able to install Emerald 0.7.9 without it "upgrading" any compiz packages. After installing Emerald I then commented this repository out of my sources.list file so that it wouldn't try to "upgrade" compiz. (The default compiz installed is newer and more stable than the one in Shame's repository, but for some reason apt views Shame's files as an "upgrade").

It would be nice to have Emerald added to the Mint repository since Debian seems not to care nor want to maintain it in its repos.
Is this repo still valid? Is there a Key? I can't get onto it. thanks

EDIT:

deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/shames/debian-sid/desktopfx/unstable/ ./
wget http://download.tuxfamily.org/shames/A42A6CF5.gpg -O- | apt-key add -
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
sumski

Post by sumski »

extremejosh wrote:I need some help installing this i used your .deb package on the 32bit LMDE but i just got the 64bit one today and cant use that so i tried building it myself using your instruction witch id like to add ive never done this before so not sure what im doing when installing the dependencies with

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev libxrender-dev libwnck-dev libdecoration0-dev libcairo2-dev libpango1.0-dev intltool
this is my output

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
intltool is already the newest version.
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libcairo2-dev : Depends: libcairo-gobject2 (= 1.10.0-1ubuntu2) but it is not installable
                 Depends: libfontconfig1-dev (>= 2.2.95) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libpixman-1-dev (>= 0.18.4) but it is not going to be installed
 libpango1.0-dev : Depends: libxft-dev but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libfontconfig1-dev (>= 2.1.91) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
no idea what to do with that when it says some of those packages depends on other packages that are not installable
so can anyone help me with this little problem?
EDIT: is there a .deb package for 64bit?

try with sudo aptitude install libgtk2.0-dev libxrender-dev libwnck-dev libdecoration0-dev libcairo2-dev libpango1.0-dev intltool

aptitude is "smarter" with handling dependencies
debian_bugsbunny

Post by debian_bugsbunny »

If you're running LMDE why do you have ubuntu packages showing up? You shouldn't have any Ubuntu repositories in your sources.list
libcairo2-dev : Depends: libcairo-gobject2 (= 1.10.0-1ubuntu2)
Also libcairo-gobject2 is only available in Debian from the experimental repos. This looks like you're pulling libcairo2-dev from the maverick repository
timmer1240

Post by timmer1240 »

Thank you for this I was looking for this Many Thanks!
trollboy

Post by trollboy »

Awesome. Thank you for this and as you asked for some screenshots, here they are. Click for a full sized view

The desktop

With windows open

The application switcher
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

What happened to Ikey's repo? Is it not working anymore?
stz*j

Post by stz*j »

I'll save you some trouble perhaps, finally found a good site that has the .deb files, easy install. Sheesh, can't believe it took me so much time to get emerald installed and running, just realized how much I've missed out on the linux world, emerald is cool! Anyways, here's the link: http://xntek.com/emerald-debian/

Version 0.8.4 only tho, hope that's ok :) I'd prefer compiling but somehow, it just doesn't want to play nice with me :lol:
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

Thank you, guys! Unfortunately the package found in the above link is only for 32-bit, doesn't work on 64-bit machines.
I managed to install (an older) Emerald though:
- download and install this: http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/amd64/ ... 0/download
- and then this one: http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/amd64/emerald/download

As I said it's an old version but at least it works on 64-bit.

@Ikey: if you have many time and more people wants a newer version of Emerald then you can set up a repo for that, but if there's no need then don't waste your time. :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”