Mint9KDE and KDE4.5?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Steven Lake

Mint9KDE and KDE4.5?

Post by Steven Lake »

I was just wondering when and if Mint9KDE might get an upgrade from KDE4.4 to 4.5? I know 4.5 came out shortly after Mint9KDE was released, and I don't really know how hard it would be to make that upgrade, so I'm just asking to see if it was possible, and if so, when it might happen. 4.4 is alright for me now, but I would really love 4.5 as it has some important advantages to me. Plus I only run LTS releases (I do too much important stuff to be upgrading versions every 6-12 months), so the next major KDE version bump for me (outside of a version bump inside Mint9KDE) would be on the next LTS release, which won't be until Mint13KDE. So any information would be hugely helpful. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I_can_see_the_light

Re: Mint9KDE and KDE4.5?

Post by I_can_see_the_light »

I'm using the current LTS-version of Kubuntu and I've upgraded by using the Kubuntu Backports ppa.

Other people at this forum seem to have made the upgrade successfully as well.
Steven Lake

Post by Steven Lake »

Thanks for the reply! :) I'll give it a try sometime soon, schedule permitting.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

I_can_see_the_light wrote:I'm using the current LTS-version of Kubuntu and I've upgraded by using the Kubuntu Backports ppa.

but if you do that you cant update to linux mint kde 10 you will have to do a clean install
colyn

Post by colyn »

cpatrick08 wrote:
I_can_see_the_light wrote:I'm using the current LTS-version of Kubuntu and I've upgraded by using the Kubuntu Backports ppa.

but if you do that you cant update to linux mint kde 10 you will have to do a clean install
A clean install is the best way since upgrades can go bad and cause problems..
I_can_see_the_light

Post by I_can_see_the_light »

cpatrick08 wrote:

The OP wasn't interested in upgrading other than to LTS-releases so I didn't see that as a problem. Anyway, like someone else suggested it's usually better to make clean installs anyway, and if you have /home on a separate partition you can keep any files or settings you want. I usually delete most of the config-files from my /home and only keep my personal files.
Steven Lake

Post by Steven Lake »

Yeah, as stated before I'm only interested in the LTS releases, and I only upgrade through clean installs, so this won't be an issue.

Return to “Software & Applications”