[SOLVED]Google Earth won't open

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
pottzie

[SOLVED]Google Earth won't open

Post by pottzie »

Just downloaded Google Earth using the Package Manager. It shows as installed, but when I try and open it, it flashes on screen for a second, then disappears. How can I get it to run?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Google Earth won't open

Post by willie42 »

open a terminal and try to run it command line and see what errors you get
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
pottzie

Post by pottzie »

I opened a terminal and ran "sudo google earth," but bash kinda went "confused? Command not found"
Well, it really didn't do the confused. But you could tell that it would have if it could have.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Hi, the command is: sudo googleearth
fuherb

Post by fuherb »

You might want to try this
http://ubuntulinuxmint.org/2010/10/get- ... tion-lmde/

It solve my problem.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

I also cannot open Google earth?

Code: Select all

gene@zordon ~ $ inxi -G

Graphics:  Card nVidia GT218 [GeForce 210] X.Org 1.7.7 Res: 1680x1050@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1

=================================================

gene@zordon ~ $ googleearth %f

/usr/lib32/googleearth/googleearth-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libQtCore.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
gene@zordon ~ $ 
Looked for - libQtCore.so.4 - in synaptic. Nothing there. Re installed Google Earth. No difference.

Could it be because I am running 64 bit Mint Debian?
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Try running /home/user/google-earth/googleearth %f, changing user to your username. You can also change the path in the desktop launcher.
pottzie

Post by pottzie »

Looks like Google Earth is in Home, but user isn't anywhere in the path.
Seems like I'm always heading down the wrong path. It's the creek>canoe>paddle-not-found syndrome.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Mint Cinnamon 20.1
pottzie

Post by pottzie »

The info in fuherb's link did the trick. It said to get libgl1-mesa-dri from the Package Manager, and reboot. Now it works. It also shows me that what I thought was a good graphics card may need an upgrade! It's s-l-o-w, but it works.

I installed Google Earth after reading about George Clooney leasing satellite time so that Sudan could be monitored. Sounds cool, thought I'd like to check that out.

http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/201 ... sudan.html

Anyway, this is solved, and thanks to everyone.
fuherb

Re: [SOLVED]Google Earth won't open

Post by fuherb »

Great that the trick helps.

Regarding speed, not sure if this help. You might try to go to View menu and uncheck the Atmosphere option. This could help to speed up a lot.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

pottzie wrote: I installed Google Earth after reading about George Clooney leasing satellite time so that Sudan could be monitored. Sounds cool, thought I'd like to check that out.
Google Earth won't help much with that. The aerial photos are static, and often several years old. You won't see any current activity. It's not a live satellite feed at all.
veleriya

Re: [SOLVED]Google Earth won't open

Post by veleriya »

What are the rules on using google maps in commercial work? Im designing a brochure for a company and wondered what are the rules on using google maps? also do you know of any other way of obtaining maps. thanks.
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

sgosnell wrote:
pottzie wrote: I installed Google Earth after reading about George Clooney leasing satellite time so that Sudan could be monitored. Sounds cool, thought I'd like to check that out.
Google Earth won't help much with that. The aerial photos are static, and often several years old. You won't see any current activity. It's not a live satellite feed at all.
True enough but but Google Earth users are creating .kmz and .kml overlays all the time so nothing stops Clooney from spending tons of money to buy sat time and then packaging the photos for Google Earth. The only stipulations I believe would be due to a matter of national security.

Kind of off topic for this thread but... :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Return to “LMDE Archive”